BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default GW losing tables

I knmow this is an akward first post and this may not be the right place for it if not mods can of course move it. This is more or less a concern I have concerning games workshop. I got into the hobby a couple days after the newest rules came out. Me being a social and creative person loved the idea behind this hobby. So i went to a store near by my place that sells warhammer i dropped about $300 on chaos space marines got them built got them and was trying to get painting ideas so, i thought hey why not go to my local games workshop. I go in talk to the staff about a paint scheme i decide to go with night lords. After talking to the staff for a while I ask when I can come in and play a game. They tell me that they are no longer having gaming in the store and try to convince me to buy a table and like their facebook page to find a gaming group. I was curious as to why this was happening cuz i thought the whole idea was go to gw they will teach u how to build paint and play then from there u can advance your hobby.

So I go onto their facebook page and i see this

Also, for those of you who haven't heard yet, we'll be c
    onverting the gaming tables in the shop over to display tables for each of the games. I know some people will be sad to see the tables though but the new look will help us introduce more
    hobbyists to our games and grow the community overall! If you want to get one last game in be sure to come in this weekend as we'll be changing the table over on Monday.

We'll still have the 4x4 table set up so we can teach beginners though, so if you're interested in learning to play we'll be more than happy to teach you!

.Are all Games workshops doing this and geting rid of their tables or just this one in particular.
    heres the link to their page so you can check it out

[url]http://www.facebook.com/GWSquareOne?ref=hl[/url]

Huh, that seems counter-intuitive. Not sure if it's a global thing; maybe some stores are doing it as an experiment?

I guess if they want to focus on advertisement to potential newbies, some diorama-tables wouldn't hurt.

Either misinterpretation or a local anomaly.

My local GW is adding a table once their refit is done.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Either misinterpretation or a local anomaly.

My local GW is adding a table once their refit is done.
    Local thing is the best bet. But this sad, there is a great community at my local store and it's something I think gw should put a greater focus on.

First-Captain

A lot of stores are going this way. The store in Torquay UK almost did. In fact I got banned the day a new manager turned up and annnounced no gaming on saturdays. I wasn't going to take the stopping of gaming on the only day I could come lightly.
    For the Greater good.

Occuli Imperator

My local one, Birmingham, has recently (with 5 years) moved to a larger location so that they can have more gaming tables...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Iron Father

You got banned ?
    I must admit I don't know the current manager as well as the previous guys. But seriously what did you do to get banned. Torquays manager seems an ok chap. You must have really pissed him off.

I can understand why they would stop gaming in some stores though during opening hours. Talking about Torquay, it's a very small shop and you just know parents treat the place as a youth drop off centre on a Saturday. How many of those kids actually buy anything ? Week in week out ?

They run gaming evenings in most stores, I say fine restrict the gaming until then so the store stops being over run with kids who are simple there to be baby sat.

These places are "shops" and not a crèche. If the manager wants to allow people to use the tables then fine. But a booking system would solve the hordes of kids who just hang around getting in the way and preventing real customers from doing their shopping.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 09-17-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    A lot of stores are going this way. The store in Torquay UK almost did. In fact I got banned the day a new manager turned up and annnounced no gaming on saturdays. I wasn't going to take the stopping of gaming on the only day I could come lightly.
    How'd that work out for you then champ?

obviously they are still keeping the tables, they are just not allowing pick up games on them. they will be for advertising product with display armies and doing the same thing they always do with them which is teach people how the game works. normal gamers just wont be able to come into the store and use them for games.

it would lead me to also believe they will have open nights for games and what not. which they do in Canberra Australia and battle bunker sydney.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by jc122889 View Post
    I knmow this is an akward first post and this may not be the right place for it if not mods can of course move it. This is more or less a concern I have concerning games workshop. I got into the hobby a couple days after the newest rules came out. Me being a social and creative person loved the idea behind this hobby. So i went to a store near by my place that sells warhammer i dropped about $300 on chaos space marines got them built got them and was trying to get painting ideas so, i thought hey why not go to my local games workshop. I go in talk to the staff about a paint scheme i decide to go with night lords. After talking to the staff for a while I ask when I can come in and play a game. They tell me that they are no longer having gaming in the store and try to convince me to buy a table and like their facebook page to find a gaming group. I was curious as to why this was happening cuz i thought the whole idea was go to gw they will teach u how to build paint and play then from there u can advance your hobby.

So I go onto their facebook page and i see this

Also, for those of you who haven't heard yet, we'll be c
    onverting the gaming tables in the shop over to display tables for each of the games. I know some people will be sad to see the tables though but the new look will help us introduce more
    hobbyists to our games and grow the community overall! If you want to get one last game in be sure to come in this weekend as we'll be changing the table over on Monday.

We'll still have the 4x4 table set up so we can teach beginners though, so if you're interested in learning to play we'll be more than happy to teach you!

.Are all Games workshops doing this and geting rid of their tables or just this one in particular.
    heres the link to their page so you can check it out

[url]http://www.facebook.com/GWSquareOne?ref=hl[/url]
    I would recommend stopping by X Planet Games. It's not too far off from Square One, at Burnhamthorpe and Tomken (east of Sq. 1). Check out their Facebook page: [url]https://www.facebook.com/XPlanetGames[/url]

They have a dedicated basement with plenty of tables that can accommodate small tournaments. Check them out.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast