BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Interesting. And, once more, proof that studded right shoulders are just as canon as left ones.

But the only really unique bit is the helmet. I may have to work out a way to convert/scratchbuild something like that.

Oh, and the cross-shaped cutouts just remind me of Black Templars. Or Grey Knights.

And, yeah, planned to be a big army. Well, maybe big by accident. Just kept choosing chapters I like. But the idea would be that no chapter can be used as an army on its own, so none would have BOTH an HQ AND 2 Troops choices.

The plan on size is that it would be a 'Zen' army. It's one with everything And multiple choices of anything a) I like or b) is common according to the Codex.

Librarian

it is mentioned in 'know no fear' the name of the suit, but i cant remember off the top of my head what it is LOL but it mentions that only the SMurfs have it.

Those pictures look mostly like Mk V armor with a variant helmet(by the prevalence of studded sections), one could assume that individual chapters experimented with variant components to add additional protection to what was considered a weaker variant of the armor.

As far as why all those random remnants are fighting together, there is plenty of precedent in 40K for odd formations of marines. Perhaps they were survivors of marine companies that fought a particular campaign on a planet, and they were organized into a crusade of sorts to hunt down the Ork Warlord/Chaos Lord/Daemon Prince/Archon/etc that was responsible for the battle and avenge their Brothers and Chapters' Honor. Maybe Exterminatus was ordered on the planet by the Inquisition, and where it has been known for marines to be not permitted to return to their chapters after witnessing Inquisition methods at their worst, an Inquisitor has turned them into a seperate force that is no longer in contact with their chapters. Also, there have been mentions in the Codex that in particular, the Novamarines, no longer fight as a chapter, but doesn't explain what that means.

Oooo, magickbk's comment reminded me of this; [URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ultramarines_Honour_Company#.UGYMYPlERxs"]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ultramarines_Honour_Company#.UGYMYPlERxs[/URL]

A Company near the Eye of Terror composed entirely of Ultramarines descendants - sounds perfect.

"Mk V" isn't actually it's own mark/style of armour, it's field and chapter/legion mods to Mk IV and earlier suits as a stop-gap measure.

None of those in the pictures were unique "patterns", those just had different bling attached for the purposes of bling.

Quote Originally Posted by faolan View Post
    "Mk V" isn't actually it's own mark/style of armour, it's field and chapter/legion mods to Mk IV and earlier suits as a stop-gap measure.
    It used to be. Way back in the day, the quick explanation given of Heresy armor was that casualties were so high during the heresy that Legions would recruit faster than was normal, and armor could not be repaired/replaced quickly enough. Since they had to equip those recruits, the forges took the unfinished plans for Mk VII and produced a weaker mark of Power Armor. The fluff specified that Mk VI was extremely rare and prized in those days, being the most recent variant.

Then everything I knew got retconned...

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    Appearance wise, I'm not sure, they have fairly different silhouettes, might look kinda off? I thinnnk Tartaros and Cataphractii would look okay side by side, but Indomitus' more "hunched" look might interfere.
    I actually think Indomitus and Tartaros would go together better, and Cataphractii would feel out of place.

The details (e.g. aquila on chest) match up far better between Indomitus and Tartaros, whereas the Cataphractii have details that are far more similar to very early Imperial iconography (think of the arrow/lightning bolts on Mk 1) and/or Chaos terminators.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Codpiece View Post
    it is mentioned in 'know no fear' the name of the suit, but i cant remember off the top of my head what it is LOL but it mentions that only the SMurfs have it.
    Anyone know what the name is/can look it up?

Quote Originally Posted by magickbk View Post
    It used to be.
    This.

None of those in the pictures were unique "patterns", those just had different bling attached for the purposes of bling.
    Which is only slightly true of all Marine armour.

Oooo, magickbk's comment reminded me of this; [URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ultramarines_Honour_Company#.UGYMYPlERxs"]http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ultramarines_Honour_Company#.UGYMYPlERxs[/URL]

A Company near the Eye of Terror composed entirely of Ultramarines descendants - sounds perfect.
    Reverend, you may've just won the internet ...

I'd still like to find a good reason why it doesn't include UMs, though. This may require more thought.

Excellent, I've always wanted an internet

If you want to cut the Ultras out entirely; it notes that the number of Ultras dwindled following the 'Nids stomping on their homeworld - if you combine that with the recent fluff about them having a giant war with an Iron Warrior-lead chaos force in their system, you could probably fluff it out to "Due to the oncoming Bloodborn attack, all Ultramarines have been recalled from the Honour Company to protect Ultramar."

Excellent, I've always wanted an internet

If you want to cut the Ultras out entirely; it notes that the number of Ultras dwindled following the 'Nids stomping on their homeworld - if you combine that with the recent fluff about them having a giant war with an Iron Warrior-lead chaos force in their system, you could probably fluff it out to "Due to the oncoming Bloodborn attack, all Ultramarines have been recalled from the Honour Company to protect Ultramar."
    Yeah, I just kinda want something along the lines of 'organised by the UMs, but includes only UM successors'. A bit like whichever of the Unforgiven were specifically set up by the Dark Angels to hunt the Fallen. Cos one more heresy can't hurt, right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast