BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Striking Scorpions - how to use them now?

So these are probably my favorite, or 2nd favorite aspect warrior. (Warp spiders take the top spot I think). However in 6th, I don't think I can justify their existence in a list.

Reason: Cannot assault off of the outflank coupled with no effective shooting. Also cannot assault out of a disembark.

These guys usually are infiltrating, behind enemy lines types of assault troops. However with the advent of the new ruleset, these guys have to take it on the chin for a round before doing anything - coupled with the fact that they're typically operating outside the range of a farseer to buff them, its quite difficult seeing how to get these guys to work.

Anyone have any ideas?

I use the Exarch to assassinate Space Marines with his Biting Blade.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Battle-Brother

I use a squad of ten of them. The trick is to ue them in conjunction with your spiders.

If you're fielding an autarch (you should) then you're getting both squads on an 86% chance. You want to have the choice unit you want to assault make a decision. Should they shoot the spiders who will make them take saves, or shoot at the scorpions who will wreck them next turn.

Autarch with the spiders gives them a wicked countercharge, while the scorpions are dropping 40 attacks on the charge. :-).

Swooping hawks work great in this fashion too. Their guns are pathetic, but haywires next to important things will draw fire. Shoot the rear with your spiders and it's dead. Haywire the tank it's dead. You have two options to take out the one target. The key with playing the more specialized aspects is getting your enemy to think he has to prioritize one unit over the other when both will do the job just fine. Unit saturation in their backfield (by turn two I have scorpions, hawks, and spiders back there) can cause confusion for target priority and will leave all the units weakened slightly or one unit dead. This leaves your line units alive (platforms, dire avengers, ect) almost fully for a good push to pin the enemy into kill boxes and whittle him down.

Hope this helps! :-)

Chapter-Master

If you're fielding an autarch (you should) then you're getting both squads on an 86% chance.
    Eh - I rather despise the Autarch as a unit overall actually. I can't ever really seem to get my mileage out of him.

I suppose I see your point about using them in conjuntion with warp spiders. However, deep striking the spiders near the table edge where the scorpions will show up makes me nervous.

Battle-Brother

Which can be harrowing I agree. That's the beauty of pre measuring though

Autarchs are temperamental. Great if you use a lot of reserve units cause of the plus one to reserve. He's good as a challenge accepter. I6 with 5 attacks is awesome and barring a mean assault unit you can win that challenge. Guess it depends how you run your list. :-)

The tick with spiders and scorps is you take them on opposite sides of the intended target squad. This way you're potentially getting the mportant bits from the shooting so the scorps can clean up in the assault without any power weapons from the other squad. I'll write up an eldar tactica and post it on here sometime. It'd make it a lot easier to explain how my faerie madness works :-)

Chapter-Master

Hmmm....

I used them a lot in 4th, and like twice in 5th.

The only game i've used them in in 6th was against horde Nids. 4 attacks each on the charge at S4 is pretty good. But i don't use them offensivly. They hang around in cover near my objectives and counter assault anything that gets too close.

Also an exarch is our only access to a power fist. Could be useful...

Also I understand the uncertainity about Autarchs. I don't actually own one. Got about 9 Farseers and every Pheonix Lord but don't own an Autarch.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/