BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default Creating Verdigris with the New Paints

I've decided to try to get a verdigris effect on the prow and guns of my Battlefleet Gothic Imperial fleet. However, the only guideline I've got so far is from White Dwarf 383, which still uses the old paints. I'd like some advice converting this procedure to the new paints.

Here is the process (paraphrased):

1. Undercoat of Chaos Black
    2. Basecoat Tin Bitz
    3. Drybrush with Shining Gold (with a more liberal layer on raised details)
    4. Drybrush with Burnished Gold
    5. Light drybrush of Mithril Silver
    6. Apply a liberal layer of a 1:1 mix of Hawk Turquoise and Dark Angels Green, then wipe it off (I guess this gives the same effect as a wash, though it seems needlessly complicated to me...).
    7. Reapply Mithril Silver drybrush.

So, I have two questions:
    1) What new paints should use in place of these old paints?
    2) Are there any other changes to the process that I should use to account for the differing qualities of the new paints?
    3) In your opinion, what color would work well with this for the body of the ships? I was thinking of a dark green, with red spot-coloring on the icons, the tips of weapons, and the engines, but I want more opinions from my fellow painters.

Thanks in advance.

Chapter-Master

You cuold use the conversion chart. ([url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat730002a&categoryId=6800002a&s ection=&aId=21600002a[/url])

What confuses me is these instructions. Step 2-5 are to produce a high shining polished gold effect. Verdgris really only forms on bronze, and then only on oxidised areas.

Best thing to do is get a good bronze.

I recommend (with new names and old) Tin Bitz, then Dwaven Bronze, then a Devlan Mud wash, then highlight in Bronze and a tiny Mithril. (Or new paints Brass Scorpion, Agraxax Earth Wash, Hashut Copper Highlight).

Then you need to get the Verdgris. Look at oxidised roofs for the idea. failing that, the Statue of Liberty (random fact - theres an original piece of lady liberty in the National Archives in Washington, next to the Delaration of independance. Keep in an oxygen free environment, its never oxidised. She used to be a really nice copper)

Then the choice is how oxidised. just in the cracks or heavily on. Try Kabalite Green or Temple Guard blue, watered down fed into the cracks. Maybe a green wash to help it.

There used to be an article in WD and on GW.com when the Skaven bells came out, but obviously its not there now that they want everyone to buy all download books
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Sotek Green is a nice turquoise colour that I make into a wash to use on my Minotaur Space Maries, Warplock bronze, then dwarf bronze (whatever that is now) , a wash of sotek green in the recesses, then clean that up with bronze again, working up to brass and then mithiril for the extreme highlight, although I have been trying VMC Metalic medium for the hightlight this week, its very shiny!

Iron Father

Alternative to paint is a technique I have been trying. I use on of the brighter turquoise weathering pigments from secret weapon. I then thin it very liberally with isopropanol alcohol. What happens is the alcohol evaporates leaving behind the pigment. But because of the evaporation and capillary action of the alcohol around the areas your using it on it blends nicely too.
    I am working on an Iron warriors model which I can provide pics of if you wish. I am at work so unable to at the moment.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    I am working on an Iron warriors model which I can provide pics of if you wish. I am at work so unable to at the moment.
    Please feel free to post pics later - I'd love that.

Chapter-Master

Here's a second question, and this one is a matter of taste...

What do you think would look best?

I'm clear that I want the verdigris look on some parts, but what about the rest of the ships? Right now, my thoughts are:

1) Verdigris on the prow and other flat areas, dark green (with brighter green highlights and bright red spot-colors) on the body of the ship.

2) Verdigris on the prow and other flat area, with some other color on the rest of the ship, and a complimentary spot color here and there.

3) Verdigris on the entire ship! Bright red spot colors elsewhere.

Which do you think would look coolest?

Iron Father

Little is more in my book. Go subtle to begin with. Option 2
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

I don't think the corrosion from verdigris happens in a vacuum...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.