BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

Greggs doesn't have a president...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Howsabout this fella as the nearest alternative?

[URL="http://corporate.greggs.co.uk/derek-netherton"]http://corporate.greggs.co.uk/derek-netherton[/URL]
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Occuli Imperator

I find him unnerving
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

What a guy.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

So Malt-o-meal, given up on complaints of Misogyny.

Have you ever tried painting a miniature as a black person? White minis are easy, I can paint them without thinking about it. To paint a black mini well most of us need a reference. A simple lighter and darker shade does not work, depending on the mid tone you may need different undertones for each.

My IG army has a fair number of black troops but it is based on Viet Nam era USMC. Most are just a wash over various flesh tones but I would not consider any of them to be accurate.

Chapter-Master

well theres quite a few black guys in the books

zeph (ravenor) springs to mind but i think theres quite a few in the IG books? and a few of the eavy metal faces tutorial are black and i think theres a lot of black things in WHF?

also TDA i thought mods were to keep conversations on track and not derail them into photos of puveyors of chicken curry bakes (the best things in existance)

*mouthgasm-from-thinking about greggs *deep breath* "chip shop chicken curry beaks*

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Ah yes, you are Scottish. The Scottish LOVE Greggs.

Note that I didn't post them. Wolfie did.
    Plus, it's kinda relevant because Black guys love chicken. (and who can blame them?!!)
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    So, I've been searching GW's web site and you know what I can't find?

A miniature painted to have black skin. And I'm not talking "jet black with red devil eyes" Salamander black, or a one-off special character. I'm talking real-world, people-of-African-descent black skin (excepting, of course, Tallarn. Who still look suspiciously melanin-free) on just some random guy in the background. I mean, yeah, Marines have helmets and all, but seriously, all those Apocalypse photos with eleventy billion Imperial Guardsmen grimacing as they prepare to die, and not one black face?

Why on Earth is this the case? We can all paint our models any way we wish - I like to have a mix of different ethnicities in my armies (unless they're Mechanics, in which case everyone just looks poorly and grey) - but GW just likes caucasian males. I've seen many people on coolminiornot paint 40K models with tones that aren't caucasian (and when I say "many", I of course mean "very, very few").

Just because it's part of this trope: [url]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumansAreWhite[/url]
    does that make it remotely acceptable?

Now, I'm not going to accuse 40K of racism, because well, that's not the issue - plus I'll be told "you can paint your models any way you wich", which I do, and which I've already said I've done. I suppose what I'm just wondering is why, given the fact it's 2012, why GW still doesn't paint up its example models as anything but caucasian (because let's be fair, those example models are well, the examples, so they're really damned important).

And saying "the vast majority of players are white", well... *sucks through teeth* that's just a crass and ignorant thing to say. It doesn't even have the reflective thought to ask "Well, is that cause or effect? Maybe more people from different ethnic groups would play if there were more official models representative of them?

I just wonder how many young players thought "this looks cool", then got turned off because it "didn't look like it was for them" if you know what I mean.

Just to say again, I am enquiring regarding GW's company policy, nothing else.
    I don't think there is any policy as such and this isn't a new thing.

Why is Jesus white? Simply put, because people paint him to look like themselves, so Europeans made him white. Go to Africa and he's black. Do a quick google image search for Chinese Jesus and see what you get. People take a universal figure/story and put a personal spin on it to make it relevant to their culture.

In a similar way 40k and fantasy are universal stories, deliberately designed blank slates for people to write their own stories with and as such you make the story relevant to you. No one (as far as I can tell) working on the design team, 'eavy metal or WD is anything other than white, so they simply paint their models to tell their story, there is nothing more nefarious to it than that.

As such, I disagree with your statement that having white models puts non-white people off. If the story/message/activity is universal enough, it will appeal to anyone. Why do you think white missionaries were able to convert native populaces around the world? If people from other ethnic groups don't play, it's because they don't have the social opportunity to do so, or because of cultural differences the hobby lacks appeal to them. There should be plenty of professional Asian footballers in this country but there aren't because they a) lack opportunity to do so and/or b) prefer cricket.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Ah yes, you are Scottish. The Scottish LOVE Greggs.

Plus, it's kinda relevant because Black guys love chicken. (and who can blame them?!!)
    well geordies love greggs more.... since we invented it (greggs of 'gosforth', a district of newcastle.... where the nobs used to live, b4 darras hall LOL)

but that aside my drummer in a band i was in was from africa (adopted as a child) and he crowned me in his words "an honourary black man", for the ammount of KFC i eat LOL

but back on topic, like i said earlier i dont think policy or PC has anything to do with the lack of (and i can use the term correctly here) coloured people portrayed in the hobby, i have tried painting darker tones, and once you get darker than the medeteranian olive tone you get into a nightmare of colour, its tempting to just assume to go with scorched brown then lighten up that way but it just does not work without many subtle blends.

and again the pink hued skintones are an easy refrence for the photographers, just look at the salamanders that are brown, they really are just brown. you cant see any details at all.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Mwahahaha!
    I don't see what the problem is with it, if you have countably infinite numbers of people then chances are you are going to have every possibility.
    Take the valhallas, from their world descrition I imagine all of them to be like the peoples of the north (no not stafford), but Finno-Urgic

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast