BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default How much 'GrimDark' is to much?

So you guys know that I am looking for some models for my friend to add some 'juves' in is army. This has got him some ribbing on some other sites, but nothing bad.

So the question is: How far can one go before the invisible line is crossed?

Your thoughts?

Chapter-Master

in the newer 'cheerier fluff' that would be too much but frankly as long as the minis look good and arnt too graphic there should be no problem! remember GW used to have a SOB codex on the self, and that book was awfully grimdark :P and also befor the website update i remember a showcase of a IH dread thats front opened up to show the'pilot' inside :P eww

so if it looks good and isnt overly disturbing why not
    -fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chaplain

Truthfully, who cares. Your army is yours to create, if you want to cross some 'line' then go ahead. I'd fight an army regardless of it's intent and what the message behind it is, if it's to much to handle I can easily choose not to play it. Hell, half the Imperial stuff in the artwork has a lot of imagery reminiscent of the Third Reich and of course the Romans. Actually when I first got my army my dad asked my why I was painting futuristic Third Reich women (apparently the word for them is banned), and it was kinda hard to deny it. As long as the owners not doing it to intentionally bother or make crude comments then it should be alright.
    Last edited by doom-kitten; 09-13-2012 at 03:38 AM.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Chapter-Master

New cheerier fluff? O_o

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

What is the invisible line? Am I missing something? Is there a Hitelrjugend type joke about juves or is it a joke about kiddy fiddling?

I admit I don't get either, but neither subject is particularly grimdark - when lined up against intergalactic xenocide...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

To be fair I think I missed it too.

Prior to the current Imp Guard codex, Cadian "Conscripts" were child soldiers (Whiteshields), soooo there's precedent.

The typical grimdarkness - intergalatic xenocide, eating 1000s of psykers, is all pretty safely sci-fi. If you bring close parallels for real world tragedies into it (like child soldiers), those close to the issue will likely be hurt/offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    What is the invisible line? Am I missing something? Is there a Hitelrjugend type joke about juves or is it a joke about kiddy fiddling?

I admit I don't get either, but neither subject is particularly grimdark - when lined up against intergalactic xenocide...
    Because it is all fun and games in till someone thinks your army is crossing the line.

The local GW store once had some passer by complain about how racist the Tallarn army a player was using was... I guess it comes down to what you are sensitive about.

Chapter-Master

I honestly think this is one of those "there's no accounting for taste" situations. You can always offend someone. Do your best to figure out where your line is and then act accordingly - but be prepared to listen to someone else's complaints. Keep an open mind and be willing to change it if someone gets hurt. That's really all you can ever do.

That said, I don't think I'd be offended by someone who had child soldiers in his Imperial Guard army. It's a little bit raw, sure, but this is a dark setting, and this is the sort of thing that happens here.

I suppose a lot of my opinion would also depend on exactly how it was done. Are you creating a few soliders - or perhaps a squad or two - of young-looking soldiers holding guns and trying to look brave? That's not a big deal. Are you greenstuffing footy pyjamas and bloodstained teddy bears onto your troops? Are you painting them to look like they're young teenagers who have wet themselves in terror? That would be too much.

Chapter-Master

The most important thing is to remember how you offended, so you can do it again...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast