BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Unfortunately Sydney is rather spread out - so someone can live in Sydney, but be a 3 hour drive (or more) away thanks to our crappy road system and complete lack of public transpot. Kinda cuts down on the options unfortunately. Also my local GW is not a bunker, so only the 3 core games can be played in store, so the game doesn't come up very often either.

I think 2nd ed. Epic is a great, easy to learn system with lots of variety. The current rules are radically different in some respects, but still a very good system.

Battle-Brother

Excellent, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the old Titan Legions / Space Marine / Epic 40K games, and it's always good news to hear that they've cleaned up the rules.

Does anyone know what changed - or is it just house cleaning?

Ah, sorta like London then, just without the ability to always get to the centre relatively quickly!

NetEpic - I believe it cleaned up 2nd edition but made one very big change which is some sort of alternating activation system to avoid the problem in large games of one side going first and killing too much of the enemy for it to be a fun game. Still its all free to download so go have a look

Im only JUST getting back into epic (2nd editiion as mentioned above) but am I not mistaken in saying that if one large army Moves first.....the 2nd then moves.....but one side dosnt shoot (killing half the other side)...they take it in turns unit by unit....titan by titan to shoot?

Am I wrong....or just missing something there?

Also as a question....is it possible to play the 2nd Ed rules....but using this 'activation system' or are they not really compatible.

Thanks for all the info btw guys....really nice to be able to discuss Epic somehere.

[url]http://www.netepic.org/EPICentre/Downloads/[/url]

Battle-Brother

There are now a quite reasonable number of Sydney players. I'm one of them.

I recommend you check out [URL="http://sites.google.com/site/sydneyepic"]the Sydney Epic Gaming Group website[/URL] and download a copy of the Epic Compendium--that's all the rules and army lists you'll need to get started in one handy PDF.

There's also a list of Sydney-based Epic players and their WargamerAU.com usernames so you can find them (and me).

If you're not comfortable writing to peeps out of the blue, though, feel free to write to me via these forums, BoLS, the WargamerAU forums, or the TacCom forums--whatever suits you best.

If the tournament scene is of interest to you, you should check out CANCON 2010. Heavy Bolter 2009 is on in November down in Melbourne, but rego for that closes in a couple of days, so you've probably missed the boat for that one.

Battle-Brother

By the way, for those of you in this thread who are not all that familiar with the 4th Ed of Epic, you might find the info and links here useful in getting up to speed:

[url]http://sites.google.com/site/sydneyepic/dashboard/about[/url]

The first couple of links in particular are the sort of high-level intro that may help.

Quote Originally Posted by vayasen View Post
    Im only JUST getting back into epic (2nd editiion as mentioned above) but am I not mistaken in saying that if one large army Moves first.....the 2nd then moves.....but one side dosnt shoot (killing half the other side)...they take it in turns unit by unit....titan by titan to shoot?

Am I wrong....or just missing something there?

Also as a question....is it possible to play the 2nd Ed rules....but using this 'activation system' or are they not really compatible.

Thanks for all the info btw guys....really nice to be able to discuss Epic somehere.
    From memory 2nd ed is Player 1 moves, Player 2 moves then alternate firing starting with first fire. Can't remember when combats are resloved!

4th (Epic A) is totally different and not, imho compatible. Both work well in their own ways, with Epic A the best for tournament play imo.

Thanks very much for the info all.

I have no realy intention to plat in tournements....just among a few friends and as you guys say im not playign the 'dumbed down' 3rd edition...I will stick with my old and loved 2nd edition rules, especially seeing as ive just outlayed a fair bit of cash on figures and more especially rulebooks and army cards.

Battle-Brother

Fair enough. To my mind, Epic:Armageddon is a superior ruleset and a quicker game, but I understand the appeal of 2nd Ed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12