BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    You say Chapterhouse copied GW, prove it. Make a logical proof of it.
    Challenge Accepted.

Games Workshop. Flesh Tearer Shoulder Pads.

Have been on sale on GW.com for a long time, and named for a chapter they created and designed a long time ago

CHS

Flesh tearer Shoulder pads

They have used;

a) the name of GW chapter, and its not something that is common.
    b) They have used the exact same design.
    c) Their copy is actuall more expensive than the GW ones, and are lower quality

They also have shoulder pads advertised as "Heresy Era" pads. The heresy is a GW thing! You cna't say it for something else in wargaming terms! They have pads for "Scythes of the Emperor". THE EMPEROR? Very clearly stolen.

And this is before we get into their stuff being copy and pasted from the Heresy artwork book
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    A name is not a model however, so your logic fails. Furthermore, Salamanders are old english creatures and often used in regalia, Space marines well, we've already shown how GW has no claim on them, so basically your argument breaks down to GW having hold over shoulderpads. You might have some kind of argument however, if they had named them "genetically altered, god emperor worshiping, Space marines". But that still fails to satisfy the previous falsity, that a name is not a physical object, and you were asked to logically state how chapterhouse has copied GW's product.
    But in the context of a 28mm game with space marines in that style with a chapter called salamanders they do have copyright, the design of their shoulder pads in such a convex shape with a symbol directly in the middle with a raised bar on the outside edge and indents on the inside, thats GW's design if chapterhouse had produced a cube shaped shoulder pad with a dragon and said these fit space marine's from gamesworkshops range, rather than saying salamander shoulder pads then this wouldn't be an argument. This case is being tried under English law (please everyone note their is no such thing as UK law) where design law states that a product sold must be significantly different and not just enlarged and differently coloured.

Banned

But she's got a new hat! - I mean - the sawblade goes in the other direction - totally unique and new!

Occuli Imperator

I believe this point has been made previously, also, it is the copying of the distincitve elements which is an issue, otherwise people would not be able to copyright/ip/trademark football designs afterall, they are all spheres, and you can't copyright a shape (well unless you are apple in a court ruling against samsung...)
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    you can't copyright a shape (well unless you are apple in a court ruling against samsung...)
    Only in the third court though after two others threw it out...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Iron Father

Bollocks to this debate, I want an army of Mr Mysterys "Space Daves"
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Don't worry, we'll do an add-on for warmace 400c

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    But she's got a new hat! - I mean - the sawblade goes in the other direction - totally unique and new!
    legally for copyright yes the opposite direction does make it legally unique, but more importantly is the number of teeth. So no, CH's flesh tearers shoulderpads are not a copy of GW's, they might borrow heavily, immorally so, but they are not copies.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

where design law states that a product sold must be significantly different
    Now here this is a problem, who defines "significatly different" Significant without a mathematical base is subjective so is GW significantly distinct from D&D is D&D significantly distinct from Lord of the rings? If so Why is Chapterhouses Unique designs considered not significant and GW's are?

You're letting your brain fool you into thinking there is logic here that just isn't there beyond subjectivity.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

After going around the same argument 500 times I think it's time to be rid of these silly CHS vs GW debates.
    Thread closed.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415