BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caliban's End

Post Caliban's End

Hello,

Having done a bit of research and not coming up with the relevant answers, does anyone know what brought about the end of Caliban itself (the planet). I know that there was a big showdown between the Lion and Luther but how come the planet disintergrated/blow apart?

Also has the direct aftermath of the destruction of Caliban and restructuring of the DA been discussed in any BL books?

********Possible Spoilers************

I know that in Fallen angels Chapter Master Astellan is the same Astellan in the ( I think) Descent of Angels/Angels of Darkness (can't remember which) and this sheds some more light on the run up to the final moments of Caliban but not the aftermath itself.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Chapter-Master

I think it was a combination of orbital bombardment and a warp rift type thing ripping the planet apart.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Veteran-Sergeant

In Ascension of Balthasar it makes mention that the Chaos Gods got the hump when Luther had a bawl after smacking the Lion about so decided to hit the planet with a big dose of warp energies...

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I think it was a combination of orbital bombardment and a warp rift type thing ripping the planet apart.
    Not to mention having a pretty powerful Chaos gribbly bound to the planet. I'm sure his release from a fracturing planet was anything but calm

Quote Originally Posted by Absolon View Post
    Not to mention having a pretty powerful Chaos gribbly bound to the planet. I'm sure his release from a fracturing planet was anything but calm
    DO you know where the "Gribbly" (excellent name for a warp-thing) is mentioned? What about the actual return of the legion to Caliban, were they called back by Luther or just planned to return?

Also I cannot find anything thing mentioned about the reformation of the DA after Caliban's destruction. I.E. Was the Ravenwing always the second company or chapter during the Great Crusade? Ditto for the Deathwing?

Brother-Sergeant

Ouroboros is mentioned in Fallen Angels as Luther tries to bind him.
    After the battle of Terra the Lion chooses to return homeafter being gone for many years
    The Ravenwing was part of the order before the 1st Legion's coming to Caliban. The Deathwing orgins have not been confirmed as part of the Order or Legion as there starting point

Librarian

TBH i think the recent introduction of t'chulka has more to do with the demise of caliban than any innate warp entity. from 'the lion' it appears the warp engine t'chulka (as it seems to be sentient, even beyond simple servitor control), has some sort of crush on the lion and will do as he wished. (i dont want to spoil the book so will say no more)

ouroboros may have simply been a term for 'chaos' just as primordial annhialator and the great ocean. it is a fitting term for the warp and its residents both.

Brother-Captain

Did they retcon the origin of the Deathwing? The old fluff had them as a post Second Founding institution.

Quote Originally Posted by bfmusashi View Post
    Did they retcon the origin of the Deathwing? The old fluff had them as a post Second Founding institution.
    No they haven't retcon it. The last codex still refers to the 1st company squad who cleared an entire planet (their home world) and painted their armour in their people's native battle colours.

Librarian

but the story of [URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Two_Heads_Talking#.UHNmB1HJZes"]two heads talking [/URL] can easily be referred to as a screening test hidden in a cautionary tale, in order to weed out corruption or taint/weakness in the warriors.
    the title of the story is also telling in that it implies a two faced nature (two heads talking/two faced/multi faceted truth) which given the events of the HH and the subsequent secrecy of the DA. we can not blanket statement the tale as literal as it could easily be the fallen are represented as the genestalers.

still though two heads talking is a great read, especially the fight in the street with the magus/patriarch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast