BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Who should the Grot Rebelz Ally themselves with? (Read descriptions in post first)

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hire Kaptin Bluddflagg & his Freebootaz

2 20.00%
  • Ally with the Diggaz (counts as Orks)

2 20.00%
  • Ally with the Diggaz (counts as SW Blood Claws)

5 50.00%
  • Enslave Some Orks

1 10.00%

Default 6th Edition Grot Rebellion; But Who Should They Ally With?

The Grot Rebellion is my most successful converted army, I went for a balanced Imperial Guard army for them because back in 2006 the orks had very few plastics and the guard offered a lot more conversion possibilities. The army eventually went full mech with the new codex and I created a total of 18 new vehicle conversions, however the new 6th edition rules make it difficult for an all mech army to work, so it‘s back to the drawing board. But before we get to the big question here are some of the unit types that will be making it into the new army…

Working down; Commander/Commissar, Veteran Squad, Chimera, Hellhound, Manticore, Hydra & my pride and joy the Vendetta.
    [URL="http://proiteus.deviantart.com/gallery/3349216"]You can see more on my Deviantart Gallery Here[/URL]

So with their Doom-Vee transports not fairing so well up close anymore the grots need something else to put between them and the enemy, like some expendable allies! But who to take?
    As always the force's appearance is as important to me as it's effectiveness. So here are the ideas that I've had, please let me know which one you like to see the most?

ORK SLAVES
    The first idea was to have ork squads enslaved with some mind-control helmet, electric collar and cuffs or maybe a Battle Royale style collar with nobs being ogryns or even the big squigs with a grot on the top with a remote control.

KAPTIN BLUDDFLAGG'S FREEBOOTAZ
    I love this guy from Dawn Of War 2 so as an alternative to the ork slaves convert Kaptin Bluddflagg and some shooty ork pirates working for the grots.

I'm thinking of converting an objective marker with a grot officer reluctantly holding out his fancy hat which would be placed in front of Bluddflagg when the army was on display.
    But would the grots hire the orks when they're supposed to be rebelling against them?

DIGGAZ
    A nod to their Gorkamorka origins, FYI the Diggaz were descendants of an imperial explorer team that crashed on the planet. They were savage feral tribes of humans that worshipped the orks often painting their skin green. So what better ally to fight the orks with?

There are 2 ways I could field them...
    • Orks; A bizarre parody with my organised greenskin military and barbaric humies (Nobs being huge mutants)
    • Space Wolf Blood Claws; A suggestion that someone made was to go with some Blood Claws squads either 15 on foot or 10 in a drop pod, they're tough but not very well skilled I could even perhaps field some Digga Swiftclaw Bikers?

The idea is to model the Drop pod(s) as a large drill that has emerged from the ground. The warriors would be converted using chaos marauders like my previously ditched feral humans but with green warpaint and if I went with the Blood Claws option I'd use space marine legs and add a bit more weathered and worn armour to the top half.

As soon as my current project is finished I will resurrect this thread as the Grot (& Ally) project log, but for now I'm more eager to see which is the more favoured idea?

Although it may make the least background sense, I think ork pirates would look the best.

although some grots riding on the back of bigger ork nobs in a mini control booth giving orders could be cool too

I'd also like to throw in a couple of other suggestions:

Feral grots riding various squigs and squig conversions

Mutant grots with tiny heads on oversized bodies with a 'hulk' grot as a warboss (think this guy but with a grot head and purple shorts). Actually i might want to use this myself

Battle-Brother

Nice work there! Your army's awsome, nice kitbashing. Good idea doing your army background in comic form. Gonna have to steal that idea.Your backgrond really should eliminate the idea of aligning with Orks. Diggas would be a more flavorfull idea.

CALL IN DA DIGGAZ OR UNLEASH THE ORK-BOTZ!
    Well everyone feedback has been very insightful. The Diggaz Blood Claw concept being the most popular but with questions regarding their armour and the fact they wouldn’t exist off Gorkamorka.
    People have also agreed Kaptin Bluddflagg fighting with Grot Rebelz is an unlikely event even with the promise of a nice hat.

So I returned to the enslaved ork concept with a new idea after seeing the new Team Fortress 2 Mann Vs Machine trailer. I suspect an ork would still go for a grot slave master even with the threat of an explosive collar and would likely use an electric collar to shock the grot along with himself.

So why not go one better and have the grot doc and mek transform imprisoned green skins into ‘Ork-Bots!’. Mindless Cybernetic Orks that obey every command given to them either by remote control or voice command.

The conversion would be simple, attach an ork torso to an epic tank with wires joining the two and have two guns attached to the arms midway, the head will be enclosed in a robotic looking head with a single eye and metal jaw plus have a kind of power generator mounted on the back.
    An expansion on this idea would be to create a squad of Nob-Botz but mount them on a single wheel and use them as nob bikers.

It fits in better with the grot rebellion both fluff wise and perhaps in appearance, let me know what you think to my Ork-Bot idea?