BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Iron Father

Default Weight loss and 40k, ideas welcome.

Basically I got on the scales at the local zoo and the results said I weighed the same as a large male giant panda.

This is not good. So some buddies and myself have come up with an escalation campaign for this winter working up to 2000pts on 250pt increments, starting at 500 pts which includes weightloss.

Here is the idea, on discussing our hobbies and the realisation that our physiques have seen a bit (a lot) of gravity over the past few years it was time to lose some fat. 37 and its getting harder, this might be the encouragement i needed.

Anyway the plan is we will all weigh ourselves this sunday, 2 weeks after we meet for our 1st game and anyone who has lost 2% of their total bodyweight gets an extra 50pts, if you put on weight you lose 50pts

2 weeks later same again but this time its 750pts with an added 50pts for again hitting our weight loss target. This will continue until we hit 2000 pts and the end of our campaign.

Basically every two weeks we get 250pts plus 50pts for weight loss or minus 50pts for weight gain.

This is as far as we have got ideas wise, so any ideas and input you guys have would be appreciated
    Last edited by Deadlift; 09-11-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

I have to say, this is a unique idea!
    I don't really know what to suggest, be like a Viking and beat all other competitors?

Good luck my friend.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

I think this is a great idea. I recently also combined fitness and 40k. I have a 2000 pt themed space marine chapter/list idea. I have none of it purchased at this current moment. I have a tiered unit idea that I can begin purchasing once i meet certain goals. My first goal is to run 3 miles in under 40 mins. It's like 4.5 mph. At that point I can start, buying and painting the troops. Then 3 miles under 36 mins, I unlock the elites. Then 3 miles @ 30 mins I unlock the fast attack slot. and so on, till I unlock my hq next year when I can finish a 10k. So far, I am at 2.5 miles at 35-40 mins. So, I am getting there. Good luck.

I dropped some major weight few years ago, by dropping the second warm meal from my daily cuisine and replaced it with a healthy rye bread+low fat cuts+salad. Plus i cut down on those "few beers occasionally" and stopped eating candy. You can have one "candy day" in a week, but dont go crazy. I used it for popcorn and Diet Pepsi in a movies for example. This worked for me, but combine that with some exercise and drink a lot of water (but not before weighing ) and the weight should start to drop FAST...

Veteran-Sergeant

Are you still powerlifting mate? (I am guessing you must be or have been a powerlifter by your handle). If you are then your weight may not neccesarily be unhealthy weight, and it will seriously affect the weights you are shifting if you do go ahead and shift the pounds. I am just a shade under 13 stone, which for my my height (5' 8") is technically overweight - I was around 11.5 stone when I started lifting about 5 years ago, but I have put this weight on gradually as lean muscle, I am avowed drug free and dont consider myself to be unhealthy - although with a 34 waist and 26'' thighs, I do struggle to get jeans that fit me properly I am guessing you are probably aware of all this and it is a lifestyle decision that you have made, in any case good luck with it and stay disciplined
    Last edited by Lukas The Trickster; 09-11-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Chapter-Master

so thats losing 10% of your total body weight! wow thats really good! and your sort of 'reward scheme' sounds like a great plan.

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Librarian

buy a box of models for every half stone you loose. Or get your significant other to buy an army and then she gives you a box to make every time you loose a certain amount.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas The Trickster View Post
    Are you still powerlifting mate? (I am guessing you are a powerlifter by your handle). If you are then your weight may not neccesarily be unhealthy weight. I am just a shade under 13 stone, which for my my height (5' 8") is technically overweight - I was around 11.5 stone when I started lifting about 5 years ago, but I have put this weight on gradually as lean muscle, I am avowed drug free and dont consider myself to be unhealthy - although with a 34 waist and 26'' thighs, I do struggle to get jeans that fit me properly I am guessing you are probably aware of all this and it is a lifestyle decision that you have made, in any case good luck with it and stay disciplined
    Yeah still lifting, most of my weight is function able lol, but lean I am not. I used to get away with eating pretty much what I wanted as long as I got in my protein. My idea of healthy eating was 4 big macs and throwing the buns away
    It's catching up now though. I clock in at around 18 stone. My waist was 36 inches 7 years ago. 42 now. Never really bothered me until I realised the creeping effect it had.
    My struggle will be getting the protein in and keeping energy levels up. Looking at trying a ketogenic diet. Any who I have a few larger lifting buddies who are struggling with high blood pressure and cholesterol. What with Clark Duncan's death recently. Well it spooked me. I have 2 young kids and it's great being big daddy, but not dad daddy.
    On the hobby front though it's also a great incentive to get models done in time too plus with Orksbthe extra 50pts can actually mean quite a lot of extra stuff.

Chapter-Master

I can't tell you categorically, what will work for you. But as a 33yo with shagged kness, back off physio to running 4-5 miles 3 times a week, I can tell you what worked for me. Firstly the best way to melt fat is cardio exercise. Don't listen to any rubbish about fat burning at 65% effort or any gash like that. Max out is max results. I recommend an interval training programme - google Robert Ullreys and/or 'Couch to 5km'. This is a running programme for your MP3 which literally takes you from nothing to 5k in 30 minutes. Running costs you nothing. If you have leg/knee probs, go for non-impact - buy a bike or go swimming.

Next, weight loss through eating. Actually if you do enough phys you can eat drink and smoke whatever you like. I know people (in the military) who treat their bodies like absolute dustbins but are still fit enough to cut around 50 degree Afghan heat in 40kg of body armour and kit. If you do the phys you can pretty much crack on.

However, I was wanting something beyond this, and joined the memsahib on weigh****chers. Not the meetings, the internet tool. Easy to use, quite a man-sympathetic tool - you earn points for phys, enter stuff, it can be almost addictive. Simply by sticking to my points (49 per day start, with a 49 weekly allowance on top for 'treats' and earning say 10 points for 45 minutes running) I lost 2.5 stone in 16 weeks. So stick to it, be disciplined and eat sensibly, or up your phys regularity.

The incentives you have given sound good ideas but without actual phys or dietary changes I'm not sure how effective I would find them personally...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post

The incentives you have given sound good ideas but without actual phys or dietary changes I'm not sure how effective I would find them personally...
    Admittedly I do no cardio at all ATM, never did. All gym time was deads, squats, bench and power cleans. That's it. Low reps high weight too

WW and jogging I have considered. I would have to join a club though. Just to be made to feel guilty if I don't lose the poundage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast