BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 40k Artwork

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by ggg View Post
    I hate are the more childlike, cartoonie pieces. Take the dreadful Black Reach cover- compare that rendition of ultra Marines against the Ultra Marines images in the previous marines codex.
    Agreed. I like some of Blanches stuff esp. his Primarch sketches, others like what Melissia was talking about I don't like. Blanche tends to use some Ridiculously over-the-top Grimdark stuff, but without it 40k would lose its Grimdarkness.
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Agreed. I mean if I wanted to look like that I could pull it off with leather or latex, but if you look at Space Marines then the armour must be at least an inch thick, no way its going to work. Not how I'd envisage the Imperiums militant nuns.
    Apart from that I can't think of any 40k art I have taken an instant antipathy to. I actually quite like the Black Reach cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    I want to slap Blanche for this particular piece of Sisters art. Damn fetishist.

[url]http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/melissiablackheart/Other/Sororitas-Blanche.jpg[/url]

It's disgusting. If she's wearing power armor, then she's rail thin and a swift wind will break her bones. Power armor is thick, metallic, and durable. I don't know what kind of crap that thing in front is wearing...

There's some awesome Sisters art out there. None of it was made by Blanche.
    Last edited by eldargal; 10-04-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Chapter-Master

I want to slap Blanche for this particular piece of Sisters art. Damn fetishist.

[url]http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/melissiablackheart/Other/Sororitas-Blanche.jpg[/url]

It's disgusting. If she's wearing power armor, then she's rail thin and a swift wind will break her bones. Power armor is thick, metallic, and durable. I don't know what kind of crap that thing in front is wearing...

That is a beautiful piece of art. This has always been one of my favorites.

I love Blanche's work. Always have.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Battle-Brother

I also like John Blanches artwork, he conveys one aspect of the 'feeling' of 40k. Furthermore, I spoke to him at this years GW for about 15minutes with a friend of mine and he is a really nice bloke!

I've always liked that piece. The artwork doesn't have to make sense in a realistic way, I mean, look at the bones! They aren't realistic in the slightest. Your criticism seems completely irrelevant to me (misplaced feminism?).

Now you might not like John Blanches style but the more popular art that goes in the books as well as the general aesthetic of 40k leads directly back to him. Think of him as the ideas guy that the other artists who made the "awesome sisters art" derive some of their influence from. You don't have to like his work but you can appreciate his influence on 40k. He doesn't care about being popular.

Oh, and hi gais!

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip View Post
    I've always liked that piece. The artwork doesn't have to make sense in a realistic way, I mean, look at the bones! They aren't realistic in the slightest. Your criticism seems completely irrelevant to me (misplaced feminism?).
    No. I want my army to look like an ARMY, not a bunch of leather-clad dominatrix sluts.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Then play Imperial Guard or a WW2 game or something. This is 40k. I've never thought they looks like dominatrix sluts. They look like sci-fi, grimdark, gothic, fundamentalist nutcases, which is what they are. They are a hateful religious mob, not an army, and Blanches work captures their character perfectly.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip View Post
    Then play Imperial Guard or a WW2 game or something. This is 40k. I've never thought they looks like dominatrix sluts. They look like sci-fi, grimdark, gothic, fundamentalist nutcases, which is what they are. They are a hateful religious mob, not an army, and Blanches work captures their character perfectly.
    I don't have to play Guard to have an army that doesn't look like leather-clad dominatrix sluts. I just have to ignore Blanche's craptacular artwork. Imagine if he drew Marines to look like they were wearing spandex, would you say "well that's what they look like, stop playing Marines if you don't like it".

Here's an example of a better piece of art, for example:

[url]http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/melissiablackheart/Sisters-Single.jpg[/url]

This looks like she's actually wearing armor. This looks like a Sister of Battle.

I don't know what the hell Blanche drew in that picture, but they weren't Sisters of Battle.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

The thing is that picture you just linked to owes a lot to John Blanche, it wouldn't exist without him. Blanche's artwork is not meant to be realistic or canon, it's not about showing what a Battle Sister "actually looks like". It is meant to evoke an atmosphere and sense of character for the subject in question and it does that very well.

For an analogy, look at this work by Picasso:
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/picassoweeping1937.jpg/][img=http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2500/picassoweeping1937.th.jpg][/url]
    It barely looks like a human being at all and yet it's a masterpiece because of how it says things about the woman in the painting.

The artists with more conventional painting styles may be more popular, but Blanche is more influential.
    Last edited by Mudkip; 10-05-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Abbess Sanctorum

Did you just compare a half-arsed sci-fi artist to Picasso? *mind is blown*

No. Just no. Blanche's work on the Sisters is crap. It doesn't set the theme of the army, it dosen't set the attitude of the army. He's going on sex appeal and that alone. His art on this army is mediocre at best, and the picture I posted looks almost nothing like the one Blanche drew.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast