BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default eldar vs necrons help

All:

I have been playing a lot of games against necrons lately. Heres what I need help with:

I recently faced a cron player who had veil of darkness in two squads and the rest in ghost arks, when I would get close with my mellee units (IE warlocks and DE wyches) he would just teleport away and since if I turbo-boost or move flat out I cannot do anything for the rest of the turn I basically chased him the entire game while he just shot me.

all vehicles ended up dead by turn three due to the ridiculousness of gauss weapons which made matters even worse since then I had to foot slog it after him.

Any tips on how to fight necrons with a Eldar/DE allies list? getting close enough to assault can be pretty difficult against the double court.

Also even if I get close I still have to deal with scarabs and wraiths which can easily go toe-to-toe with my best units for less cost.

so to sum up, I play eldar/DE and need help with:

scarab farms
    wraith spam
    Veil of Darkness teleports

I would forget trying to get into Close Combat with them.

What you need to do is fall back to the old and true method and...

Just shoot them.

If you are taking Dark Eldar as Allies you should have access to their Long Range Firepower.

If all you are doing is following him around you are playing his game.

That is something you never want to do. So forget chasing them.

any ideas on what to shoot with?

fire prizms dont kill enough to make them not get back up typically unless they are sitting out in the open

so war walkers and reapers is about whats left, any suggestions

Brother-Sergeant

i would say two squads of outflanking warwalkers with scatter lasers, a full five man unit of dark reapers with exarch and crackshot. for your fast two squads of hawks with exarch and skyleap drop the template as much as you can. troops i would say pathfinders and guardian squads with scatter laser platforms. hq farseers, oh and did i mention farseers :P .
    now, why those units might you ask? warwalkers are the best mindf!&$ unit we got right now people see em and get all jittery for some reason and its because the weight of str6 shots one unit is staggering. the reapers are awesome especially right now, ten ap3 str5 shots in one round and the exarchs two cover saves cannot be taken and wounds re-rolled. in my opinion our best harassment unit right now is the hawks take a small 5 man unit with exarch skyleap, the grande pack they carry coupled with their haywire grenades for later in the game should drive your opponent bonkers. pathfinders, by far my favorite unit and usually make their points back for me. taken in squads larger than five and smaller than ten with their improved ap1 and cover, are an investment however can pay dividends. guardians with a cheap platform great objective sitters, take them to ground if you have to, WHEN you have to. farseers, ain't they why we play eldar? use their powers guide, fortune, doom, coupled with any of the for mentioned units will give your opponent a reason for pause. whats worse than one farseer? two, coupled with sixth ed powers and codex powers on each respecting seer supporting your army has never been more fun.

Im with CouchViking on this one. War Walkers (2x3 in my army) are nasty buggers. People complain, that they are squishy, but hey, with that price, with outflanking AND the amount of Scatter laser shots, who cares! Bring em to the table and watch the cookie crumble...Take the Farseer to Guide them (or use two of the new powers) and take can dish out some mean punishment...Pathfinders are also very good, due to Sniper/Cover save "niceness"...

Chapter-Master

Use Pathfinders. Get that 6 to hit and its AP1 and you can choose the target.

Roll a 6 (hope he fails his Res Prot), boom dead Cryptek. No more Veiling.

necrons are a very hard match up. I've yet to beat them

I'm AFB right now, whats the ruling on Veil of Darkness deepstriking and a weapon with interceptor? Say a Quad gun on the defence line?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I've actually had some luck when it comes to Necrons.

But I beat them at their own game of stupid hard Deathstars.

I've discovered that a Foot Seercouncil is just crazy good with the right characters joined. Those characters are Eldrad (no surprise there I'm sure), A Farseer with Fortune and Doom, and a Tau Commander w/ Hit and Run. Eldrad runs Telepathy in the hope of getting hallucination to lock down a squad... like the ones that teleport, and for psychic Shriek. You won't get many casts if you can get Hallucinate as it takes 2 warp charge but if you didn't get it then there is a very high chance you got Invisibility which, with conceal, gives your Deathstar a 2+ coversave as long as its up. Plus, as all warlocks are characters, I am able to reallocate wounds however I want 50% of the time from the sides or rear.

Anyhow, the remainder of my points were spent on min squads of Jetbikes and 2 Falcons with SL and SC. The Tau side consisted of 12 Firewarriors with a markerlight (had the extra points) and 3 Broadsides with multi-tracker and 2 shield drones and a blacksun filter.

Many high priority threats to deal with, and all of them are durable. Plus the bikes are fast enought to stay away from combat and get where you need them turn 5 onward.

Chaplain

War walkers with scatter laser are decent against footsloggers, but with only 2 HP each, they'll get pwned by mass gauss. Pathfinders are good for killing veil crypyeks or putting wounds on characters with weave and Fire Dragons are the way to demech Necrons with quantum shielding spam. You'll need some luck now as they will most likely get a 5+ cover save for being non-stationary skimmers. Scatter lasers need rear shots against Necron Quantum shielded vehicles to have any chance of inflicting damage, that is really hard to pull off.

You can get some DE anti-mech with blaster Trueborn, HL or Blaster Scourges or Reavers, as well as Ravagers and Voidravens. All these units will instagib scarabs as well.
    Last edited by Necron_Lord; 08-20-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    "Winning is a theme" - John "JJ" Layfield

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Use Pathfinders. Get that 6 to hit and its AP1 and you can choose the target.

Roll a 6 (hope he fails his Res Prot), boom dead Cryptek. No more Veiling.

necrons are a very hard match up. I've yet to beat them

I'm AFB right now, whats the ruling on Veil of Darkness deepstriking and a weapon with interceptor? Say a Quad gun on the defence line?
    Whereas before I would only take Pathfinders and never bother with normal Rangers, now I don't really see much point in paying so many more points for the upgrade. Increasing the chance of AP1 to a 5+ isn't particularly useful, as we only really care about the 6s to let us allocate the wound. The Move Through Cover will rarely do much as they're going to be still most of the time to fire their rifles accurately, and one extra to your cover save isn't worth the cost of the upgrade when you could just have more Rangers for the points.

Remember, Ranger Long Rifles are AP1 on a 6 to hit, upgrading to Pathfinders just increases it to a 5+, and you can't allocate the wound on a 5.

Veteran-Sergeant

Well I for one find the 5+ very useful against armoured targets. But the main reason I upgrade to Pathfinders is for the 2+ cover save in ruins and behind walls. Wraiths can be a huge pain, but they only have a 3+ save and therefore volume of fire is your best bet. Of course, they ignore terrain and if you are unlucky with scenery placement, you might not get the chance to shoot them before being in combat.

I used to run a seer council with Eldrad, a Fortune farseer and 10 warlocks, with enhance, embolden and 4 destructor. That unit would rip through wraiths with no problem, although it is very expensive. Otherwise fortuned jetbikes should work really well.
    Donate to the Free Isha Fund today! Bathe regularly and help disinfect the warp with clean dreams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast