BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Looking for Inquisitorial Storm Trooper advice.

I'm looking at adding a few units of ISTs to my army, now that I've played a few small point games with just Grey Knights (first games since '97). The game mechanic has changed tremendously since I played with any regularity. I was wondering if I could get some advice on what you would do in my situation. Rhinos and more ISTs, or Chimeras and fewer troops.

I could take a rhino with extra armor and 8 ISTs, giving them two meltaguns (or one melta, one plasma) for 155 pts, or a Chimera with HF, hull HB and 5 ISTs with two meltas for the same points. Which would you do? I'm looking to run two or three identical units.

Thanks,
    Tom

Brother-Captain

Meltas work best, good to fill the gaps in GK armies. Rhino vs. Chimera is a personal pick, I like the Chimera for extra guns but Rhinos are cheaper.

Abbess Sanctorum

IMO, unless you're taking small squads and plasma spamming, inquisitorial stormies are worthless. You'd seriously be better off getting Sisters for the same purpose-- they cost one point more per model but have a much better equipment list and ruleset (bolters, power armor, better leadership rules, acts of faith).

edit: And yeah, you can do just that. You can include up to two Battle Sister Squads in your CH army according to the allies rules. You'll still want to have a couple troops choices from CH because of how the rules work, but it's better two GK squads and two Sisters squads than four stormy squads :P
    Last edited by Melissia; 10-05-2009 at 07:13 AM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Its personal taste and fluff. Two models can shoot out of a Rhino keeping your ISTs nice and safe. Can Inquisitorial Chimeras do the same (I am not sure if they can)?

I could take a rhino with extra armor and 8 ISTs, giving them two meltaguns (or one melta, one plasma) for 155 pts, or a Chimera with HF, hull HB and 5 ISTs with two meltas for the same points. Which would you do? I'm looking to run two or three identical units.
    I'd take the Chimeras. The meltaguns are the squad's real firepower so as long as you have them your squad is fine, and the Chimera is pretty useful given it's superior firepower. A Chimera heavy flamer and a pair of meltaguns inside gives you a versatile and potent mix of shooting to help out your Grey Knights in lots of situations, although I'd keep the multilaser personally and use the heavy flamer on the hull.

Codex Imperial Guard does it better with Veterans and cheaper Chimeras, but I think two or three IST squads with meltaguns in a HF Chimera will serve you well.

The Inquisition Chimera has two fire points.
    Last edited by Mudkip; 10-05-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Javin View Post
    Its personal taste and fluff. Two models can shoot out of a Rhino keeping your ISTs nice and safe. Can Inquisitorial Chimeras do the same (I am not sure if they can)?
    Both =I= books were written when rhinos had 1 fire point fyi

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    IMO, unless you're taking small squads and plasma spamming, inquisitorial stormies are worthless. You'd seriously be better off getting Sisters for the same purpose-- they cost one point more per model but have a much better equipment list and ruleset (bolters, power armor, better leadership rules, acts of faith).
    I've given a lot of thought to sisters instead of ISTs, and I probably will get a couple of squads. My initial goal is a somewhat fluffy Deamonhunters army - After I get rolling with 1500 on that one, it'll be time to branch out.

Chapter-Master

Default personal taste

I'm going to test out this
    5 storms
    2flamers

chimera
    2 H-flamers
    =
    5 flamer templates

burnin' happily

Fuzzbuket
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by A HUGE BLUNT View Post
    Both =I= books were written when rhinos had 1 fire point fyi
    There was a WD article that stated Sisters are supposed to be able to be like Marines, firing two out of a Rhino fire point at a time.

It was a long time ago though...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chapter-Master

Sisters trump stormtroopers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast