BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default How should I kit my predators?

I am currently working on a list where I am running 2 Predators with the full lascannon load out as I feel I need the oopmh to to kill AV 14 stuff. What does everybody else think. I really like the extra firepower but is it worth 90 points? Thanks in advance!

Veteran-Sergeant

I'll go off of personal experience, and advice from Kirby over at 3++ is the new black, you are spending too much for the ability to shoot at something that can be taken out via other means for less and with better survivability.

If you have Codex: Space Marines, I would use something else, storm talon with twin linked las (150), 5 man sternguard with 2 las cannons (145?), attack bikes turbo boosting with multi-melta (70?), land speeder with multi-melta (60?).

If you have Codex: Blood Angels, i'd go with just the twin linked las cannon turret, take advantage of that Fast vehicle upgrade.

This is just my 2 cents though.

Librarian

I always preferred Autocannon and 2 lascannons on my preds.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by ChacoStylez View Post

land speeder with multi-melta

This is just my 2 cents though.
    totally agree with this, you could also add another melta and still have points to play with. Land speeders are great, I don't mix load outs on them, it's either 2 flamers or 2 meltas and both do their jobs very well. I know they can be a fire magnet, which is why when I take them I take 2 or 3 but with jink etc, they do very well
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Occuli Imperator

Mathammer people will tell in you in great lenght that multimeltas are more reliable at taking out AV14 than Lascannons.
    At the end of the day, you need to consider what you are up against.
    If I play against horde I take Autocannon & Heavy Bolters, if I am against armour then I take the lascannon turret and heavy bolters as it works out cheaper than alscannon sponsons and autocannon turret, or is that the otherway round? Hmm. Either way I go for the cheaper option of the two.
    But I play BA so I usually take Baals instead, but that falls into my Fast slot rather than Heavy so might require more rejigging.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

My suggestion is to use magnets so you can swap things around and see what works best for you. There are a number of tutorials out that will help you do that. My experience over the years is that between different armies, codexes and FAQs what is "effective" tends to change so now I build everything with magnets.

I recommend using Destructors, if you use them at all, if not Devastators and Landraiders for that AV12+ Hammering.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    My suggestion is to use magnets so you can swap things around and see what works best for you. There are a number of tutorials out that will help you do that. My experience over the years is that between different armies, codexes and FAQs what is "effective" tends to change so now I build everything with magnets.
    I'm a big painting and modeling guy, so I'm usually leery of "magnetize everything!" advice. However, creating a swappable predator is so easy. You just need to buy extra sponsons and extra turrets. Total eBay cost: about $20. Adding magnets to the sponsons is a breeze, and saves you from having to glue them into the sides. The turret need no magnets - it just pops in.

Now, another benefit of the dakka pred (autocannon & heavy bolters) is that it can still contribute even if your opponent choses to field no vehicles, a choice that may become somewhat more common in the new environment, now that vehicles are no longer quite as hard to kill. They are also a lot cheaper. I also agree that there are better las platforms, as well as other sources of weaponry that can glance AV 14 to death. Consider both melta and long-range Strength 8 weapons that can get lucky - like typhoon missile launchers - or assault cannons, which combine strength 6 and rending. It's a longshot, but remember that you only have to get lucky four times to kill even a land raider or monolith or whatever.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

The two main variants to consider are the AC/HB and AC/LC variants. The AC/HB Pred is dirt cheap and works as fire support to knock out very light armor (11 or less) or putting wounds on something. The AC/LC Pred is more focused on knocking out tougher vehicles (AV12/13). The TLLC variants are too pricey when you have other anti-armor options available for cheaper.

For smaller games, around 1,000 downwards, twin lascannon and heavy Bolters does well. It will struggle to run out of targets with that kit. Bung in a Hunter Killer to really punish a vehicle squadron caught in the open!

Overall, helps to know the rest of your army. Predator is typically at it's best plugging gaps.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast