BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    The fact that they're having problems on some devices in no-others' fault but their own. Its not androids fault. Its the developer's.
    Right it is the developers fault. But isnt it androids fault that there isn't better consistency across platforms?

And that BGR story is completely laughable.
    why? Because you don't agree with it?

App sales is another stupid metric. Fact of the matter is that there are more potential customers holding android devices (when tallking smartphones, tablets are another sad, sad story) than iOS devices.
    Would it be a stupid metric if it didn't overwhelmingly show that iOS users are more likely to purchase apps?? That's sort of an important piece of information for anyone that's going to market an application isn't it?

Ultimately, thats why Android's marketshare has surpassed iOS's globally. Its because it represents choice.
    This make me laugh. It looks like its ripped straight from an Obama campaign ad.

I had choice when I chose the overall device to select. I CHOSE an iOS because it fits me much better and I appreciate the relative longevity purchasing an iOS device affords. I appreciate that it works seamlessly with the easiest to use music program, iTunes, and I appreciate that they now offer a cloud service that will auto synch my content.

So now, I'm going to chose to read some of my GW digital content on my iPad.

www.queencityguard.com

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    I CHOSE an iOS because it fits me much better and I appreciate the relative longevity purchasing an iOS device affords.
    I lol'd.

Isn't there reports of people already trading in their iPhones on the mere Rumour that the iPhone 5 will be released at the end of September?

And the way I remember it, they're still using the advert from iPhone 4S, a mere few months after it's release.

By my count, that longevity is about a year before another device comes along to take even more money.
    When life gives you lemon's... should have used a condom.

Librarian

Yes but because you have one apple account everything you've already got can be transferred to another apple device.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Diagnosis Ninja View Post
    I lol'd.

Isn't there reports of people already trading in their iPhones on the mere Rumour that the iPhone 5 will be released at the end of September?

And the way I remember it, they're still using the advert from iPhone 4S, a mere few months after it's release.

By my count, that longevity is about a year before another device comes along to take even more money.
    Let me restate:

My iPhone 4 will still work VERY well with any version of iOS that Apple releases when then iPhone 5 comes out. The same cannot be said for other devices.

I've had my iPhone for over two years and it has gone through all of the various iOS upgragdes seamlessly. In terms of cell phones, more than two years is a varitable eternity.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

Ugh - quotebombing... listen wittdooley, we're going to go back and forth. For every metric that I provide, you'll provide one in response. You'll claim that mine is worthless, I'll claim yours is biased, and its like a political debate where neither side is willing to acknowledge the validity of each others' arguments.

This make me laugh. It looks like its ripped straight from an Obama campaign ad.
    Sigh. It makes me sad to be associated with grifters such as the Obama campaign. That made me sad.

Here's a link that provides insight into how Android enthusiasts feel about the so called "fragmentation problem" of Android. It basically explains why we feel that its not a problem - but in fact a feature.
    [url]http://phandroid.com/2012/05/12/this-is-androids-fragmentation-and-it-is-still-a-feature-opinion/[/url]

As for your comment about iTunes - we're clearly never going to get to the middle ground where we agree about anything. iTunes has to be (along with quicktime) one of the worst applications ever created. Bulky, inefficient, overbearing, and completely bloated is how I feel about iTunes.

I had choice when I chose the overall device to select. I CHOSE an iOS because it fits me much better and I appreciate the relative longevity purchasing an iOS device affords.
    And I chose another avenue because 1) I don't like iOS's UI, 2) I don't like the tiny postage stamp of a screen of any Apple device 3) I don't like the social stigma attached to purchasing an iDevice. To me it screams fashion over function.

As for longevity, 1 year is longevity in iOS world these days. I'm going to really get a kick out of seeing Apple fans doing backflips over "3.5 inches is as big a screen as I'll ever need on a phone"

By the way, 4" is STILL too small for me, and a whole lot of other people.

So now, I'm going to chose to read some of my GW digital content on my iPad.
    And I'll do the same on my Xoom - since I've got OCR'd PDF's of all the books I own, saved to my GDrive so its available on any device or computer I want it to be on instantly

Yes but because you have one apple account everything you've already got can be transferred to another apple device.
    The fact that android has been doing this same thing since 2008 is apparently lost on iOS fans :P

Here's just what is synched on my Google account... note that I can have multiple accounts on the same device and I do... my work account has pretty much all of these as well through VPN...

Chapter-Master

The same cannot be said for other devices.
    My Wife's iPhone 3G would love to get iOS6. I don't even know if its possible to flash iOS6 to her phone.. is it?

Meanwhile, developers have JellyBean running on the HTC G1 (The first Android phone and its admittedly horribly slow but it works for the most part) :P

Chapter-Master

You're right that there's no point arguing, because beyond this whole iOS vs Android thing (and quite frankly, I dont have a problem against Android, beyond a simple not liking it) you and I usually agree and get along

I do think two things are interesting

1. Screen Size

I continue to be amazed by people wanting larger and larger screens for their phone. I must be in the minority, but I'm perfectly happy with the size of the iPhone 4's screen. I "guess" the 3.5 on the 5 will be nice, but at that point it seems a bit large for me. I'd prefer my phone to be about wallet size, and it's already stretching that. I won't ever wear one of those belt phone holsters (I mean, you may as well wear a fanny pack) so I want something that'll comfortably fit in my pocket.

2. Fashion over Function

Personally, I think the iPhone achieves both for many people. The "function" you've alluded to previously is function that my mother, my brother, my wife, a few of my programmer friends, and I must not need. I'm using my phone to text, talk, surf the web sometimes on the go, stream things sometimes on the go, and control presentations. Of course I also use my calendar and things like that, but I guess my problem is that i've never quite understood what other "function" one would want out of their phone. Then again, I have no interest in Jailbreaking my iPad, modding my PS3, or building my own computer, so maybe that's a piece of it.

Regardless of which camp you sit in, I think this War Room disaster at least serves as an exemplar to some of the potential problems one could incur when programming apps for both Android & iOS concurrently. Clearly they aren't simple ports, but I don't think you can overlook the relative ease of programming for one device vs many, at least in this respect.

www.queencityguard.com

Librarian

I have both an apple and android device and have nothing but trouble with the android one, crashes loads is slow etc, its only a year old my ipod touch from 5 years still runs faster and is more responsive. Also I don't have an android account and no option for it.

Chapter-Master

I continue to be amazed by people wanting larger and larger screens for their phone.
    For me, it was reading eBooks on my old OG Droid. I read the whole "The Passage" on that thing and when the Droid X came out I was like "oh yes - I need that screen". Truth be told, if I hadn't smashed the screen on the Droid X, I'd probably still have that phone. Anyways, I like the extra screen real-estate when browsing the web, looking at pictures etc. The phone still fits in my pocket just fine and is easy to reach all the corners of the screen using my thumb. I can use the swype keyboard perfectly fine with just one hand. My wife can even use it with her tiny hands. The Galaxy's Note's huge 5.3" screen is gorgeous but I think the phone itself is too big possibly. I haven't spent any time holding it yet so I don't know if that is really the case or not.

As for function, I'm trying to think of all the things I use my phone for. I use it for all the things you mentioned, but I feel that I'm much more efficient at it that I would be on an iOS device since all the information I need is on my homescreens in widgets. I don't have to actually go into an app to get my email, display bookmarks, ready my twitter or RSS feed or turn wifi or bluetooth on or off. I do use my phone as a mobile hotspot often when travelling away from my home office. I use it for mobile payments (Gwallet). video conference via G+ hangouts, Turn-byTurn Navigate with voice dictation, Control the ECM of my truck, look up weather reports, livestream my sailing adventures, listen to my cloud-based music over my bluetooth headphones in the gym, find local deals via Google Now and Offers when I'm out - then everything I use it for for work which is mostly web based applications that all work remarkably in the chrome browser.

When I visited Europe I had to get a GSM Nexus S since my Verizon Galaxy Nexus doesn't have GSM, and it was awesome having all the information that my daily driver phone had available on what amounted to a "burner" phone with a prepaid SIM. With google voice I even had my US phone number available overseas (although this DID take some hackery). Google Translate and Maps saved our bacon in Budapest a lot :P

Anyways this discussion veered way off topic and for that I apologize.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    As for function, I'm trying to think of all the things I use my phone for. I use it for all the things you mentioned, but I feel that I'm much more efficient at it that I would be on an iOS device since all the information I need is on my homescreens in widgets. I don't have to actually go into an app to get my email, display bookmarks, ready my twitter or RSS feed or turn wifi or bluetooth on or off. I do use my phone as a mobile hotspot often when travelling away from my home office. I use it for mobile payments (Gwallet). video conference via G+ hangouts, Turn-byTurn Navigate with voice dictation, Control the ECM of my truck, look up weather reports, livestream my sailing adventures, listen to my cloud-based music over my bluetooth headphones in the gym, find local deals via Google Now and Offers when I'm out - then everything I use it for for work which is mostly web based applications that all work remarkably in the chrome browser.
    Are these widgets that different than opening up an app? I honestly don't know, as I went straight from Blackberry to iPhone; I've never owned a Droid, I've only fooled around with others'.

What bluetooth headphones are you using? I'd love to get a pair, but I need them to survive the sweaty mess that becomes my ears when I work out. The people at Best Buy are less than usefull unless you want a pair of Beats by Dre (which are admittedly pretty nice, if not a bit too expensive).

www.queencityguard.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast