BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Default Horus Heresy: The Primarchs

So far I have read the 'Reflection Crack's', 'Feat of Iron', and I am about halfway through 'The Lion'. Please don't comment on 'The Lion' yet, as it is just starting to get good.

***************************************SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**************************

In "Reflection": Is Fulgrim actually trapped within the portrait, or is the demon trying to escape the portrait. And if the demon is in the portrait, why is Fulgrim acting so out of character with his men? Or if Fulgrim is trapped in the portrait, is he returned to his body at the end of the story?

I thought 'Feat of Iron' was ok. In all the other fluff I remember, Ferrus Manus (heh, Iron Man) was always a quiet brooding individual. Now it seems like he has been made out to be more like Angron. And it is never really revealed what the eldar farseers were trying to tell him, which was frustrating. For that matter, was the burning sensation around Manus's neck from the farseers? Or simply some foreboding of his eventual confrontation with Fulgrim?

Librarian

ok, Fulgrim and the picture. is a direct link to [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray"]Dorian Gray[/URL]

the final resting place of the picture is never revealed, or not that i have found. though it is mentioned that fulgrim is in his mind still. he just has no controland can only observe the actions of the demon, in anguish.

as for ferrus, i assumed the itching on his neck and the black sand were indeed a vision of the match up with fulgrim. the dreamscape in the cave i thought was the fall of the primarchs and the legions, as the eldar saw them, but using ferrus' mind as the key. i found feat of iron quite a hard read, i just could not conentrate on it, TBH the audio book was the life saver for me as i gave up on the book.

i hope you enjoy the lion as much as i did it is the best story in the collection IMHO and opens up some cool interpretations of long standing fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Codpiece View Post
    ok, Fulgrim and the picture. is a direct link to [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray"]Dorian Gray[/URL]

the final resting place of the picture is never revealed, or not that i have found. though it is mentioned that fulgrim is in his mind still. he just has no controland can only observe the actions of the demon, in anguish.

as for ferrus, i assumed the itching on his neck and the black sand were indeed a vision of the match up with fulgrim. the dreamscape in the cave i thought was the fall of the primarchs and the legions, as the eldar saw them, but using ferrus' mind as the key. i found feat of iron quite a hard read, i just could not conentrate on it, TBH the audio book was the life saver for me as i gave up on the book.

i hope you enjoy the lion as much as i did it is the best story in the collection IMHO and opens up some cool interpretations of long standing fluff.
    I totally get the Dorian Grey thing. Except in Fulgrim, it appears the portrait goes the other way around: in Fulgrim it starts out as a disgusting, infected thing painted with blood and bodily fluids and possessed by a demon, and in The Reflection it is now a beautiful work of art of Fulgrim with something else locked inside. I was never sure if the demon was still in the portrait, or if it is now Fulgrim's soul.

In The Reflection the portrait is still in the La Fenice Theater. If you mean in modern times, i.e. M42, then yeah, we don't know where the portrait is, or if Fulgrim is still in it or not. So really I just am trying to clarify if Lucius and his cohort released Fulgrim from the portrait, or if the demon is still in Fulgrim and just decided "Surprise guys! Im really Fulgrim now, lover of fluffy kittens. For reals this time guys. It's me."

I found Feat of Iron to be a hard, plodding read as well. I did like the farseer's version of what the primarchs looked like based on Manus's memory of them, especially with the two of them with scratched out features.
    I wish the eldar would have just blurted out his warning instead of trying to sooth Manus's temperament. And again, I did not like how Manus was portrayed more like Angron.

I am trying to track down audio books, but they are hard to find

Finally: I wish there was a picture somewhere that showed the cover of "The Primarchs" without the overlaying text. I would much like to see the artists rendition of them without the interference, and the black and white inside the cover is just too grainy to see.
    Last edited by Jmaximum; 08-25-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: forgot stuff

Fly Lord

My take was that by the end of The Reflection, we see that Fulgrim has turned the tables on the Daemon, and it is his fully twisted primarch self that has re-asserted control - basically the Daemon gave Fulgrim's willl an avenue to fully fall to Slaanesh, but that no mere warp entity could ever hope to contain the will of a Primarch within its own body.

Feat of Iron was beyond a slog, and every time I read more about the Iron Hands I'm happy Ferrus was beheaded. Ugh, what a one dimensional, dolt. As with any group of 20 individuals, even amonst the primarchs there must have been one dullard - looks like it was Ferrus.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

I would still like to see the unblemished artwork of the artist's rendition of the primarchs from the cover of The Primarchs.

My thanks goes out to Cap Codpiece for sending me some amazing artwork!