BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Few points worth of noting in this kind of conversation, that apply to any general military force organisation:

1) Through the ages there has been a force to deal with the ones that wont follow the orders of the general (this could go for a very deep, multi branch example, so i leave it at that). At the modern military (in our dull world, not the awesome 40k), we have Military Police. Each nation with slightly different roles etc, but that is the force to hunt for deserters and capture them. Ofcourse in such a sivilised times they hardly act as executioners for the ones not in line, but thats not the point here - the point is that such a force outside of normal organisation (that still takes part in action at some armies) exists.

2) To have a controlling force to be effective, it needs to have atleast equal measure of force at its use.

So, these in mind. I giggled myself for the idea of planetary police force arresting Angron for example Good luck trying to do that with tear gas, batons, and water guns..

And even the imperial guard couldn't handle the legion if it was forced to be put down. Or it would cause so much damage to a sector forces that a whole segmentum could be easily crippled. ..And just how many lasgun shots (on average) you would need to kill over 100k space marines (firing and charging at you..)

So, a force that naturally is inwards attuned, stays in their own group and are fiercely loyal to their commander was created. To be out of the influence of others that could need the punishment. Also, a group ferocious and fearless enough to get the job done, and not regret it, just act as ordered..

So, when talking about 'weapons of war', we always do have safeties. Basic safety switches for guns, protocols for target acquisition, multiple launch codes from multiple persons to fire a nuclear weapon.

So, greater the potential of the weapon, greater the safety procedure. And a legion of genetically enhanced super soldiers with wargear and weaponry to destroy entire worlds, is, atleast in my books, rather grand weapon.

Heres my take, the wolves have always been the freest of the marines, They value justice, honor, and the empire. The other marines are mostly there to serve the emperor/bureaucrats. This often pits them against other marines and even the imperial guard at times in defense of the worlds of the imperium's citizens.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

Gotta be honest. You really need to read Prospero Burns and Thousand Sons before even being allowed to speculate on the Space Wolves. Then youll have the perspective you need.

www.queencityguard.com

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    Heres my take, the wolves have always been the freest of the marines, They value justice, honor, and the empire. The other marines are mostly there to serve the emperor/bureaucrats. This often pits them against other marines and even the imperial guard at times in defense of the worlds of the imperium's citizens.
    This guy has it right, and in fact basically repeated what Phil Kelly, Dan Abnett, and GW have officially stated as the proper fluff for the Wolves. They're the most independent, anti-authoritarian chapter, that's why they're always getting crossways with the Inquisition, Administratum, and all manner of Imperial beauracrats. The codex states that while they revere the Emperor, they actually revere Russ more, and they're considered borderline heretics for it (as well as their horrific gene flaw).
    Last edited by The Sovereign; 09-28-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    This guy has it right, and in fact basically repeated what Phil Kelly, Dan Abnett, and GW have officially stated as the proper fluff for the Wolves. They're the most independent, anti-authoritarian chapter, that's why they're always getting crossways with the Inquisition, Administratum, and all manner of Imperial beauracrats. The codex states that while they revere the Emperor, they actually revere Russ more, and they're considered borderline heretics for it (as well as their horrific gene flaw).
    Actually wrong, space wolves or the rout as they should be called are the most disciplined of all the chapters, that is the whole point of prospero burns, to do what they do they have to be the most restrained, that's why they are sent to do all the dirty jobs and not the world eaters or the death guard who are always willing to kill everyone or the planet because it is the easiest way, the rout are never questioned when they kill an entire planet because if they did it they needed too, where the death guard and world eaters get on trouble all the time for their excessess

Also not many of the legions understand russ and the rout hence the idea that they are wild free berserkers, it's funny that guillman does and has a high respect for russ
    Last edited by Montpup; 09-28-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Montpup View Post
    Actually wrong
    Well... no, I'm not. Actually. But you're not either.

What you're saying is another aspect of their fluff, taken from a Black Library book set in the period of the Horus Heresy, and is written from the perspective of a human, mortal remembrancer (sort of like how A Thousand Sons portrayed the Wolves from the perspective of the Thousand Sons Legion). It covers a different aspect of the chapter, and doesn't mutually exclude what I said, which was taken directly from the codex itself, and is therefore to be considered the canon, paramount fluff (i.e. the GW gospel).
    Last edited by The Sovereign; 09-29-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Well... no, I'm not. Actually. But you're not either.

What you're saying is another aspect of their fluff, taken from a Black Library book set in the period of the Horus Heresy, and is written from the perspective of a human, mortal remembrancer (sort of like how A Thousand Sons portrayed the Wolves from the perspective of the Thousand Sons Legion). It covers a different aspect of the chapter, and doesn't mutually exclude what I said, which was taken directly from the codex itself, and is therefore to be considered the canon, paramount fluff (i.e. the GW gospel).
    You sir are correct, my bad

On subject of the codex, while Phil Kelly and Matt ward my write wonderful rules, their penmanship leaves a lot to be desired,

Though remember all books are canon from codexs to the novels to forge world as it all has to go though Alan merit, so one source is never more official than another, some just have better authors than others

Perhaps they earned that honorific after dealing with the 2nd and 11th Legions and their Primarchs.
    Last edited by noahwood; 09-29-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Montpup View Post
    Actually wrong, space wolves or the rout as they should be called are the most disciplined of all the chapters, that is the whole point of prospero burns, to do what they do they have to be the most restrained, that's why they are sent to do all the dirty jobs and not the world eaters or the death guard who are always willing to kill everyone or the planet because it is the easiest way, the rout are never questioned when they kill an entire planet because if they did it they needed too, where the death guard and world eaters get on trouble all the time for their excessess

Also not many of the legions understand russ and the rout hence the idea that they are wild free berserkers, it's funny that guillman does and has a high respect for russ
    Reminded of why I hate the Space Wolves ...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    Reminded of why I hate the Space Wolves ...
    You hate them?! Noooooooo. We couldn't tell from all of the thinly veiled sarcasm earlier.

www.queencityguard.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast