BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Allies for army?

I have a small imperial guard army which I have begun to build. What allies are effective in conjunction, or any sample army lists are welcome.

Marines are always a solid choice for Guard. Any variation of them will do.

I suppose it's dependant on what you're using your Guard for?
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

what do u mean by that?

For example, if you have an army full of Ordnance or long distance firepower then you do want some combat prowess too, so you'd take Space Wolves or Blood Angels; because they are combat gods. But if you're lacking in high-powered guns then you just want regular Space Marines so that you can use Vindicators and Sternguard.

What armies do you like the look of?
    And what have you got for your Guard?

Okay< I have a fair few tanks, and a battleforce, looking to add more troops

Okay. So you want solid objective holders?
    Regular Tactical Marines will do that job really well, and if you need an extra push on those enemies who just won't get off then take some Terminators to go up alongside your Tactical Marines.

The great thing with Space Marines is that they're so diverse, you can make and paint them however you like.

Veteran-Sergeant

like the dark agent is saying tac marines are very good for this if you plan on bringing some ters though i would sugest that you look at the dark angels for how virsital there death wing sqds are yea you can only have 5 man sqds of them but there kitting options make up for this
    "There's too many men, too many people, Making too many problems,
    And not much love to go round, Can't you see this is a land of confusion?"

Without the IG list that you want to add alliets for, its impossible to give a lot of advice.

Just like when making any other list, I would advice you to define their role.

What is it that they should do?

The allies, that is
    To will, to know, to dare, to win.

Anything that tactical marines can do, grey hunters can do better. If you want tom add in some psychic abilities/defense, rune priests are amazing at both with access to divination and their runic staves. Plus, who doesn't love to paint space vikings?
    Give a man fire, and you keep him warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

The good news is you can ally with anyone (except Tyranids) with varying degrees of sucess and only Necrons and Dark Eldar are "desperate allies".

Standard Marines have already been discussed so.

There are of course Evil Choices -
    Chaos Marines do much the same as a Tac Squad and may well be serious contenders for best troops choice (if the due codex does them justice).
    Orks can add some Close combat punch (and can be really fluffy if you use the Blood Axe Clan). Effectiveness wise the Dark Eldar can work quite well with their poisoned shooty stuff.
    You cant really fault Necrons on the Firepower/survivability combination.

Not Evil -
    Eldar can work well if you use the Farseers to boost you with psychic stuff.
    Tau mesh well with guard, a few squads of fire warriors and some battle suits work wonders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast