BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    That reminds me I was looking for information on London Pride (the beer by Fullers) I did not appreciate what I found
    Ah that takes me back. A couple of Brighton Prides ago I (straight) was due to meet my brother (gay) and his boyfriend (surprisingly also gay) in Preston Park near the stall they were helping to run. When I sent a text to let them know I was at the entrance they said to their friends to look out for me, and having not met me they asked what I looked like.

I understand the reply was "He looks like his brother but gayer".

Sure enough I turned up wearing a tight t-shirt with an image of David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust, dyed bright red hair, pointed black shoes with big buckles and skinny leopard print jeans.

I think the biggest surprise when my brother came out was that it was him and not me...

I guess the moral of the story is that you can't judge a book by it's cover. Although I have toned down my eccentric dress-sense recently, if I still fit those jeans, comments b'damned I'd still wear them!
    "Paws off ma cheeze!"

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    My dress style is '1950s starlet' so it is very feminine and it does lead some people to make judgements about my character and intelligence but damned if I change the way I dress to placate them. Of course it helps that between my brothers and I we make up a quarter of the games club so it's hard for me to be marginalised. Plus the whole rule through fear thing I mentioned.
    I suppose I dress like I do, because people sometimes stare at me when I walk around shopping centres if I wear anything that is remotely sexy. I also feel comfortable in casual clothes, and also I hate wearing dresses and skirts. Plus at my age (mid 40's) I have no desire to dress sexy anymore.

As to using the term Lez-be-friends instead of lesbians, I did not even attempt to try it, as too many websites block certain words as a matter of practice. I know the army/defence websites did, and a lot of guys tried to look up as many sites they could to circumvent the search blocking protocols in place.

I suppose I prefer my Slaanesh army because of the whole beyond the normal sexual bounds theme of it. That and because the noise weapons from the current codex (some of which will soon be nerfed a little in the next codex) are pretty damn good even for the extra points you pay for them. Lash of submission is also good, so I wonder what they will be replacing that with. I would hate to see the Lash disappear.

I do have a sisters of battle Army, but only got into them a few years ago, after they became unpopular and a GW staff member told me not to bother collecting them as they were expensive and not a very good army. I also saw a graphic novel/comic based on a sisters convent that had been subverted by Slaanesh and attacked by the Inquisiton and one of their sisters who cold not be turned.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Chapter-Master

Hang about, are you several dozen metres in the air hanging around "testing" the network?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Librarian

No the individual antenna is turned off, so it is not live/transmitting. Usually you have another providers transmitter a meter (3 feet) from you pointing in the same direction, so you get side band signal from that. Work on Optus, and you have Vodafone or Telstra signals near you. We have rad meters and if they go off we get out of there.

The worst thing is the birds nests, and the amount of bird poop on the towers. Lots of large crane or smaller plover nests. When plovers swoop look out, their feet have large talons on them. We have to stop work during the bird mating season. I have on a few occasions (outside of bird mating season) dropped all their nests from the tower. They apparently use them only once, and build a new one next year.

If you know anything about mobile phone comms, I have been upgrading 2G and 3G systems to 4G, utilising combiners/diplexors/triplexors, installing new feeder cables replacing old antennas for new ones, installing new BTS cabinets in the hut, adding Hybrid cable runs, installing TMAs/MTAs/MHAs, and swapping out old Microwave dishes for either larger ones, or more powerful smaller ones. Between that, site deliveries of BTS cabnets, battery units, and other equipment to remote off road sites with a 2 ton (Metric ton) trailer, life on the job is very physical. I had to deliver a 120 Kg cabinet on a trolley designed for 80 Kg up 6 flights of steps with a guy who was as useless as , well I can not say anything that would not get me kicked off the site for being rude or derogatory to describe him. We eventually got the cabinet in place.

Safety is the key to my job. If it looks dangerous - weather to wet/ windy, etc. or if you only have one person to climb the tower, and one on the ground (need minimum 2 on tower and one on ground who has tower rescue and safety at heights) then you just do not climb. I have seen some roads where it was impossible to get to the site. mud that went past the axle of the car, steep mountain sides where there was no place to turn around, and so on. We had to check the sites out on foot sometimes before we took the cars up to them.

Oh and as I tell all the new people who climb with me. "I am afraid of heights", seriously though I am not afraid of heights, confined spaces. I have tickets/licenses for working in both these conditions. I learned at an early age to face my fears. Had a close call when I was young and nearly drowned. Lost my sister and neighbor in that creek.

I have had a lot of interesting things happen in my life especially while in the army. Had snakes slither over my sleeping bag, was charged (as aprt of a section of people by wild pigs, slept on the ground (in a squad unit) 250 meters from a crocodile ridden river bank, and so on. My wargaming is my relaxation, my hobby. Work is where I make the money, and test myself.

Now I am older, things just get a little harder to do, like climb 100 m towers carrying 20 Kg of equipment. We usually get the bulk of it sent up via pulley rope once I set the haul rope up.

Anyway I am just emphasizing the a-typical stereotype for the lesbian macho wargamer most people think of. But who really cares.
    Last edited by Daemonette666; 10-02-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Chapter-Master

Sounds fun, Worked cabling different equipment on a twenty metre mast before and that was fun with the sway in the wind...not my first choice of how to spend an afternoon

I don't really think of how I dress as sexy, when I think about what seems to pass for sexy I think of fake tans, bottle blonde hair and dresses that look more like t-shirts. I wear pretty dresses but when it comes down it anyone should be able to wear whatever they want without fear of censure.

When it comes to really distracting boys from their game I've found wearing pink dresses really does it more than low cut dresses (which I do not wear), for future reference.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Sexy involves stockings, suspenders, and matching bra, not orange fake tan and bleached hair with ridiculous lips...

Well drat.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Well drat.
    Other wrong opinions exist

Occuli Imperator

I dress sexy, lycra is still sexy right?
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast