BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Tau Commander for style points.

I recently finished my Tau Commander (and small Tau army) and am very pleased with how he turned out, so I decided to post some pics.

He is equipped with an XV84 suit (markerlight and target lock), missile pod, twin-linked fusion blasters, multi-tracker, stimulant injectors, drone controller & gun drones. I feel the markerlight and missiles go very well together and give him nice punch and an ability to support the rest of the army at range. Rules-wise I suspect a twin-linked plasma rifle would be a better choice than the fusion blasters but the blasters just look so cool! Plus they're cheaper which is important as they are mostly a backup for the missiles and markerlight in case something big really REALLY has to die.

All feedback welcome.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Scout

Dustyn likes, the bases look outstanding and I like the simple flat color scheme. One thing I picked up early on with Tau stuff is that a 'Gundam' line marker works wonders on the lines between the plates. The black gives some contrast to the the model and adds depth to the armor. The drones look especially awesome I really like the texture and balance of the bases. What are you using for the grass?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNight1647 View Post
    I really like the texture and balance of the bases. What are you using for the grass?
    Citadel grass actually, I just use Elmer's glue to attach it. The gravel is just citadel texture paint with a little white drybrushed on top, it's something new I've started working with only recentl and I think it comes out really well so I may be rebasing the rest of my collection to include it.

I actually replaced the fusion blasters with modified plasma rifles which look pretty cool and I figure will be more effective.
    Last edited by Just_Me; 09-03-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNight1647 View Post
    One thing I picked up early on with Tau stuff is that a 'Gundam' line marker works wonders on the lines between the plates. The black gives some contrast to the the model and adds depth to the armor.
    I agree about lining the plates. I picked up some [url=http://www.amazon.com/Pigma-Micron-Pen-0-2mm-Black/dp/B007XNV1OG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1346726893&sr=8-7&keywords=pigma+micron+pens+005]micron pens like these[/url] and use them on all my models. Anywhere there is an indentation or a concave joining of armor plates, just draw a line over your paint. Really makes a bright paint job pop.
    Give a man fire, and you keep him warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Librarian

Here are new pics of the model after replacing his fusion blasters with plasma rifles:

Scout

I like the plasma rifles better.

Nice. I think the plasma rifles look better than the fusion blasters, and complement the other weapons better - the extra range lets him stand back and support the army better.

Battle-Brother

Plasma is the way to go w/ fusion you are just asking to get assaulted then bye bye suit. Those pigma pens work wonders and should make your suit standout even more. I really like the pose however I think you should thin down the paint more next time.

Iron Father

I like your paint scheme and the work you have put into the bases is very nice. You paint cleanly too....however, your paint is far too thick. It needs to be thinned and put on in smoother coats.
    I dont want to sound like a sour puss, because I truly like what you have done. But some of the detail between the armour plates is lost because of the thickness of the paint. I am by no means a great painter who knows it all either, but I do think we post pictures because we all want to get better.
    Basically your paintings good, but it could be better and that could be said of all of us
    Keep up the good work and keep moving forward
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    ...I am by no means a great painter who knows it all either, but I do think we post pictures because we all want to get better.
    Basically your paintings good, but it could be better and that could be said of all of us
    Keep up the good work and keep moving forward
    Please don't be so apologetic, I DO post pics for feedback, so I'm always happy to get it. The paint isn't really quite as thick as it looks (I have yet to master actually photographing my models), though I will keep your advice in mind for the future. I think that it wouldn't appear so heavy if I detailed the plates like others have suggested.