BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Allies taking the uniqueness out of armies?

After getting back into 40k it seems to me that people are just cherry-picking units to cover tactical gaps in their armies it was very obvious to me that it would happen and hey if you want a hard as nails army then go for it. I just get the impression that the individual traits of the seperate races that made them unique and made the player have to tacticly play better to overcome weaknesses is not realy there anymore, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by imperialpower View Post
    After getting back into 40k it seems to me that people are just cherry-picking units to cover tactical gaps in their armies it was very obvious to me that it would happen and hey if you want a hard as nails army then go for it. I just get the impression that the individual traits of the seperate races that made them unique and made the player have to tacticly play better to overcome weaknesses is not realy there anymore, what do you think?
    It's inevitable some will pick for advantage, but I'm yet to see it. And it's not as if it's free points. To really cover your tactical deficiency, you'll be spending a good amount of points to do so, thus weakening the area your strength lies in.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

To me, this is GW maximizing their sales. More money = they dont care if the "uniqueness" of some armies goes away. Just slap together a fluffy allies matrix to justify it. It's like nerfbatting the Carnifex to sell more Trigons.

I like the allies thing just for hobby fun. There will be a lot of creativity coming out, like Guardsmen who work with Tau for the Greater Good. Said guard could be using Tau technology. Then you have crap that comes up like Epidermis killing allied Grots to max the tally. Always two sides of the coin with everything.

Chapter-Master

That's true, but the Allies system also opens up some awesome possibilities. There are factions in the world of 40k that fight side by side, and now you can represent that all by yourself without needing to wait for the rare team game.

Can it be used to game the system and create mechanically awesome but logically improbably armies? Sure. But I can see one of those at the FLGS when some guy makes, say, a single Space Marine army that contains three quarters of all the Vindicators in existence, or a Blood Angels army composed almost entirely of Death Company marines, or whatever. As far as I know, no edition of 40k has ever really addressed that issue.

So, can this new system be abused? Yes. Is it any more exploitable than anything else in this game? No.

Mod powers ACTIVATE.
    Double thread begone!
    Last edited by Tzeentch's Dark Agent; 08-13-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

It depends on how you look at uniqueness. I think it makes it more unique, there are now tons of different lists you can take. You can remove the weaknesses of some armies by complimenting them but that still doesn't make them amazing lists, some of the best lists can be ones that focus entirely on one aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Mod powers ACTIVATE.
    It would be more helpful if you added why, did you move the thread?

He posted the same thread twice.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Mod powers ACTIVATE.
    Hax!

Blarg, noticed my first sentence in my last post sounded a bit bitter. My brain just isn't working right today lol. Guess my frustration with trying to get my armies up to 6th ed is slipping though ($$ wise, getting frustrated, even with my "corner cutting" with sculpting etc).

The thing that really jumped out with the allies system is Chaos Marines can take REAL Daemons and not those turds in their codex lol. Fluff wise, yes allies is awesome. Tactically, you can be sacrificing some things to try and hole up weaknesses. I don't think its super game changing, plus its too early to really say if it is.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yes I agree fluff wise it's a good thing I'm currently converting some Orks into native vanguard for my praetorian guard army, I suppose it depends on the player I have always played for fun and some of my best games have been valliant defeats but some people just don't like to lose I suppose

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast