BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Markerlights and Flying MC

From the BRB is a flying MC that is swooping suffers one or more hits from a shooting attack it takes a grounding test immediately after resolution.

Would Tau markerlights cause this to happen?

Chapter-Master

if someone did that to me, I would tell them to shove it.
    No.

considering the marker doesn't punch holes through wings...
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Brother-Sergeant

RAW, a Markerlight is a shooting attack with the profile of a shooting weapon, sans strength. Thus, according to RAW, a Markerlight would force a FMC that is swooping to take a grounding test when hit by a unit equipped with Markerlights (or a Networked Markerlight), as the FMC is suffering 'hits' from a shooting attack. Nonetheless, all other restrictions which would normally apply to shooting a FMC would still apply (to which there is some continuing debate on Seeker Missiles versus flying targets, etc.)

If it helps any, think of having an intensely shiny laser-pointer in your eye. And then try to continue the rather tricky process of maintaining flight.
    The objective of the game is to win. The purpose of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

Chapter-Master

still a load of crock.
    Leathery wings need to be protected, and quite frankly, marker lights don't cause damage.

If someone tried to pull that crap on me, I'd tell 'em to shove it.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chaplain

How about the Apocalypse formation which allows D6 Markerlight hits on any unit X-inches away??

Could you place those markerlight hits on Zooming Flyers or Swooping Monsterous Creatures?
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

Brother-Sergeant

Hrm, this seems legal, but rather under-handed. Maybe they're zapping the MC's eyes?

Chapter-Master

Codex entries could of course, trump BRB. But seeing as the Tau codex was written before hand, I doubt the rule is written to allow this.

Lets not talk about military grade lasers and laser pens here, laser designators for calling in air etc don't leave a visible flash/mark.

A red dot hovering on you is hollywood and law enforcement, not military spec.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    A red dot hovering on you is hollywood and law enforcement, not military spec.
    Exactly! That's why the Tau use the hollywood version, it's much more cinematic and can do double duty downing FMC's!

Brother-Sergeant

By that logic Tyn, why even bother rolling for grounding? They're just 'hits' after all. No actual damage was done.

I don't know why you're particularly aggrieved against a shooting attack that causes no damage, hits on 6's, and (as claimed by a number of rules interpretations) can't even be used to up the BS of other Tau weapons versus the flying target.

@MS, I can't properly answer without the actual rule in front of me. I prefer not to cite from foggy memory when trying to remain objective If you could reproduce the text in question, I may be able to provide a better answer.

@Denzark There are all sorts of justifications (not least of which being that Tyranid eyes are much more efficient than their humanoid equivalents (and thus could be damaged by light far outside the human visible spectrum), but also that we have no way of interpreting what GW did or did not mean by their rules. I made sure to check both the Tau and BRB FAQ before answering originally, and the issue is covered in neither of them.
    The objective of the game is to win. The purpose of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

Just because the attack doesn't do damage doesn't change the fact that he's getting hit by a shooting attack. What if a Flying Tyrant uses Iron Arm to boost his toughness to 9, and then gets hit with lasguns? They can't possibly hurt him, but he still has to make a grounded test.
    Give a man fire, and you keep him warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast