BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

[URL="http://grimdark.com/"]This is prerfect level of grimdark for any occasion.[/URL]

Seriously, space marines "recruit" kids at the age of ten for the "honor" of having foreign organs implanted in their bodies, which might kill them from tissue rejection, so they can participate in live-fire training, so they can be used as commandos at fifteen, so they can be initiated into an organization that they can't quit without being branded a heretic - all before their brains are even fully myelinated. And that isn't even old fluff.

Sorry your friend's catching flak for child soldiers, but I agree that's an individual taste thing.

Veteran-Sergeant

At the end of the day everyone can be offended in some way and to try and make a fully P.C army would be impossable make your army how you want and if someone gets offended tough s**t for them if they are childish enough to be offended by a collection of plastic and metal figuers then why would you care what they thought anyway.

If someone complains about the inclusion of child soldiers in an army, double back and ask them why they are offended by it. It is a reality of war, and just because it bursts someone's bubble and reminds them of the horrifying nature of war I don't see why you should have to apologise for them being too sensitive.

I agree with Electric Paladin that it does depend on how you handle it, if they're included purely for comedy or to be offensive, then that's asking for trouble, but if they're there for variety and to add depth to your armies background, then that's fine. And if someone brings it up, then that's drawing attention to a real life issue and getting people talking about it can only be a good thing, right?
    "Paws off ma cheeze!"

Brother-Sergeant

Personally I don't think you should give an inch to the "professionally offended" whenever they stick their spuriously motivated heads into other people's business, no matter what the occasion.

You make your army the way you want it. It's your money and you're spending it for your own satisfaction, not to cow-tow to someone else's ideas of right and wrong or taste. They don't like it? Offer them some tissues as the world is going to be a rough ride for them if they find how you painted your miniatures upsetting.

No matter what you do anymore, you are bound to tweek someones nose. In the world in which we live there are people who riot, kill, and want to start wars over cartoons , movies, religious beliefs, and anything else that gives them an excuse to run amok. Now we get to the meat of the issue. Did you earn the money to buy your chosen models? Yes. Do you have the right of ownership of said models? Yes. As you have purchased, and now own said models, do you have the right of creative expression, to do with said models as you see fit? YES!!!! YOU have the RIGHT to do with your models whatever you desire. If people are offended, listen to their reasons, and calmly let them know your views, of why you created them in the way you have. Remember, this is a game, and hobby for enjoyment, and creativity. In the many years, I have been collecting nad painting models, I have never run across someone who goes out of their way to make a political with toys, on a game board. Not to say someone like that isn't out, there, I just haven't run into them. My two cents. For what it's worth.

Don't back down because of someone elses ideas of YOUR army.

Just because mothers cover their childrens eyes when they look at my friend and I's custom armies, doesn't mean there is anything WRONG with them!

Battle-Brother

Might be an idea to run your ideas past the store manager where you play 1st, I agree you should do what you wish with your army, but imagine all that effort and then the manager says, no you can't use that army here.
    If he gives your idea the green light, go for whatever floats your boat.
    "It is better to die for the emperor than live for yourself."

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Because it is all fun and games in till someone thinks your army is crossing the line.

The local GW store once had some passer by complain about how racist the Tallarn army a player was using was... I guess it comes down to what you are sensitive about.
    I am waiting to have someone pissed off i have the Iron Cross on all my guard tanks....... Some people think its racist but in reality it just shows that they don't know there history (And looks cool with death korps of krieg) All in all though its your army who cares if you offend someone?

Chapter-Master

GW wrote books and produced models for the Last Chancers which included serial killers. Short of child abuse, I'm not sure there are any crimes worse than that. Lets remember that for all it is marketed at children, the minimum recommended age is 14 years and up for GW games, because they deal with adult themes. Anyone not able to separate adult themes in a fantasy/sci-fi setting from real life is not someone you want to waste your time talking to.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast