BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Fluff and Models, Orks are the Comic relief of the Grimdark Universe and GK's are some epic marines that truely stood alone and outside normal Codex Astartes. I started with Space Wolves, because of their fluff, and no one locally played their 3rd ed. codex in 4th. Also at the time i wasn't introduced to Codex DH, and the awesomeness of GK's. The Rebellious Nature of the SW also caught my fancy, as they are Theoretically still a Legion, and one of the few forces that can and will Fight the imperium and not be considered Heretics. CC stories and the heroic saga's that follow GK's and SW have always grabbed my attention, and still do. Although i don't play SW's anymore, they will always have a place in my heart.

Grey knights; because I liked the models, and since they're in plastic now and not metal anymore they were finanally a bit more viable financially.

Dark angels; Actually I play a pure deathwing (painted as Angels of Redemption) because it was cheap to build with all those Black reach termies around on ebay

Orks; I do like post-apocalyptic stuff like raiders and makeshift vehicles/weapons. Orks seems like a perfect fit. The comedy and randomness Orks brings might be another reason

Warriors of Chaos; Cheap army, expensive models (pointswise)... not sure how exactly it translates on table for Fantasy (since I haven't played any games yet; still building/painting). But any army done for cheap (under 200 euro for 1500 to 2000 points as a rough basis; which can be expanded/exchanged with other models in the future) is worth considering in my book.

In the past I did mostly marines just because; they had most plastic kits. And I did chaos because I liked spiky marines. Oh... and Vostroyans... just for the love of those models.

In general I don't care that much for rules... as long as it's easily playable.. that so far works for Grey knights, Deathwing... myea.. Orks works fine (since heading straight in going WAAAAGH! is a tactic).

Chapter-Master

Chaos Space Marines - Evil Space Marines with awesome aesthetics. The Thousand Sons were the most impressive to me.
    Dark Eldar - Every model of many is unique, twisted and superbly designed.
    High Elves - I love elves, especially noble ones clad in shining armour, plus Dragons.
    Grey Knights - Space Knights. Mech-suits. A simple look.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by da_WaaaghMaster View Post
    Interesting. These are the exact reasons I collected both of these armies. The Dark Eldar fluff drew me in too. As opposed to the old DE fluff (or complete lack thereof) and horrible models. After swearing I'd never collect an Eldar army too
    Ah, yeah, the new DE fluff was part of it too. I picked up the book (I think this was around the point I started grabbing every book that came out to 'collect') in part because the models were awesome, but the background turned out to be really rich too, and that drew me in. It's only a matter of time 'til my handful of models turns into a full army - with 'detachments' from all tiers of Dark Eldar society.

As for the Thousand Sons - Iron Warriors are another Chaos army that holds a lot of appeal for me, and I've been tempted after warming to Chaos at dabbling into others at various points, so I imagine eventually I'll have a bunch of assorted Chaotic gribblies (still find it really hard to see appeal in many of the daemon models), but for now the Thousand Sons hold a special place in my heart - and when the new book drops, I look forward to putting together some really spectacular-looking models.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Librarian

I play bugs, and the models are just super awesome...thats pretty much it

for the same reason I chose necrons as my secondary army
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Battle-Brother

Dark Angels: I got the 2nd Codex, "Angels of Death" and like both armies in it. The Blood Angels and the Dark Angels. I tried to paint the Blood Angels and failed miserable at it. Read the Dark Angel background and fell in love with them. I have the entire 1st Company and 3rd Company and with the new models I shall start on the 4th Company.

Chaos Marines: Same thing... Liked the 2nd edition Codex and started collecting Chaos marines. I followed
    Khorne ever since then. I have strayed into liking the other gods, but with the new edition...
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

Vallahan Imp Guard: Got an full army from a buddy who passed away and added to it over the years. The Cain novels really make me enjoy them, that and the Tank Company I use in Apoc games.

Orks and Night Gobblins: Chose the Greenskins when I started playing Fantasy because I didn't want a
    force that would be like one of my 40k armies. I hate to paint fur, so the Greenskins won out. Night Gobblins are my favorite. I about 400 of the little buggers.

Warriors of Chaos: What can I say... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Dark Elves: waiting on a new book and plastic Witch Elves and this will be my next army!

Librarian

Eldar because when I started to play, I didn't want marines, and eldar were good at killing them. Still my largest army to date.

Sisters of battle. I wanted a new army that no one was playing and still wanted to avoid the marines. Now waiting for a new codex where my 2 hq are legal.

Tau. My friend was selling his for a decent price and I was intrigued by the high power shooting.

Dark Angels. I wanted an all biker army since no one was playing them. I built the army for a "paint or die" challenge which lead to a tourney. Added Deathwing to them just before 6th rolled out. ALMOST felt bad for playing them sometimes. Excited for the starter set and new codex goodies.

Brother-Captain

Tyranids - My first army when I was... 8 or 9 I think? A school friend and his older brother played, and said older brother showed me a copy of White Dwarf, and on the inside cover was a picture of some Tyranids and their codex cover. My thoughts, at their most basic level, were: ALIENBUGDINOSAURSIMUSTPLAYTHEM. Pretty much the same all these years on. The fluff is great too, but it's the Tyranids themselves and their glorious models which will always be the real reason for me.

Eldar - I wanted a new army, and no-one I knew played them. The shiny, sleek but deadly and crushing look appealed to me, as did everything about them. Their background story is brilliant, I just wish pretty much ever author GW has would stop inexplicably shafting them in all of their writing.

Dark Eldar - As above but spikey, evil and mental. Also Incubi. Incubi are win.

Exodite Eldar - Look two up but add dinosaurs.

Tau Empire - A breath of fresh air in the 40k universe. Some say they are out of place, but I think the massive contrast they show between them and the other races/factions does an excellent job of really making us understand what a brutal galaxy it is. Also their optimism is nice, as is their armour and many many shiny guns.

Warriors of Chaos - I wacnted something completely different in Fantasy, and I much prefer the Warriors of Chaos to Space Marines/Chaos Marines as they seem far less mary-sueish.

High Elves - I was given just under 3000pts of them by an uncle who no longer wanted them, and seeing as I like Eldar and elves in general, I was just fine with that.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    As for the Thousand Sons - Iron Warriors are another Chaos army that holds a lot of appeal for me, and I've been tempted after warming to Chaos at dabbling into others at various points, so I imagine eventually I'll have a bunch of assorted Chaotic gribblies (still find it really hard to see appeal in many of the daemon models), but for now the Thousand Sons hold a special place in my heart - and when the new book drops, I look forward to putting together some really spectacular-looking models.
    Yea, it was a toss-up between Thousand Sons and Iron Warriors with me too. Thousand Sons won out because they seemed to have a more interesting dynamic going for them (plus I love their color scheme), whereas Iron Warriors seemed more like vanilla (codex) marines who just happened to be traitors and like big guns.

Good luck with that DE army! I love them. It's unfortunate that some of their units (Mandrakes et al.) aren't very useful. The entire army has great models.
    "The Axe Mortalis is clearly a guitar, blessed and sanctified to perform the Emperor's Holy Rock. It is only a mundane axe to the boring and uninitiated." (bfmusashi)

Librarian

I started back in rogue trader times. Collected every army I could get. I had Sensei warbands, Space Zoats, Squats, Chaos. 2500 minis and tanks in all. I had larger armies with my Epic Space Marine (15,000 minis) and Fantasy Armies (4500 minis . With Norse, Amazon, Slaan, Zoats, A fully painted Dwarf army with over 300 troops including 2 wizards and 12 warmachines, and everything in Epic.

I sold or swapped the lot back in 1985 for Battletech, then go pulled back into GW in Dec 2006. Since then my collection has steadily risen. 40K only though.

My 40K forces started off with Chaos Marines, specifically Noise Marines. I expanded with all the Chaos Gods and major legions and even the red corsairs. I still prefer noise marines the most. Their bright colours make them stand out on a table, and I can use all the fancy painting techniques I want on them. I have built a Chaos Daemons army, and because they were unpopular a Sister of Battle army. Because they did not get a new codex I took up the Bell of Lost Souls Minidex army Adeptus Arbites (corrupted of course) and gave them a dark purple and lilac colour scheme that looks really good.

I am working on 4 other projects at the moment. A pre- Heresy thousand sons company, a sisters of silence and Adeptus Custodes force with over 80 miniatures in it, a Daughters of Helena Battle Company(2nd legion Primarch) who was caught in a love tryst between Guiliman and the 11th Legions Primarch. Rogue Mechanicus stole their gene seed and started the legion up on a remote planet. It is my fun army. It and my Custodes and SOS have not been put together yet. There is also a collection of Primarchs from either Kabuki, Ronin, Hi-tec minis and other companies. The last project is a lost and the damned army with traitor guard suitable to be used with Siege of Vraaks, and 60 zombies. My apocalypse collection is pretty big as well. I even spent a small fortune building a Khorne tower of Skulls with scenic base (think a field of skulls as in the intro scenes for the terminator movies, but more skulls).

I am a random collector, who starts a new project even before finishing the next. I choose armies that are unpopular, and look good when painted, and I like making them renegades or corrupting them to Chaos (where possible).
    Last edited by Daemonette666; 08-19-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast