BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default droppods, Inertial Guidance System, deepstrike mishaps?!? Help me out here....

hi all,

im in need of a bit of rules clarification regarding droppods and deepstriking.

if my droppod comes in at turn2 and i place my pod on the board, roll for scatter and say i scatter into difficult terrain. The BrB is telling me to roll on the mishap table. but the codex is telling me the guiding system kicks in and placing me 1" away from that piece. do i still have to take that mishap roll or does the rule in the codex prevent my pods from ever crashing into terrain?

quote from the codex: (page 69)
    Inertial Guidance System: Should a Drop Pod scatter on
    top of impassable terrain or another model (friend or foe!)
    then reduce the scatter distance by the minimum required in
    order to avoid the obstacle.

Chapter-Master

Indeed. You will only scatter up to the edge of the terrain. So even if you roll a 12" but tut the arwa terrain starts on 3" you only got 3". Same as for enemy and friendly models.

Does mean drop pods are more accurate in high risk, dense areas of the board than in big wide open areas
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

Remember the table edge will still make you mishap as its not terrain.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by metal_ead View Post
    Remember the table edge will still make you mishap as its not terrain.
    This is not true. Drop pods will land on the table edge with no mishap.

In regards to the OP the rules stated in your codex over rule the BrB in simpler terms the BrB provides a frame work in which to play the game the codecies rules provide the uniqueness.

Thanks all :P

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by incenerate101 View Post
    This is not true. Drop pods will land on the table edge with no mishap.

In regards to the OP the rules stated in your codex over rule the BrB in simpler terms the BrB provides a frame work in which to play the game the codecies rules provide the uniqueness.
    Well, if you could point out where in the Rulebook the table-edge is definee as either Impassabld Terrain or an Enemy Model, show me the page number please.

Inertial Guidance System only reduces scatter distances with the minimum needed to prevent you from landing on a) Impassable Terrain, b) Enemy Units or c) Friendly units.

This also means, when you place your droppod 1" away from a piece of impassable terrain of, say 4" x 4" and you scatter 10" in that direction, the droppod will be placed 10" away in that direction.

This is because the rule only checks if the final landing place is legit. If not, reduce scatter with a minimum of x".

This also means, if you place your droppod within 1" of an enemy model, and you roll a hit it still mishaps. A scatter distance of 0" can nit be reduced to anythin less.

Cheers,

Pim

Agreed but
    This also means, if you place your droppod within 1" of an enemy model, and you roll a hit it still mishaps. A scatter distance of 0" can nit be reduced to anythin less.
    still is overruled by the guidance system imo thus placing it min scatter distance away (1" )

Veteran-Sergeant

You should be noted that if any units deepstrike into difficult terrain, it will treat as it is dangerous terrain. So dangerous terrain test must be rolled for each model in the squad, on a roll of 1 they suffer a wound for infantry and immobilised for vehicle. For your drop pod case, you cannot place it out of the difficult terrain. You just place the drop pod inside the terrain, and the dangerous terrain test must be rolled. But the drop pod is immobilised anyway, so you don't have to roll for it.
    Deepstrike mishaps or inertial guidance rules are used for where you cannot land your unit (impassable terrain, friend or foe unit). The inertal guidance also can't help you if the drop pod lands off the table, it stated clearly in the codex that it can be used only for impassable terrain, friend or foe unit, nothing else.

Chapter-Master

actually, no.
    The vehicle must take a dangerous terrain check. However, the unit is 'disembarking as normal' and unless the terrain IS dangerous, they just disembark.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Brother-Sergeant

Inertial Guidance System: Should a Drop Pod scatter on
    top of impassable terrain or another model (friend or foe!)
    then reduce the scatter distance by the minimum required in
    order to avoid the obstacle.

Now, let's all look at this phrase, and let me help to clarify a number of blatant falsehoods already placed in this thread:

First, a Drop Pod MUST scatter in order to benefit from Inertial Guidance System. If you place a drop pod in a position where it would cause a mishap normally (such as within 1" of an enemy model, or on top of impossible terrain), you will still suffer a mishap. PRoeske has summarized this nicely, and I will happily point onlookers towards his explanation.

The table edge will still cause a mishap if you scatter off of the table, qua the base rulebook. IGS makes no mention of reducing distance towards the table edge, and the table edge is not classified as impassable terrain. The base rule book actually lists the table edge as a separate entity from impassible terrain in the Deep Strike Mishap rules (pg. 36).

Likewise, Tynskel is entirely correct concerning models disembarking from a Deep Striking transport vehicle. The transport will need to take a dangerous terrain test, but as a Drop Pod immediately becomes Immoblilized once it's final position is determined, the only result that can occur as a result of a '1' being rolled is the loss of a hull point (pg. 74 vehicle damage table). Models disembarking from that transport do so normally according to the rules.

Finally, to answer the ORIGINAL question, your drop pod will scatter on top of difficult terrain, as IGS does not work to reduce scatter distance concerning difficult terrain (nor does difficult terrain cause a mishap!). Read the rule fully. It specifies what it covers.
    The objective of the game is to win. The purpose of the game is to have fun. The two should never be confused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast