BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DuskRaider View Post
    I could see it being called cheese if you were playing against a daemon army and took an Inquisitor retinue for the sole purpose of Sanctuary. THEN I'd call cheese. But otherwise, DH and WH choices aren't really all that great anyhow, so who cares?
    Surely playing against Daemons and taking an I-Lord with Sanctuary is fluffy as hell? I can't think of many things you could put in an imperial army against Daemons that fits better with the background.

To me, if something would be likely to happen in the 40k universe and is fluffy/narrative, then it's automatically not cheesy.

And I hate to call anything cheese, but the reverse is also true IMO: A single squad of GKTs beaming down into a guard army to help them fight Tau for example is just wrong.

Brother-Sergeant

Then come to the US with a 2,000 pt army and I'll field 2 Brass Scorpions against you. Hey, I play World Eaters, it's fluffy so it's cool! ;-)

Chaplain

Ouch...

Thanks for the invite mate, unfortunately I play 40k so I can't afford international travel.

Brother-Sergeant

Haha... Yeah, I definitely hear that one. Vacation, bills, food, gas, etc. etc. etc. or minis?..... Minis.

Battle-Brother

Iron hand straken with Grey knight terminators seems pretty good ...

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Iron hand straken with Grey knight terminators seems pretty good ...

Yep as long as you're wearing one of these...

I wouldn't say that it's cheesy realy. In most standard point games adding much besides maybe an inquisitor and small retinue tends to be in my opinion points that could be spent on more tanks and guns. Which are both what guard do best

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRollRebel View Post
    I wouldn't say that it's cheesy realy. In most standard point games adding much besides maybe an inquisitor and small retinue tends to be in my opinion points that could be spent on more tanks and guns. Which are both what guard do best
    True. The points you spend on GKT's can be used for alot more men and tanks.. so i dont see the cheese in it. Plus, i don tthink an Inquisitor would not call on the Guard to purge a sector, because it is unfair to the enemy.. right? He is going to take the biggest and baddest stuff available to him. And if the enemy does not have anything to fight it off, then looks like they chose the wrong side to me.

I have used WH and DH allies for as long as I've been playing guard, and I would definitely make a case for them being fair on almost level.

A lot of the units from both the WH and DH codexii are so over-costed and under-effective that on their own they struggle in today's environment. Their rules are solid, but they were made under a different design philosophy.

There are a lot of excellent synergies that exist now within other codexii that you can capitalize on, and the effectiveness, while certainly potent, truly is regulated by 3rd edition costs.

Psyker Battle Squads really mesh with assassins like the callidus or culexus, Iron Hand Straken makes about just about any elite close combat unit better, and the specific strengths of grey knights are complemeneted by the guard's native long range killing power.

It surprises me that this is even a debate. That being said I really don't think it's cheese. As everyone else has said the DH options no matter how powerful take a lot of valuable points away from an IG player. I also don't think it's cheesy to put power armored GK's in a Valk. It's not a dedicated transport just like the Land Raider isn't, but it's a lot more fragile so there is a certain risk involved in putting a unit that costs over 200 points in in a vehicle that could be wrecked on an immobilzed result. Besides if you look at the Ard Boyz clarification it says no GKT's (if I remember correctly) but mentions nothing about PAGK's. I'm pretty sure if they were thinking about GKT's when they made that clarification then they probly also thought about PAGK's.

I know there are some out there that will say they wouldn't play against someone who tried this but around here we are a little more cut throat. We still have lots of fun and it forces us to flex our tactical mind as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast