BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Do Ladies Actually Prefer Eldar?

Whenever I hear female wargamers described in the context of Warhammer 40k, I always hear mention of Eldar and - to a lesser extent - Sisters of Battle. The claim seems to be that Eldar and Sisters appeal to most female gamers. The reason being that Eldar are pretty and colorful and that the Sisters are female.

Here's the thing - I have never met a single female gamer who actually prefers Eldar or Sisters. The only Sisters player I know is a dude; the only female wargamers I know prefer Orks and Tyranids.

Of course an anecdote is not data, so I'm starting a thread about it. Girls: do you actually prefer Eldar and Sisters? If you prefer Eldar, is it because they are pretty? If you prefer Sisters, is it because they are female? Or, do you prefer other armies.

Personally, I am predicting that the alleged girl gamer/Eldar and Sisters connection is entirely made up, but I'm interested to see where this informal online pole takes us.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

I assume anyone who likes Eldar does so for the same reason: They aren't big stupid dicks like everyone else in 40k, and they have awesome murder god powers and run around trolling everyone. Basically they're tall, intelligent dicks, which is generally better. I doubt it's the colours but the way in which they are cool and badass without having to be amusingly over-sized and proportioned, or just being, you know... the army.

One thing I find is that everyone likes some Eldar units, by the very nature of 'Aspect Warriors' they're all different and people like different aspects of Khaine's murder-y followers. This leads people to like many of their units but not actually start an Army due to not liking everything required of a coherent Eldar force.

Oh, and Harlequins. Harlequins are awesome.

Dark Eldar are prettier... *grumble grumble*
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    I assume anyone who likes Eldar does so for the same reason: They aren't big stupid dicks like everyone else in 40k...
    This is actually why I like Tau and why I do not like Eldar, but I guess YMMV. I also have a bad case of the Elf Rage, though, so...
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

I've only actually met a Daemons, Space Wolve/Nidz, and recently a Blood Angels female player, and I knew a girl who used to play chaos but now does other nerdy things other than 40k. No Eldar or Sisters.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

I collect tanks.

and aircraft.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Girls like slaanesh for the titties, according to the gf.

My wife showed modest interest in Sisters, but way more interest in nids (biologist that she is). The only two other female players I've known personally played Daemons.

Let's see.. my exgirlfriend liked Eldar "because they're purdddyyyy". (Copy & pasted from ancient email)
    My wife likes Orks, Chaos, and Dark Mechanicus.
    Her coworker Sof is debating between starting Grey Knights and Chaos Daemons.
    Sarah has Space Marines and WHFB Orcs. (Admittedly her SM are Hawk Lords and therefore "pretty".)
    Kym has Chaos and Orks.
    Another local girl has 'Nids.
    And my mate Elliot's missus has Space Wolves.

So no, I don't think they really like Eldar all that much more than anyone else.

It's a stupid generalisation. I know a dozen or so other female players (excluding those I know online) and Orks and Tyranids are the most popular, followed by roughly equal proportions of Space Marines, IG, Eldar and Dark Eldar.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast