BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Why did you pick the army you play as?

Im curious to hear everyones story as to why they play who they play

Default Looks Matter!

I always go for what appeals to me visually. Always. I've played Tyranids for the last five years because I just love the models. Now I am building a Blood Angel army because I just love the sculpts.

I feel that if I love the models I'll be more likely to keep painting. So I always choose my armies based on how they look.
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

I play for the models too.
    Necrons, my infallible legion of bone coloured warriors.
    Storm Wardens, the pride of Sacris, the blue warriors of Calixis. An army of space celts with huge *** swords who are the epitome of honour and justice.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Veteran-Sergeant

My first army was Eldar simply because I loved the idea of space elves and the fluff behind them but they were soon replaced by my imperial guard armies upon seeing the 'battle for big tooth river' at Warhammerworld as a kid, after that I just had to collect a Praetorian guard army then been hooked on Guard I built two other armies just because I liked the look of them Valhallan and Krieg (Krieg been the best looking army in 40k)

Veteran-Sergeant

the fluff, love the space wolves ways. but i also enjoy viking history in general and drinking copious amounts of ale

Chapter-Master

Tau: I loved their culture and their models, both for themselves and for the contrast they made with the rest of the setting. I also liked the idea of playing a more tactical army, rather than one that simply charged into combat.

Blood Angels: I wanted a change of pace, and have always had a thing for doomed heroes.

Blood Ravens: See, I had all these leftover marines models, things like Tactical Marines and Land Speeders and shooty Terminators, things I was unlikely to use in a Blood Angels army, and I wanted to make some allies for my Tau, and then I started reading into the background of the Blood Ravens, how they're into psychic powers and are probably the last remaining loyalist Thousand Suns... Damn you, Games Workshop!

Brother-Sergeant

Video Games. Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels for the PC. Never looked back after that. Blood Angels were my first army (and only army in 2nd), and will always remain my favorite; regardless of what GW does to their fluff (I'm looking at you Sanguinor). Now I pretty much just collect what appeals to me visually, or has enjoyable fluff.
    Last edited by da_WaaaghMaster; 08-17-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    "The Axe Mortalis is clearly a guitar, blessed and sanctified to perform the Emperor's Holy Rock. It is only a mundane axe to the boring and uninitiated." (bfmusashi)

Quote Originally Posted by da_WaaaghMaster View Post
    Video Games. Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels for the PC. Never looked back after that. Blood Angels was my first army (and only army in 2nd), and will always remain my favorite; regardless of what GW does to their fluff (I'm looking at you Sanguinor). Now I pretty much just collect what appeals to me visually, or has enjoyable fluff.
    I picked the Blood Angels because of their background and the fact that they quite literally Rage. They wade into combat angry and howling for blood.... somehow theyre quite close to the attitude of Chaos Marines in that aspect. I love the color scheme and the lore. Sanguinus has to be the coolest primarch ever besides Lionel for the Dark Angels. The fact that theyre kind of like vampires(not twilight bs) made them even cooler. I just picked up my sanguinor model wednesday lol its not relevant to the thread but i thought you would find that funny. ^^

Brother-Captain

Just prior to the advent of 5th edition I picked Necrons because a friend said it was a good introductory army and because the idea of a "Terminator" army appealed to me.

Recently I've gotten into Dark Eldar because I liked the models, and generally I'm into crazy chicks in leather. Note: this is also why I've got the Sisters enqueued for my next army.

Last edited by Necron2.0; 08-17-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Quote Originally Posted by DarthHawke View Post
    Im curious to hear everyones story as to why they play who they play
    I usually don't pick them at all. Someone (often Kerstan Copeland) ropes me into playing a new game and gives me a starter kit to get me going for my Birthday or Christmas. That is how I got into Circle Orboros for Warmachine/Hordes. I ended up playing CSM in 40K because Allan and Thomas made me a super friendly deal on some used stuff to get me into the hobby (like I said... I get by with a little help from my friends). The armies, thus, choose me based on availability and how nicely they are already painted so I don't have to do it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast