BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Karchev The Terrible now a 40k Ripoff

Has anyone else noticed that that the new "Hellbrute" in the latest 40k box set is amazingly similar to the Khador model of Karchev This makes me frown because of the policy that GW has concerning their own product licensing.

Yep, I can totally see the similarities... All of that flesh... and flesh... and a gun... and tentacles...

Yep, I totally see it.

/sarcasm
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

OK so aesthetics aside the person who made this model clearly used this as a template. I don't care one way or the other that he did this what I was trying to say that GW lays the smack down on stuff like this. I personally feel that this model is close enough in design to be hypocritical on the part of GW.

/No Sarcasm
    Last edited by Ironhide77; 09-02-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Banned

You mean a dreadnought with a visible pilot is stolen from a warjack with a visible pilot? Because if you're discarding aesthetics we're left with 'giant robot with a dude in', which Karchev is more a rip-off of GW as dreadnoughts are a staple of 40k, while 'jacks don't have pilots, so a guy riding in one is more tenuous as inpiration than as inspired by.
    Also given the hellbrute is a modification of a 20 year old design by GW with the even older Chaos aesthetic layered over the top, we're only left with the particular pose, which is spurious reasoning at best, as I'm sure we could find dozens of models that are posed alike. And they're not actually posed very similarly either.

Fair Points. I will shut up.

Battle-Brother

Unless thay are able to patent the pose.... and the colour red

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by mordiano View Post
    Unless thay are able to patent the pose.... and the colour red
    Well, they've at least trademarked several reds now :-)

It' is weird how similar they are though.

If anything it shows just how far ahead GW are in the model department, the Helbrute has so much more impact and detail and the posing is a lot better, it makes the Warmachine guy look something GW were doing 20 years ago.

Chapter-Master

It is a very similar pose... But they're both ugly, I much prefer the square Space Marine dreadnought...

Like this one,

Last edited by Psychosplodge; 09-06-2012 at 11:31 AM.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Fly Lord

If anything it shows just how far ahead GW are in the model department, the Helbrute has so much more impact and detail and the posing is a lot better, it makes the Warmachine guy look something GW were doing 20 years ago.
    That said...

Karchev is quite an old model, and the Helbrute is right on the cutting edge of GW's technical abilities. Also, the standard Imperial dreads do look quite lame compared to either of these two.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast