BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Warhammer 40,000 as a % of GW sales

Something interesting has come out of the documents GW have submitted to the courts over the CHS stuff:

Q. So when I see under the 40K, where it
    says 50.6 as the turnover value, what does that
    signify?
    That signifies that in money value Warhammer 40,000 is 50 per cent -- was 50 per cent of our turnover sales in the 2009 to 2010 financial year, based on despatch data valued at the GPI and with an assumed trade discount of 35 percent
    So contrary to come claims going around the internet that 40k makes up 75-80% of GW sales it is in fact half. It would be interesting to know what the WFB and hobby ranges bring in. SG too, come to think of it.
    It also makes it rather more likely, in my opinion, that the estimates of Space Marine sales are closer to the 20-25% mark that I've been told than the 40% plus that gets bandied about on the interwebz.

Credit to Trasvi on Warseer for finding this.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I wish CHS would just lose already.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

It will probably be another year before it ends, perhaps even more if appeals are ongoing. Personlly I'm hoping they just settle out of court. CHS do some good work and making conversion bits is not a crime, and GW shoudl want to avoid setting a negative precedent if they lose. So offer them a big wodge of cash.

But let's not have another CHS vs GW debate. Focus on teh 40k figure, this is the first time (or first time in many years) we've been given a breakdown of sales by system.

One of the things I find interesting is that the 2009/2010 financial year is before the WFB revamp. I've heard anecdotally that the revamp was a success, so it's possible that the % has dropped more in WFBs favour since then. Pity we won't know unless it comes up in future legal documents.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

It's because LoTR makes up 40%...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Sorry, I'll keep my CHS studio hate on their threads.

It is interesting to see, does the percentage of their sales take BL and FW into account, or are they considered separate entities in this regard?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Sorry, I'll keep my CHS studio hate on their threads.

It is interesting to see, does the percentage of their sales take BL and FW into account, or are they considered separate entities in this regard?
    That's an important consideration, the percentage could very well jump if you take those two ranges out of consideration... although, short of stocking the FW model range, they are quite well represented at GW stores nowadays.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

And Black Library is stocked instore, which means that it must be part of their intake.

Good question, both would skew the ratio towards 40k given that most of Black Libraries books are 40k and ditto for FWs range. Or they may be referring purely to GW proper sales.

I also find it hard to believe that LotR makes up 40%, it doesn't sell well at all in Shrewsbury.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    I also find it hard to believe that LotR makes up 40%, it doesn't sell well at all in Shrewsbury.
    I forgot my sarcasm tags....
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast