BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Strange Occurances - Necrons - Need help

2 things here both came up in a game I recently played vs Necrons/DE with my Necrons.

1: Unit X charges a unit of Immortals with a cryptek carrying a lightning field (D6 s8 hits against a unit the moves into b2b) After overwatch is resolved unit X completes the charge and lightning field triggers. After Lightning field there are no longer any engaged models (all models from unit X are over 2in away). Will close combat still occur?

2: A unit of Hellions is in CC with 5 Wraiths, 3 have coils 2 dont. During the Hellion's initiative step they pile into the Coil-Wraiths. Does a) their initiative now become 1 allowing an additional pile in move or b) they resolve their atks and then become I1. Also what happens when models that were in b2b with a Coil-wraith are no longer in b2b but after their initiative step has resolved? do they not get to atk or are they treated as I1 for the remainder of the combat?

Thanks for your help

Veteran-Sergeant

1. It depends, you work it out as follows: First remove overwatch casualties, then roll your 2d6 for charging. Move all attacking models the distance rolled, moving into btb if possible. If at least one model is in btb, then resolve the lightning damage. Then move models with the highest initiative 3".

If these are still not in btb, then they get no attacks, but models down the initiative ladder still get to move 3" in their appropriate step. If even these models cannot get into btb, they also cannot attack. You are however locked "in combat," because your charge successfully got you into btb to begin with. Currently the only mechanic I know of that prevents an otherwise sucessful charge is Overwatch.

2. I am quite confident that a model is permitted only one pile in move, but even if it may get two it will generally make no difference. In your example, the unengaged hellions will move 3" first. If that brings them into contact with coils they will become I1 immediately and attack last.

I believe the coil rule states simply that models in btb are reduced to I1. Therefore if you kill a wraith with supporting attacks such that some hellions are no longer in btb with coils, then you should be able to resolve their attacks next, as they are no longer subject to the effect. This will all happen during initiative step 5 and therefore there should be no issue regarding attacks made out of step.
    Donate to the Free Isha Fund today! Bathe regularly and help disinfect the warp with clean dreams.

Librarian

Rewriting this for better clarity:

My group (which primarily plays non-Space Marines and so is very used to different initiative values causing things to happen) finds that according to RAW, at the start of the next initiative step (in your above example, it would probably be the Incubus leader at I6) is not enough to get back into base to base, then the combat ends immediately. Make any morale tests required and consolidate.

We are aware that this is rather screwed up. If your opponent is OK with house rules, I'd suggest allowing the initiative steps to continue until both players have had a chance to move all their models. However, that is not the explicit rule written in the rulebook.
    Last edited by thecactusman17; 08-16-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liazardman View Post
    1: Unit X charges a unit of Immortals with a cryptek carrying a lightning field (D6 s8 hits against a unit the moves into b2b) After overwatch is resolved unit X completes the charge and lightning field triggers. After Lightning field there are no longer any engaged models (all models from unit X are over 2in away). Will close combat still occur?
    RAW, the wych piles in. If not within b2b or 2" of someone who is, she doesnt get to attack. The necrons then pile in, and attack.

If the 2x3" pile in moves were not enough to get models into B2B, that is one weird *** assault.