BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Alternative Vanguard with Forge World stuff

I've wanted to do a MK3 assault squad for some time. The FW guys say that Space Marines would not use MK3 armour for assault squads. Well I figured a veteran squad might and maybe a storm shield would make up for the armour's weakness at the rear. So here is the first one. I'm going to do the rest of the squad in different Mks of armour, Mk5 another duff armour suit, Mk6 and Mk7. The squad is almost finished just need to do a little more highlighting and paint some Ultramarine symbols. Any way here is the 1st one.

Rogue Trader since 1991.

I've seen that mini before and I just love it ... tempted to go to Games day just to get one.

Nice paint job, good work on the details and I especially like the way you've done the brown on the purity seals.

I wouldn't think that you'd especially need a storm shield to make up for the weakness of the rear armour on Mk. 3, and, when wearing a jump pack, I doubt you get the shield any where where it would help to protect your back. For that matter, the jump pack would probably act to protect the back sufficiently.

I do really like the older marks of armour that Forgeworld do, and have been thinking, a bit like you, of doing a squad or two in a larger army in those older marks.

Brother-Sergeant

My current Minotaurs army has troops and HQ built with plastics, but most of the other infantry models will be built with forgeworld minis. I currently have a squad of mk2 coming from forgeworld right now to build as Sternguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitarii View Post
    My current Minotaurs army has troops and HQ built with plastics, but most of the other infantry models will be built with forgeworld minis. I currently have a squad of mk2 coming from forgeworld right now to build as Sternguard.
    I have this idea of building a SM army, inspired by the image of Ultramarines 2nd Co on pp. 18-9 in C:SM and an article I read in an OLD WD (about 195ish, iirc) of doing an army that is a force made up of small elements from various Ultramarines successors. Basically, it's an excuse to do conversions that I want to do/would be appropriate for a particular Chapter, but not having to do more than 20ish marines for any chapter.

Only problem is, I made an estimate, and I think it would be 150-200 marines, plus vehicles, if I do everything I want

Anyway, I shouldn't derail the thread too hard ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    I've seen that mini before and I just love it ... tempted to go to Games day just to get one.

Nice paint job, good work on the details and I especially like the way you've done the brown on the purity seals.

I wouldn't think that you'd especially need a storm shield to make up for the weakness of the rear armour on Mk. 3, and, when wearing a jump pack, I doubt you get the shield any where where it would help to protect your back. For that matter, the jump pack would probably act to protect the back sufficiently.

I do really like the older marks of armour that Forgeworld do, and have been thinking, a bit like you, of doing a squad or two in a larger army in those older marks.
    Thanks Chris. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is last years model. You can't get it at games day this year. This years model is an Enforcer for necromunder

There is a nice captain with a helm a bit like this but he's not wearing it.

Anyone would think I work for Forge World
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    I have this idea of building a SM army, inspired by the image of Ultramarines 2nd Co on pp. 18-9 in C:SM and an article I read in an OLD WD (about 195ish, iirc) of doing an army that is a force made up of small elements from various Ultramarines successors. Basically, it's an excuse to do conversions that I want to do/would be appropriate for a particular Chapter, but not having to do more than 20ish marines for any chapter.

Only problem is, I made an estimate, and I think it would be 150-200 marines, plus vehicles, if I do everything I want

Anyway, I shouldn't derail the thread too hard ...
    Well I'm there now but it's taken me about 20 years to do it, although I think the 2nd 100 only took 3 years; thanks to a bad obsession for painting blue and the citadel spray gun.

If you focused on it and had the funds I recon you could do it in 150-200 in a year (average of about 3-4 models a week) , but it would get boring.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.