BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lone Wolves

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Not quite sure what you're asking here. You never have to pay for meltabombs. I think Mark of the Wulfen pretty clearly prevents you from using them anyway, so if I was taking a Marked Lone Wolf, I wouldn't buy meltabombs for him.
    sorry ... being vague there ... meant that if you pay for the meltabombs for the squad at 5pts per model, you're 'wasting' that 5 points spent for the wulfen, because he can't use them and they're purchased by squad, not individual model.

in the case of a lone wolf, of course, there's no such issue.

Veteran-Sergeant

I think they are great and could def. disrupt the enemy lines a bit but I do not think they are a stand out unit , but they are fun .

Quote Originally Posted by MightyOrang View Post
    sorry ... being vague there ... meant that if you pay for the meltabombs for the squad at 5pts per model, you're 'wasting' that 5 points spent for the wulfen, because he can't use them and they're purchased by squad, not individual model.
    Ah, I see what you mean now. In that case yes, I believe you do have to pay for the Marked model's meltabombs (though I would certainly feel no obligation to model them), as the Marked model is still a "model."

We might see a FAQ on this, similar to the way painboyz and Kaptin Badrukk don't have to purchase snazzgun upgrades, but for now, I'd say that Marked wulfen definitely still have to buy meltabombs if the meltabombs are purchased for an entire squad.

So, either the 45+ point TDA (60 or 65 for most builds with combi melta and upgraded power weapon to "whatever") or the basic "cheap" option of power armor and MotW for 35 seems to be the general consensus? 'course, everyone plays it different, and mine will likely be one of the TDA builds for the "find something big and kill it" sort of thing :-)...

Battle-Brother

I personaly like The TH/SS option. While sure these lone wolves won't be able to do much to a Landraider they still will do just about as fine agnist regular veichals and walkers. But, while vehicals are huge here in
    5th lets not forget about the big guys lone wolves desinged to fight. I mean I don't think a chainfist will help you very much if your facing Crons/nids, however agnist those amies your TH will help a whole lot. The abillity to knock down an opposing modle's I to 1 should make C'tans shutter. I know it isn't the best choice right now but when the great devavur comes knnocking in Janury you might want to consider the TH.

Chaplain

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the appeal of MotW at all, especially on a Lone Wolf. Wouldn't it be better to have a powerful, damaging weapon?

www.evildice40k.com

Its just so much fun to have a Werewolf running around eating people.
    Rhino and then managed to hold the Tactical squad for 2 turns of combat eventuly killing them all.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorEternalXIX View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand the appeal of MotW at all, especially on a Lone Wolf. Wouldn't it be better to have a powerful, damaging weapon?
    Depends a bit on what he's hunting... If I'm facing a bunch of troops and no/few vehicles/DN's/etc., then the potential 8 attacks with a Rending weapon starts looking good... And it's pretty cheap...

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorEternalXIX View Post
    On a Lone Wolf it's not particularly good, but it's a nice upgrade for Grey Hunter squads. It costs just as much as a power weapon and if I remember correctly the math works out in favor of the Mark of the Wulfen as long as the roll of the D6 is at least average (meaning a 3-4 is rolled).

Chaplain

Depends a bit on what he's hunting... If I'm facing a bunch of troops and no/few vehicles/DN's/etc., then the potential 8 attacks with a Rending weapon starts looking good... And it's pretty cheap...
    This makes sense but I don't understand the potential 8 attacks. Is it really that high?

EDIT: Just scoped out the MotW rules...seems pretty good. At minimal it will be 3, which I suppose is roughly as good as the other options. Also, not that I would, but it seems like you can stack MotW on another model (like the guy with the Wolf Standard). I think I will have to play it with MotW a few times to see how I feel about it.
    Last edited by EmperorEternalXIX; 10-31-2009 at 12:54 PM.

www.evildice40k.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast