BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Thank Guys, no really THANKS!! I thought I was all set with SDE, Zombicide, Sedition Wars and Relic Knights, but they you just haad to point me at this one didn't you.

The internet is bad for my wallet....

but great for my HOBBY!! woop woop!
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Fair point about Dark Vengeance, but Sedition Wars 100 set still started with at least two dozen miniatures I'm fairly sure and Reapers started with 67. I don't recall what some of the other like Zombicide started with. I don't mean to be harsh but my first thought at looking this was 'wow, this is really impressive' but then looking at the prices it turned to 'oh, another Mantic dissapointment'. Bear in mind I'm basing this on the assumption the basic 80 set won't be getting more teams so the miniature ratio isn't likely to increase much.

Edit: Ok so the first stretch goal was reached and the third (60k) is two extra team members for each team added to each set, bringing the total to 20 miniatures. That is na improvement but given thatyou want people pledging as early as possible to build momentum I really don't think it is enough.

I totally agree that compared to other Kickstarters it isn't as good value. But I'm not sure we should be comparing it to other Kickstarters, but to 'normal' minis. I posted a much longer, much more [URL="http://collegiatitanica.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/kickstarters-good-or-bad-for-hobby.html"]rambling series of thoughts here[/URL].

From Mantic on the KS comments:
    @ Insane_prophet - there are no plans to offer the board or cards separately yet (though we do have something really cool coming up regarding the board ) but there will be a separate counter pack in acrylic available soon.

@ Boris - it is a female corporation team and you'll be able to mix them in with the male corp models.

Anyway, we've still got to get the Forge Fathers and the Veer-myn out yet!
    Ok, so firstly, another yay for a female team. If that is available as a cheap addition I might pledge yet.

Now to address the bolded bit, if they upgrade the board to be a more scifi, high tech arena thing perhaps even a proper terrain piece I will be all over this. This is just rampant wishlisting. But the current disco field doesn't do much for me.

Gotthammer, that is a very well thought out article. But I will say this regarding my comments about the number of miniatures, it isn't just that they are few in number (I'm pledging to Relic Knights for only twenty for 100) it is that they aren't particularly interesting. Not at all bad, but compared to the strong and varied aesthetics of Relic Knights and the vast variety of Reaper, Sedition Wars and KoW it just feels a little lacklustre not just because of the basic cost per model.

I think people getting accustomed to cheap miniatures as per Reaper Bones is a problem which is why I am hoping it is, at most, a yearly thing. But when you consider they ship out nearly two million miniatures a year I think it is a safe bet to say that much of their customerbase weren't involved in the KS and there will be plenty of people buying miniatures from them still. It is actually quite good really, the KS pays for the moulds so even if they don't sell exceptionally better after general release they won't be losing money, but still saving money on metal prices.
    Last edited by eldargal; 08-26-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Banned

Thanks for the kind words - it's something I've been ruminating on for a while now

Oh yes, I understand your particular issue, but you provided a nice succinct soundbyte to use I also agree that they're not very thrilling minis either. The designs could work with more dynamic poses, or the same poses with more intense designs.

Part of the reason I skipped Bones was because I owned prettymuch all the minis initially on offer, and the lower quality was a turn off for the rest. I wonder if everyone realises they're going to be slightly lower quality than most wargaming plastics?

I wouldn't say lower quality, the Bones model I bought to check is just as detailed as the metal and nigh indestructible. I will admit the extra flexibility is a little offputting at first.

Well the two extra players are a move in the right direction, and a female corporation team will do a lot for variety, to be fair. But I still worry about the health of the KS, relying on stretch goals to make the initial buy in economical doesn't seem a particularly sound approach.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Some of the upper pledges come with special etched acrylic gameboards, i wonder if a halfway house could be an option in the future...
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Replacing a psot lost in the post loss thing:

Midgard Delvers revealed:

Skittersneak Stealers revealed:

First-Captain

Striker level is finally getting more stuff than Jack. A couple more players and some counters. There is also a ticket for a mantic dreadball event. That would appeal to me due to my lack of gaming chums.

Female MVP Wildcard revealed:

The pose is just to give the sculptor as much to work on as possible, she will be in a dynamic action pose when sculpted apparently. I just hope they manage to pull off a decent sculpt, their females to date have been abysmal.

110k met, so another team expansion for Striker, which nets you this:

Have to admit it is looking a little more tempting all laid out like that. They just need to get some of those alternate poses sculpted.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast