BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Concern my army is beardy....

So yeah, having great success with my Necrons at present. Only lost a single game, and whilst I cannot knock my opponents skill, one can't help but feel had my Lord, Crpytek and Immortals not suffered a critical Veil of Darkness malfunction, I may yet have had a clean sheet.

But things came to a head this Sunday. 1,500 points against Chaos Daemons, and once again I flattened my opponent into the dirt, as I've done to Nids, Blood Angels, Grey Knights, other Necrons and indeed everyone that has crossed my path, apart from that time when it all went ploin shaped.

In that game, I'd forgotten to bring my list, resulting in me putting together what I could remember. Yeah. I underpointed quite severely, around 165 under where I should have been. And my Lychguard did absolutely tit all except wander about hither and thither.

Now my lists aren't exactly filthy o'filth and designed to min-max, but I do have a pair of Nightscythes, and two Annihilation Barges. Yet I seem to be winning by a healthy margin, even when it seems my Tesla has a limited charge (first couple of shots, each weapon is horrendous. Then the law of averages drains the batteries).

Is it me, or is it the list? Do you think it's my opponents? I don't want a reputation of being a power gamer!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Iron Father

Change your list up a little and experiment with a few different units, the results would be your answer. Oh and buying your opponent a pint after kicking his/her butt, will negate any hard feelings from you crushing them.
    Too many players have hang ups about win / loss ratios, etc. Personally don't give a f**k as long as I have a laugh.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Oh I'm having a great time! Just worried my opponents may not be.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Necrons are the new GK. Too much at a sweet spot of points.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Oh I'm having a great time! Just worried my opponents may not be.
    Ask them
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Depending on if you trust/know them quite well, offer to let them use your army while you use their list. If it flattens you it might be the list, if you still flatten them... maybe start looking for tournaments with a cash payout!

Then again, if it's fairly even, it could be a bit of both. As Deadlift said, it's always worth asking your opponant how they felt the game went and if they enjoyed it. If nothing else it makes packing up a little more fun!

One guy I used to know felt like you, wondering if we saw him as a powergamer, but we all just thouight he was a lucky git because he only ever seemed to roll high dice (sucked for his Ld rolls, but when you seem to win ever combat and pass ever save, how many of those do you need to make?) so we never had problems playing against him. Something to think on; do you have to convince people to play against you or do people ask to play against you?
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

If you're worried about feeling/looking like a powergamer, add a unit of Flayed Ones :P

As long as you're friendly and not hardcore about beating people, I don't think it should be much of a problem, regardless of list.

All good points well made, though I'm not sure Necrons are the new Grey Knights on account I have the glaring weakness of being bobbins in HTH. Though I am adept at avoiding combat.

Perhaps I've just adapted to 6th Ed quicker than most. My opponents seem genuinely surprised when my troops perform an orderly withdrawal...

I've only lost 2 games (out of near 20) with my Necrons, against an assaulty Blood Angel army, and against a Dark Eldar army.

I love playing with them, they work so well to my playing style. I can mix units seamlessly and get excellent results.

Silent King be praised.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    All good points well made, though I'm not sure Necrons are the new Grey Knights on account I have the glaring weakness of being bobbins in HTH. Though I am adept at avoiding combat.

Perhaps I've just adapted to 6th Ed quicker than most. My opponents seem genuinely surprised when my troops perform an orderly withdrawal...
    Yes well this is where your 20 cron blob fires 40 shots at a unit. Versus MEQ = 6-ish hit, 3 wounds, 1 dies. Then your nobheid HQ challenges, uses mindshackle scarabs, and the unit champion or even worse, Kharne, starts smacking himself like a deranged 3-stooges character. The 9 remaining MEQs (call them CSM, my army) does 3A on the charge. So 14 hit, 7-ish wounds, you save 2 (5 die) of which 2 gets up - unless you have 4+ WBB or whatever it is called in which case it could be more. S

Your HQ then creams the 6 with his power stave thing. Before the remaining 17 hit back.

Hooray! Yes I appreciate this is a slightly false scenario (who charges a full squad without a decoy etc) but against CC-orietanted armies shooting is temporarily king.
    Last edited by Denzark; 08-08-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: OK I lied didn't account for snap shooting
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast