BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Dark Eldar w/ Eldar Allies, 1750

Duke Sliscus
    Eldrad (ally)

Warriors x20 (2x Splinter Cannons, Sybarite)
    Warriors x5 (Blaster)
    -Venom w/ Splinter Cannons, Nightshield
    Warriors x5 (Blaster)
    Warriors x5 (Blaster)
    Rangers x5 (ally), (Pathfinder upgrade)

Voidraven Bomber (2x Shatterfield Missiles, Nightshields, flickerfield)

Aegis Defense Line, Quad Gun

Total = 1750

So Duke sits with the Warrior blob and makes them a ridiculous anti-infantry unit, especially when one factors in the buffs from Eldrad. The Voidravens are being taken over the Razorwings for two reasons: the AV11 keeps a lucky bolter shot from stripping off my hull, and dropping the bomb on top of a transport is now an excellent way to leave the table. The shatterfields are now my go-to choice on this weapon, improving my odds of damaging transports now that AV- is no longer the severe penalty it used to be. And being as they can only fire two at a time, I save the points on having to take four.

The Rangers are simply there as an excellent way to cause craziness for my opponent on turn one. With some of them playing flyer-heavy lists, turn one tends to see 1-2 units desperately scrambling for cover--something that can be denied with careful use of Eldrad's repositioning and the infiltration.

You are not actualy" saving points" by taking two missiles as shatterfield missiles can only be used once per game, thus you actualy currently have three bombers that get one turn of shooting each before they run out of ammo . you should drop the nightshields as the minimum speed and maximum turns for voidravens mean they will be in the center of the table all the time, and with premeasuring your enemy will just move into range of your venoms, keep the flicker fields on the voidravens though way better than jink saves.
    Last edited by Foxdonut; 08-21-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: clarification (added "currently)

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Foxdonut View Post
    You are not actualy" saving points" by taking two missiles as shatterfield missiles can only be used once per game, thus you actualy currently have three bombers that get one turn of shooting each before they run out of ammo . you should drop the nightshields as the minimum speed and maximum turns for voidravens mean they will be in the center of the table all the time, and with premeasuring your enemy will just move into range of your venoms, keep the flicker fields on the voidravens though way better than jink saves.
    I forgive you, you clearly haven't read my lists before. I've been using three Razorwings/Voidravens before either one had models. I am well aware of the missile restrictions, and I think you are overestimating the value past the first salvo. After salvo one, the ability to fire on a large enough number of targets drops significantly, be it a blob of infantry (which will move apart to reduce the effects) or a tightly packed parking lot full of rhinos (which can disgorge their troops in close enough to make the missiles ineffective).

Also, NEVER underestimate the value of -6" when it comes to controlling your opponent. Players will do very unusual things, or trade off far more than they should, to kill that model an extra 6" away, even when they know exactly where they are--don't forget, if they know where they need to be to line the shot up, then so do I!

I'm not worried about only two missiles each. Truth be told, the missiles are a pleasant bonus and a valuable enough purchase that they are better than previous options at only 20 points for each vehicle. After killing tanks (and I suspect that this will take longer than you do) they are still a pair of lascannon lances backed up by a lascannon-esque small blast. More than acceptable in function, especially now that the small blast even clipping a tank does full damage. There is more than enough anti-infantry to kill any major threats on that end which make it to the table, even against big nasty hordes like Tyranids and Orks. And the Voidravens mean that even against Stormravens and Val-Dettas I can punch through the heaviest armor each turn.

Just remember that Eldrad can not cast Guide or Fortune on the warrior blob. You'll have to switch out for Divination powers to make him useful. Though Doom will still work for the whole army.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Xarplo View Post
    Just remember that Eldrad can not cast Guide or Fortune on the warrior blob. You'll have to switch out for Divination powers to make him useful. Though Doom will still work for the whole army.
    Thankfully, Divination is a far better table than the Eldar powers anyway in every way that matters except for Fortune. I will gladly take Misfortune over Doom nine times out of ten, and Prescience is exponentially better than Guide in range and effect.

BTW, we are pretty sure that you can't have powers from both the book and the codex.
    Last edited by thecactusman17; 08-24-2012 at 12:08 PM.