BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Epic anyone?

Default Epic anyone?

I was digging through some old boxes in my folks loft and came across some old (circa 1992) Games Workshop carry cases. Inside were 2 entire epic armies of Space Marines and Eldar, with 3 imperial Titans and 1 Eldar one. I also found my entire Skaven blood bowl team, but it was the Epic stuff that really got me going. 40K is great, but I really loved the sheer scale of Epic, my local gaming club ran an Apoc weekend recently and carting all the gear back and forth took longer than the game (Almost). I've seen the Epic stuff on GWs website and on Forge Worlds, but it seems limited and almost forgotten about. Does anyone here still play it or know of places you can get stuff still for it?

Veteran-Sergeant

I have always wanted to get into epic, especially when I saw my friends epic Tau, but by the time I discovered it, Forgeworld had discontinued the tau and the multi piece space marines. I just can't see myself justifying buying the old models, they just don't look that good.

I have always wanted to buy it too to play apocalypse at epic scale, it would allow me to play huge games without having to be monitarily dedicated, collecting and painting epic is way easier than buying and painting the alternative.

Dang it all, finding out awesome stuff too late!

(Goes back to painting his meager Crimson Fist army...slowly)

Chaplain

When Epic 40,000 was released I bought the starter box and started playing regularly. I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately there wasn't much of a following and the local group eventually stopped playing altogether. I then sold off my stuff.

On topic... I have not heard a peep about anyone playing Epic since the days of Epic 40,000. From what I understand GW all but killed the game when they discontinued support for Epic 40,000.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

I straight loved the Titan Legions version of Epic. Nothing in my gaming experience has ever compared to my friend destroying my Emperor Titan in one shot with a Warp Missile.

Chapter-Master

Yep, i love epic - me and my gaming group used to play War In Heaven era Epic battles, with litterally thousands of troops and massive titans, it was awesome! I had WiH era Necron and Enslaver armies, while my buddies played Old ones, Eldar and orks.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Love Epic: Armageddon but I haven't done anything with it lately. When I started way back when, I didn't know anything other than 40K and WHFB, and what I took as sheer abstraction and simplicity put me off - along with a lot of Epic 40,000 players, I gather. Then I started to appreciate how the simple rules (with a bit of good writing from Mr. Johnson, of course) translated into a pretty deep, tactical game. Roll those scouts up. Go on overwatch. Block the enemy advance with your ZoC. Tie 'em up with a few blast markers. Sneak those fast units behind. Get the crossfire.

Plus, TITANS.

If you're interested, get thee to the [url=http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/index.php]Tactical Command[/url] forums. They're the unofficial keepers of the E:A Living Rule Book, and IIRC they have a bit to do with NetEpic too - the online fan version of Epic 40,000 that started up when that edition 'officially' died. You'll find a bunch of army lists, unofficial supplements, and plenty of people to point you towards proxy minis. Tell Otterman Vermis sent you...
    Last edited by Vermis; 09-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    www.minisculpture.co.uk - where tiny fighting men are born.

We use to game this a lot back before GW killed it.

We would have 25,000 points per side and me being a smart Eldar player would buy the pilot upgrades for my Eldar Titans.

Had a game where I had four Eldar Titans and the guy to my right also had four Eldar Titans after the first turn he had none left while I had all four with one having a crack Reactor.

I still go onto Ebay from time to time and get lucky on an auction.

I have Eldar, Space Marines, Squats, Orks & Imperial Guard armies.

But they have been in their cases for 15 years due to GW killing the game off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    But they have been in their cases for 15 years due to GW killing the game off.
    Did they kill off all your gaming buddies too?
    www.minisculpture.co.uk - where tiny fighting men are born.

Cheers Vermis, that link is exactly what I'm after :-)