BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

I try to make my force as diverse as possible, partially for realism and partially because I have more fun painting 7 squad sergeants in 7 different ways rather than have 7 models that look basically identical.

That said, any model that I attempted to paint as Asian, Hispanic, olive-toned, etc. all basically look like white guys who maybe got a bit more sun than their companions. The darker-skinned models either look like I just base-coated their faces brown without highlights, or if I used brighter highlights, they look like white guys with dirty faces. Painting dark skin is hard.

+ the face on models are those of white guys[even on alien female models] so painting wont realy help much , unless someone resculpts the model.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by the jeske View Post
    + the face on models are those of white guys[even on alien female models] so painting wont realy help much , unless someone resculpts the model.
    good point there! i never noticed that befor!
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chapter-Master

I liked the way Malty dumped this on us and ran...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Well you know not our foult he has to write his masters on "Different aspects of racism in the table top gaming community and its repercusions on the model design , based on the examples of Games Workshop and Privateer Press model design philosophy". he has to get data from somewhere.

Brother-Captain

I have a friend who has an I-Guard army with a large contingent of Black penal conscripts. Whenever he deploys them he announces "Operation 'Get-Behind-Darky' is now commencing!" We keep telling him he needs to remake his Commissar to be Cartman (currently it's cobra commander).

I have another friend whose Orks all have sombreros and serapes, and all the trucks have little dingle balls and a small plastic Jesus. I should mention, lest someone tilt their nose skyward, looking askance down a pointed finger and shrieking, "RACIST HERESY!!" ... his wife is Mexican and his kids think it's hysterical.
    Last edited by Necron2.0; 08-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chapter-Master

oh my those sound hilarious can you snap us some pics? (also ask the IG player to make the pimp blimp a purple vendetta with graffiti on the side :P)
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    I have a friend who has an I-Guard army with a large contingent of Black penal conscripts. Whenever he deploys them he announces "Operation 'Get-Behind-Darky' is now commencing!" We keep telling him he needs to remake his Commissar to be Cartman (currently it's cobra commander).
    That's a pretty abortive attempt at humour, in my opinion - and I'm assuming that the non-conscripts in the army are not black? I don't think I'd be willing to play against an army like that. Or that I'd even be comfortable hanging around a person who made an army like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    I have another friend whose Orks all have sombreros and serapes, and all the trucks have little dingle balls and a small plastic Jesus. I should mention, lest someone tilt their nose skyward, looking askance down a pointed finger and shrieking, "RACIST HERESY!!" ... his wife is Mexican and his kids think it's hysterical.
    This, on the other hand is not racist.
    Poking fun at a culture is not the same as racism, and it's amazing how many people don't really get that.
    It's no different than having an army of Canadian lumberjacks. Or joking around about an accent.
    It may offend or irritate some people, and it -is- propagating a stereotype, but it's not saying anything inherently negative about a group of people, particularly in relation to another - let alone an ethnicity.

It's the difference between poking fun at men who like man and saying we're all limp-wristed lispers who love sparkles and bright colours (which is pretty damn far from the truth, at least where I'm concerned), versus suggesting something like 'sodomites burn in hell' or that it should be punishable by law.

In no way is that the same as using an ethnic group as cannon fodder in your army.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

But sending in colonial/non white troopers first to take the brunt of hvy fire is a long time part culture thing too. It was done since before people could write and it is done even today .
    So doing a "operation human shield" is not only funy , but also historicly correct.

It may offend or irritate some people, and it -is- propagating a stereotype, but it's not saying anything inherently negative about a group of people, particularly in relation to another - let alone an ethnicity.
    but that is just showing a long time and supported by history role of those kind of units. It isnt accurate[just like not all mexicans run around in sombrerors every day] , but it is the same cultural steretop that doesnt hurt anyone you mentioned.

that it should be punishable by law.
    well in Russia it is. But again this is a different aspect to look for here. Those sucide first wave units cant do anything with their ethnicity , while belonging to a sexual minorities is something you can choose to belong or not .
    Last edited by the jeske; 08-12-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Brother-Captain

But sending in colonial/non white troopers first to take the brunt of hvy fire is a long time part culture thing too. It was done since before people could write and it is done even today .
    So doing a "operation human shield" is not only funy , but also historicly correct.
    I can't tell if you're trolling or not.
    Just because something used to be part of a culture doesn't mean...well, anything.

And in the instance provided it is pretty clear that it's not being done as some sort of commentary on history or anything else. It's an off-colour joke that I think falls flat on its face.

but that is just showing a long time and supported by history role of those kind of units. It isnt accurate[just like not all mexicans run around in sombrerors every day] , but it is the same cultural steretop that doesnt hurt anyone you mentioned.
    No, it's not the same. One is "oh look, these aliens are dressed up like the Mexicans you might see in a Western".
    The other is "these guys die first, because they're black and therefore worth less. Than the other soldiers. Hurr hurr - racism, get it guys?"

When bigotry is the punchline of a joke, it's a bad joke.

well in Russia it is. But again this is a different aspect to look for here. Those sucide first wave units cant do anything with their ethnicity , while belonging to a sexual minorities is something you can choose to belong or not .
    I don't give a damn what's legal in Russia and what's not - Russia is not somewhere I would look to as a stellar example for observing human rights. It's still legal to do a number of horrible things to people in many Middle Eastern nations - guess what? They're wrong.

And I don't want to get into a 'debate' with you about whether my sexuality is something I 'chose'. Not here. But if that's what you think then you're pretty damn ignorant on the subject.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast