BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default New White Dwarf Direction

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=4200016-gws[/url]

In just over a week's time the pages of White Dwarf will change forever. Miniatures will be shown in a new light, battle reports will be reborn and new articles will be read for the first time. Even the classic logo that sat at the head of the magazine for the last 20 years will disappear into the Hall of Legends.

On September 22nd 2012, White Dwarf will be reborn; bigger, better and more exciting than ever before.

As news goes, that's pretty exciting stuff, I think you'll agree. For the last half-year a crack team of designers have been pulling White Dwarf apart at the seams, re-forging it into something incredibly exciting. Everything is new, nothing's the same. Even the paper is a higher quality, that's the degree to which the magazine has changed.

Of course a new magazine needs a new team to work on it and so, without further ado, here's the new White Dwarf team:

From left to right we have:

Dan Harden (that's me, just in case you didn't know) - Staff Writer
    Erik Niemz - Photographer
    Matthew Hutson - Lead Designer
    Beth Beynon-Hughes - Digital Editor
    Andrew Kenrick - Deputy Editor
    Kris Shield - Designer
    Glenn More - Photo Editor
    Jes Bickham - Editor
    Adam Troke - Senior Staff Writer

Some of these names you'll recognise. Matt, Kris and Andrew have been working on White Dwarf for several years now. In fact, Matt has been working on it almost as long as White Dwarf has been around (OK, so that's a slight exaggeration, but he has been around for quite some time). Adam and Glenn have moved into White Dwarf from games development and book production respectively, while Beth and Erik are both new to Games Workshop. And last, but certainly not least, we also have a new White Dwarf editor, and the latest scion of Grombrindal himself, Jes Bickham. While this is his first time working on White Dwarf, Jes has worked at Games Workshop before as the editor of Battle Games of Middle-earth, back when The Lord of the Rings first appeared in cinemas and hair was more plentiful.
    They're also changing the GW blog to "White Dwarf Daily"

UPDATED - Additional Info from Faeit

white dwarf is getting a face lift
    numbers are here to stay, month is also on it "November (#XXX)"
    They are higher quality paper
    Picture heavy with lots of hobby articles (things like masterclass from forgeworld and the 'eavy metal team, tactica, battle reports, and developer diaries where they talk about why they made certain decisions)
    Will still preview new models, but you won't see them 2-3 times in the same issue

I should add that the current white dwarf team has been disseminated into the ranks and a new, separate office (but not a third party) has taken over white dwarf.

This new office fueled by a former magazine and blog publishing company that has had the fleshy bits replaced with model enthusiasts. This is now a magazine filled with hobbiests, not hobbiests trying to publish a magazine.
    Last edited by DrLove42; 09-13-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Let's hope bigger and better translates into more hobby content. Please do this right GW.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

What's going on? I can't view GW at work.
    Why all the typos?
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Someone was jabbing me with a pencil as I typed.

Also its not called White Dwarf anymore. it is now White Drarf.

To copy and pasta
    In just over a week's time the pages of White Dwarf will change forever. Miniatures will be shown in a new light, battle reports will be reborn and new articles will be read for the first time. Even the classic logo that sat at the head of the magazine for the last 20 years will disappear into the Hall of Legends.

On September 22nd 2012, White Dwarf will be reborn; bigger, better and more exciting than ever before.

As news goes, that's pretty exciting stuff, I think you'll agree. For the last half-year a crack team of designers have been pulling White Dwarf apart at the seams, re-forging it into something incredibly exciting. Everything is new, nothing's the same. Even the paper is a higher quality, that's the degree to which the magazine has changed.

Of course a new magazine needs a new team to work on it and so, without further ado, here's the new White Dwarf team:

From left to right we have:

Dan Harden (that's me, just in case you didn't know) - Staff Writer
    Erik Niemz - Photographer
    Matthew Hutson - Lead Designer
    Beth Beynon-Hughes - Digital Editor
    Andrew Kenrick - Deputy Editor
    Kris Shield - Designer
    Glenn More - Photo Editor
    Jes Bickham - Editor
    Adam Troke - Senior Staff Writer

Some of these names you'll recognise. Matt, Kris and Andrew have been working on White Dwarf for several years now. In fact, Matt has been working on it almost as long as White Dwarf has been around (OK, so that's a slight exaggeration, but he has been around for quite some time). Adam and Glenn have moved into White Dwarf from games development and book production respectively, while Beth and Erik are both new to Games Workshop. And last, but certainly not least, we also have a new White Dwarf editor, and the latest scion of Grombrindal himself, Jes Bickham. While this is his first time working on White Dwarf, Jes has worked at Games Workshop before as the editor of Battle Games of Middle-earth, back when The Lord of the Rings first appeared in cinemas and hair was more plentiful.
    They're also changing the GW blog to "White Dwarf Daily"

Well just have to wait till 22nd to see how it looks!

Chapter-Master

change of logo? sounds like someone has been over zealous. also, I see no fat bloke in that picture, and I do see some twelve year olds. are battle reports going to be in crayon?

I do look forward to seeing what they do with it though, I wonder if the price will change
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Someone on Facebook has pointed out the job role of "Digital Editor". Will we be getting digital copies?

Only for iOS obviously...

WHY CHANGE LOGO?! LOGO GREAT! RAARGH.

*ahem*

I like the logo.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

Well yay! I look forward to a new White Dwarf that is more interesting. And I hope the first issue does Chaos proud!

Quote Originally Posted by celestialatc View Post
    Well yay! I look forward to a new White Dwarf that is more interesting. And I hope the first issue does Chaos proud!
    Unlikely. Last month's inside back cover was a Dark Angel, suggesting it's not Chaos this month.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    WHY CHANGE LOGO?! LOGO GREAT! RAARGH.

*ahem*

I like the logo.
    Surely it doesn't have enough Eldar in it?
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast