BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default Space Marine Legion Special Rules

Hi guys,

I have a good design challenge for you today. Its been more than 2 years since we updated the Age of Heresy Campaign book, and the time is now!

There have been multiple new Horus Heresy novels in the interrum, and 5th edition as well as the Space Marine codex has been updated. As we begin our total revamp of our beloved campaign book, we would like to get the BoLS readership involved in some early brainstorming.

Today's challenge my fellow Horus Heresy enthusiasts is the following:

1) Select one or more Legions from the list below.
    2) Write out a "chapter tactics" rule no more than a paragraph in length (see Codex: Space Marines for examples) that would be assigned the Legion's named characters that would exemplify their background and legion charactersistics. Be sure to add your justification fo the abilities.
    3) Drop your creation into the thread.

Legion I: Dark Angels
    Legion III: Emperor's Children
    Legion IV: Iron Warriors
    Legion V: White Scars
    Legion VI: Space Wolves
    Legion VII: Imperial Fists
    Legion VIII: Night Lords
    Legion IX: Blood Angels
    Legion X: Iron Hands
    Legion XII: World Eaters
    Legion XIII: Ultramarines
    Legion XIV: Death Guard
    Legion XV: Thousand Sons
    Legion XVI: Sons of Horus/Luna Wolves
    Legion XVII: Word Bearers
    Legion XVIII: Salamanders
    Legion XIX: Raven Guard
    Legion XX: Alpha Legion

~I can't wait to see what you all come up with. Remember we are talking about the Legions at the time of the outbreak of the Horus Heresy, so many of them will be quite different from their 40th millenia counterparts. Have fun, and by all means comments and feedback on the ideas presented are welcome.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Librarian

1. Legion I: Dark Angels

Chapter Tactics: Lion'el is a secretive individual, and a strategist without peer, he drills both the Legion from Terra and his own Caliban marines without rest, therefore all Dark Angels benefit from Strategic Planning and Drill Preparedness.
    Strategic planning bestows the ability to redeploy half of your army units (rounded down) after your opponent's deployment, but before scouts and infiltrators. This deployment is still subject to the deployment rules that you have rolled.
    Drill Preparedness: The Dark Angels are a very diciplined chapter, and when combined with the relentless drilling of the Primarch this equals extremely accurate fire when at distances comparable to a firing range, or early in a battle. This is shown by giving Dark Angel players the option to twin link their weapons on their first turn. However due to completely focusing in during their targeting rituals, during the next Dark Angel turn, all weapons fire at minus one (1) to their Ballistic skill.

I think this emphasizes the feeling of the Primarch as a strategist without peer. It also fits in with the idea that you can start out well, but even the best plans can be wrecked when in a battle.
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Chapter-Master

Talking EC

Emperors children legio III

fulgrims legion was a full 30 companies at the heresy much larger than any other legion.
    Before battle the EC player may take 1 of the following for every 500pts
    10-man assault marines (no upgrades)
    5-man assault marines (2 plasma pistols, 1 power fist)
    10-man tactical squad (bolters only)
    5- man tactical squad (meltagun, powerfist)
    10+5 -man scout squad (no upgrades)
    10 man sniper scout squad (snipers+missle launcher)

due to fulgrims perfectionistic nature IF ANY model/ squad fails a moral/Ld test they suffer d3 wounds no saves (this rule does not apply to HQ .) This rule is to exemplify why the EC fell to pride and a shamed member seeking solace in death!

thanks for reading

Fuzzbuket
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

1. Legion I: Dark Angels

I like the idea of Strategic Planning from Aenir but I would say one special rule is enough.

The Iron Warriors are siege masters without peer, able to turn the tide of a battle while assaulting bastions or defending them. All Iron Warriors units in the army benefit from the Tank Hunters Universal Special Rule.

Simple, straightforward. Doesn't really need that much of an explanation.

Legion X: Iron Hands

The Iron Hands have a unique affinity with the Omnissiah, one unparalleled by any other Legion, in addition to their extensive bionic works. All vehicles in an Iron Hands army benefit from the Power of the Machine Spirit special rule. In addition, all Independent Characters and squad Sergeants in the army benefit from the Feel No Pain Universal Special Rule.

Well, I thought a long time about this one. I liked the idea that folks on the Bolter and Chainsword had cooked up to have PotMS on all vehicles, but in this instance I didn't want to harp on their game too much. So instead of the Terminator sergeants, I gave their "leaders" FnP to represent the bionic enhancements.

Legion XVII: Word Bearers

The Word Bearers are the most zealous of all Legions, spreading the Imperial Creed (or the will of Chaos) with the utmost fervor. All units in the Word Bearers army benefit from the Pious special rule.

Pious: Units with this special rule may Fall Back towards your opponent's table edge.

This one was tricky as well. I wanted something that reflected the nature of the Word Bearers' zealotry without copying Righteous Zeal from the BT Codex. As such this special rule allows them to advance even in the face of certain death, but doesn't force them to: something I find pretty fluffy.
    I am the meat.

Chapter Tactics: Iron warriors becomed mored and more a siege and garrison legion, therefore all Iron warriors benefit from the "use cover" universal special rule as long they stay in a fortification* typ of terrain.

*Im from germany an not 100% percent sure about all translations, I mean there the cover which grants a 3+ cover save.

explanation: well the task was to find a rule which ist equal in worth agianst the "fail morale check if you like to" original rule and to reward players to play the legion as intended/in their way of warfare.
    (For exampel to space drop massproduced fortificatiosn from the orbit, or building it in record time)
    Which mean they are commen with alle imperial forivications and can use them with maximum effects, through diziplin an knowlege of their warfare.

This rule encourages the player also to actualy build such terrain.

As the 5th Editon ist all about objectives Iron Warriors had to relay on fast but dangerous counter attacks to claim them and the opponet had to bring more special equipment or he will be forced to desperate meele attacks or go play on draw. which is quite common if you look at sieges in history.

Legion XV: Thousand Sons

Chapter Tactics: The Thousandson tap dangerously deep into the arcan arts. All sergants are psioiker and choose one (1) following Psi power as wargear: [fore punch**, Psi shild, Mashien curse]

[**lousy translation for these power fore punch teh S4 Ap2 Storm 4 thing]

Explenation: well more felxibilty for a legion which goes clearly for eternal change
    Well these psi powers are alternitivs the common combimelters/flammers and so on, as they use the shooting attack of the model or giving a mild invudebal save if you cant benefit from cover.
    And your opponent will hate it to get mashine cursed every round, He will starts to yell "burn witch" not later than the third turn because you anoyed the **** out of him

XX Alpha Legion
    Alpha Legion are masters of secrecy and infiltration, and as such benefit from the following abilitys. When any HQ choice dies, once per game, you may select one model in your army, and that model Is now you commander that just died. when you do this the HQ that replaced it is equiped exactly as the model it replaced.
    AND/OR
    once per game, you may select one unit yourb oppone controls, you gain control of that unit and your opponent gains another squad in reserves that is a exact copy of that unit. this may not be done to any indepent characters.

Battle-Brother

Legion X - Iron Hands

Upon joining the Iron Handa, Initiates cut off ther own left hand as a sign of loyalty. Their hand is then replaced by a bionic one. The new bionic hand while not as powerfull as a blessed Powerfist, is still considerably stronger than flesh. The bionic hand is just the begining as the Iron Hand warrior gradually replaces each of his weak piecies of flesh for Iron.

To represent this, all models with the "Combat Tactics" Special Rule may exchange it for "The Flesh is Weak" All models with this rule have +1 added to their Strength, however this does not appy to models equiped with Powerfists. In addition Each model has the "Relentless" USR.

Notes from me.

Iron Hand Staken get's a hell of a bonus from his bionics, why not the actual Iron Hands?

Also Sgt Harker is Relentless with a Hvy Bolter. I have always felt that Marines should have no problem firing a Hvy Bolter on the move eithwr.

The Dreadnought is the best it can possibly get for any Iron Hand Warrior. To represent that, A special character Dreadnought would be extremly appropriate in an Iron Hand Army.

And way out in left field.

I read the "Mechanicum" book of the Horus Hearesy not to long ago, and I was thinkin that if the Iron Hands were to get their own codex, and I could write it. To represent their close ties to Mars. They would be able to include a Knight. A Knight would be a fast walker with the Armour and Firepower comparable to a Land Raider. it's close cobat Weapon would be Strength 10 with 2D6 armour pen, and would automaticly Stun any vehicle it hit. and ignore saves of any kind.

Legion 3: Emperor's Children: Pride. All Tactical and Sternguard squads receive an extra close combat weapon. In addition, if in combat with an independent character, all models in base contact must divert their attacks towards the IC.

Legion 4: Iron Warriors: I'm going to agree with a previous poster. Tank Hunters seems right for them.

Legion 5: White Scars: Let them keep Outflank

Legion 6: Space Wolves: Let them stick with their own book. heh.

Legion 7: Imperial Fists: Stubborn, still, I think.

Legion 8: Night Lords: Move through Cover, to represent their movements through the shadows. In addition, for the first turn, it is played under the Night Fight rules.

Legion 9: Blood Angels: Assault Marines become troops.

Legion 10: Iron Hands: A weaker FNP save.

Legion 12: World Eaters: Tactical Squads replace bolters with CCW or Furious Charge.

Legion 13: Ultramarines: They get to keep combat tactics. Easy.

Legion 14: Death Guard: Bolter Drill or Stubborn, to represent Mortarion's tactics/firing style.

Legion 15: Thousand Sons: Sorcerors. All Librarians get one more wound, intiative, and attack. In addition, all Thousand Sons receive a 5/6+ invul.

Legion 16: Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus: Unsure on this one...

Legion 17: Word Bearers. Fearless and all Chaplains get one more wound, initiative, and attack.

Legion 18: Salamanders: Maybe stick with the one in the C:SM? *ducks*

Legion 19: Raven Guard: Fleet, possibly. It works with them.

Legion 20: Alpha Legion: Infiltrate. Which squads could do this would have to be limited, but I like the thought.

Brother-Sergeant

Default Dark Angels - Chapter Tactics

I have 2 ideas for the Dark Angels, As per there lore they are both excellent in preparing for battle and have access to ancient and forgotten weapons so here my 2 cents.

No Surrender, No retreat.

Replaces Combat tactics with stubborn, In addition the Dark Angel player can choose to play one extra turn after rolling to see if the game ends after turn 5/6 or 7.

Master of Ancients Weapons

Replaces combatc tactics, All Plasma Based weapons no longer suffer from "Gets Hot", In addiation Dark Angel Tactical Squads may instead of taking a Heavy Weapon can take a additional Plasma Gun at the points listed.

MasterGideon

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast