BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1850 Dark Eldar/ Eldar allies, please critique

alrighty so here goes nothing. trying out some of the new stuff i like. HAYWIRE GRENADES/ WEAPONS!!!! AWESOME!!!! this list is somewhat meant to take out vehicles by glancing them to death. here it is

HQ:

(130) Lady Malys

(145) Farseer: Doom, Guide, Runes of witness/ warding, spirit stones

Troops:

(160) Kabalite Warriors: (10) Raider w/ dark lance, unit with splinter cannon

(160) Kabalite Warriors: (10) Raider w/ dark lance, unit with splinter cannon

(125) Wyches: (5) Venom w/ 2X splinter cannons, wyches have haywire grenades

(125) Wyches: (5) Venom w/ 2X splinter cannons, wyches have haywire grenades

(95) Guardians: (10) scatter laser platform

Elites:

(229) Incubi: (8) Raider w/ dark lance, unit champion

Fast Attack:

(130) Scourge: (5) 2X Haywire blaster

Heavy Support:

(105) Ravager: 3X dark lances

(105) Ravager: 3X dark lances

(155) Razorwing: upgraded to have splinter cannon, and Disintegrator cannons

(180) War Walkers: (3) total of 6X Scatter lasers

i love the choice of eldar allies here. i love that war walkers with guide can easily take down enemy flyers. i also like that they can glance tanks to no hull points, and they can be used for anti infantry. all around love eldar. now saying that i love that the war walkers can take some heat off of the ravagers and other units of dark eldar in the list. and again, I LOVE HAYWIRE!!!!! lol let me know what you think?

Veteran-Sergeant

Well being a long time player of both Eldar and DE I also love the choice you can take! But your first mistake is using venoms to transport wytches. Wytches will get slaughtered in groups less than 10 because of their armor saves 5 wytches will be gone in 1 turn. If you want tank hunting venoms take true born with blasters in them instead of incubi. Use the points saved on the incubi to buy your wytches a raider and combine the squads to make a solid 10 man squad.

And in my opinion the other mistake is taking a named character below 2000 points. I suggest losing lady malys in exchanged for either an archon with Agoniser or husk blade soul trap combo.

i like those changes. well the idea behind the witches is that they just hop out, chuck a grenade, then assault a vehicle. but i think i like the true born idea also. thanks for the input.

Veteran-Sergeant

5 wytches will not do anything in combat but get wiped out. That's the thing at S3 you won't do damage with 15 attacks. You need the hekatrix and the 30 attacks to ensure they're survival. They have to survive the first round of combat and be able to finish off a squad in the consecutive turn so they are free to move and assault again. With only 5 you don't have the weight of attacks to wipe a squad in 2 rounds of combat. The only thing I see happening with 5 is glancing a vehicle to death them being ripped apart in the next shooting phase.
    Last edited by incenerate101; 08-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.

actually that's kind of the point of them. they are the cheapest infantry unit that can take haywire grenades, and to be honest, if they kill 2 vehicles, they make their points back instantly. and yes, if the enemy wants to shoot them, so be it, it relieves fire from the rest of my army. also, they can tie up units like no other. even five of them can be useful to do so. overall, now witches just do it better than trueborn. trueborn, in my eyes, are way too expensive for what they are meant to do. just food for thought.

Veteran-Sergeant

I understand what you want to use them for and your theory is valid but you are losing so much potential to kill things by just sending them to die to take down a vehicle. Think about this. Your venom and 5 wytches doing what you plan on doing, the wytches will jump out and tag the vehicle that contains a 10 man squad of marines. Assuming the vehicle moved you miss once leaving you 4 hits you have to roll higher than a 2 3 times to destroy a light vehicle. Leaving your wytches exposed to fire and assault from the enemy. (all of this is assuming the wytches survive over watch!)

Your other option as I suggested is to drop the vemons combine the wytches and put them in a raider. Take said raider and attempt to blow up a vehicle housing enemy troops. Once you do move in and assault with all 10 wytches. You will on average kill about 4 to 6 marines in an assault with your hekatrix and Agoniser combo. Leaving the squad locked in combat ensuring their survival. In the opponents assault phase you should finish off the remaining marines. So it's your turn and your wytches are free to move around and assault another unit or get back in their raider and move along.

In both situations a vehicle is destroyed.

In one situation you lose your venom and 5 wytches.

In the other you kill a squad of marines along with ensuring the survival of your wytches for another turn.

I'm not saying your strategy is wrong or bad it's just very impractical and less efficient then other options.

*edit* If your wytches kill 2 rhinos it's only worth 70 points total. If your hunting land raiders then you have even less of a chance considering they have 4 hull points instead of 3
    Last edited by incenerate101; 08-19-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Clarity

ahh i see where you are going with this. thats a nice idea too, well i think i will try out both and let you know how it went.

Veteran-Sergeant

Looking forward to hearing about how your games go buddy.