BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default GW Tightens the Screws on Trade Partners

[URL="http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthread.php/37956-Games-Workshop-is-tightening-the-reins-on-release-leaks"]via 40K Forums[/URL]

From August 17th, Games Workshop are changing their trade terms. This will effect the way that New Release information will be handled.

After August 17th, any shop selling White Dwarf or any New release item before the release date, discussing New Release information or posting images on Facebook, forums etc before release date will be punished by not being allowed to stock New Releases for 6 months !
    Now a couple of things here.

First, the source is located in the UK, so there is no guarantee that 1) even if this is true, that 2) it would apply to the GW Partner Stores in North America. There are now several key sections of the Trade Sales contracts that differ between the EU, and NA operations.

So if true, this would appear to be targeted at locking things down in the UK/EU trade zones.

So who do you think is being targeted? One doesn't enact such draconian (and revenue limiting) measures without something specific being in the crosshairs.

Hmmm...
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    [URL="http://www.40kforums.com/vb/showthread.php/37956-Games-Workshop-is-tightening-the-reins-on-release-leaks"]via 40K Forums[/URL]

Now a couple of things here.

First, the source is located in the UK, so there is no guarantee that 1) even if this is true, that 2) it would apply to the GW Partner Stores in North America. There are now several key sections of the Trade Sales contracts that differ between the EU, and NA operations.

So if true, this would appear to be targeted at locking things down in the UK/EU trade zones.

So who do you think is being targeted? One doesn't enact such draconian (and revenue limiting) measures without something specific being in the crosshairs.

Hmmm...
    Interesting. No doubt due to the Hobbit coming out at some point this year (possibly early next?). We all know it's coming.

To give you an idea of how seriously New Line take their non-disclosure hushy-hushy stuff, I was working for GW when the Two Towers came out. In the rulebok was an image of an Uruk Hai Beserker. That every store had to black out, on account it wasn't to be seen by the general public until after a specific date. GW could end up in a LOT of doody if some glory hunting Indy decides to vomit up spoilers.

And to be fair, if GW (your supplier) ask you not to do something, you shouldn't do it.

Add in the proven good that a tight release schedule has done, and it makes sense to lock it down as much as you can. Rather than seeing on the Intertubes first, your more likely to get people in store on a Saturday to have a butchers (or online with the GW Website) to reallly take advantage of impulse buys.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Interesting. No doubt due to the Hobbit coming out at some point this year (possibly early next?). We all know it's coming.

To give you an idea of how seriously New Line take their non-disclosure hushy-hushy stuff, I was working for GW when the Two Towers came out. In the rulebok was an image of an Uruk Hai Beserker. That every store had to black out, on account it wasn't to be seen by the general public until after a specific date. GW could end up in a LOT of doody if some glory hunting Indy decides to vomit up spoilers.

And to be fair, if GW (your supplier) ask you not to do something, you shouldn't do it.

Add in the proven good that a tight release schedule has done, and it makes sense to lock it down as much as you can. Rather than seeing on the Intertubes first, your more likely to get people in store on a Saturday to have a butchers (or online with the GW Website) to reallly take advantage of impulse buys.
    My thoughts exactly. The Hobbit game is due to hit in December, so they will need to tighten things up to stop any images leaking and spoiling the film.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

I really can't imagine what they're so paranoid about. If they are splitting it into three films as seems to be the case (see it's not just GW that knows how to squeeze their punters for all they got), pretty much all the creatures from the first part will have been seen before in the LOTR films and all the hero characters have been in promotional material already available.

Chapter-Master

I'm not sure what they are so desperate to protect either, it's not like there are going to be any major plot twists to worry about, but WB are entitled to make GW keep stuff under wraps if they so wish.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Does anyone really think this is an official email? Really? I don't.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

this is another opportunity to paint GW as the bog bad corporation.

Actually, if true, this is the result of those ill-disciplined independents who have no self control and can't help but let things out early. The amount of WD previews by some illiterate self important half-wit just goes to show.

It annoys me. I admit there is a large dollop of jealousy here -why should someone get their hands on the scret goodness before the rest of us plebs?

But also I firmly believe in the sanctity of one's word, and the importance of integrity.

Ie if you sign a contract saying keep schtumm, you should have the moral fibre to do so.

If not, expect the big stick, and unlucky to you. As a Commissar would think, the only way to influence people who can't take responsibility for their own actions, is to make a harsh example of someone.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

There's a local store that's been selling GW stuff as much as 4 days early, Magic early, etc. People have complained and nothing has ever been done by any company. For some reason, I don't think they'll going to be punished anytime soon regardless of GW threats.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Depends if anyone has reported them for doing it.

For instance, WH Smiths, one the biggest magazine retailers in the K no longer carry White Dwarf. They were releasing the magazine early to increase sales artificially. GW stopped dealing with them completely.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Gw's never enforced a hard street date unless it was something special (like space Hulk, dread fleet, or new editions.) This just puts into effect a hard street date rule.

Not supprised with Hobbit stuff coming.

EDIT: Ok, I can't say never, but any time I've bought direct, I've always been told that I could sell early to regulars who are teh types of customers who will promote stuff, like teh guy who will have teh new item painted BEFORE it's released if he got it on Thursday rather than saturday
    Last edited by lobster-overlord; 08-09-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast