BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Marine Biker HQs

After gaming last night I need help with a clarifying a couple of rules.

1. Command squads of veterans can ride bikes and have the option of being armed with a BP+CCW. I have always played that they can not get an extra attack from being armed with 2 weapons due to being mounted on the bike. However there was a FAQ that you can use a two handed weapon on a bike and the rules do not specifically say that you can not get this attack.

2. For the command squad kit, can you give the Apothecary any wargear upgrades? I would like to give him a lightning claw.

3. Can you give the Company champion or Company standard bearer any additional wargear upgrades? I would like to give them Melta guns!

Any help is appreciated!

Chaplain

Im thinking of investing in a "kor'sarro" on bike captain with an accompanying command squad so ive been thinking similar thoughts.

1. Theres nothing to my knowledge that prevents you from using a pistol + ccw on a bike.

2. This is the least clear thing to me, surely the apothecary is a vet, but then he is named different so wouldnt cry too much if hes not allowed wargear.

3. Not sure about the champion, but the standard bearer is definately able to take wargear as other vets. Champion becomes named differently so maybe not, same as the apothecary really.

Chapter-Master

The Khan with a bike command squad is vicious in assaults! I've been running mine with a Lightning claw and Storm Shield since I thought they couldn't get the extra attack anyhow. It works so well that I doubt I'll change it up much - I might make one vet have a power weapon and BP for kicks!

My regular opponents are learning to really dislike this unit - it's expensive but nasty! And when you roll a '6' on an important to wound roll it is great! It doesn't happen for me that often but watching a wraithlord suffer instant death on even a rare occassion is still worth it for me!
    Last edited by 40kGamer; 10-06-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

1. Absolutely you get the extra attack. being on a bike is irrelevant, and there is nothing in the rules that says otherwise.

2. Nope. No upgrades. An 'apothecary' isn't a 'veteran'.

3. Nope. A 'company champion' isn't a 'veteran'.

GW rules are pretty literal for something like this.
    Please visit my 40k Youtube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Da40kOrks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    3. Can you give the Company champion or Company standard bearer any additional wargear upgrades? I would like to give them Melta guns!
    Well, according to the Dark Angel FAQ:

"Q:When I upgrade Deathwing and Ravenwing models to Standard Bearers and Apothecaries, can they still use items such as lightning claws, thunder hammers and storm shields, assault cannons, meltaguns, flamers, and plasma guns?

A: Yes, because they are extraordinary individuals."

I would argue that by RAI they are allowed to buy upgrades as if they were veterans. If you played against me, I'd allow it.

You could always contact GW directly and see if you can get an official answer for tournament play.

Unless of course it's only Dark Angels who are "extraordinary individuals."

Chapter-Master

Maybe it's one of the few 'perks' Dark Angels have for being the 1st Legion!

Librarian

The difference is in the SM:C the Co. Champion and the Apothecary have their own stat. line and are upgrade characters.
    The DA Apothecary and Standard Bearer are normal members of the squad with Wargear upgrades.

Chaplain

Thing with the company champion is that he doesnt replace any of his wargear, simply gains more and changes stat line. Theres nothing to say you cant give the veteran wargear first then upgrade him to company champion. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing that makes it clear what order things should happen in.

Apothecary I agree with though, even though its daft that he cant take wargear, its the way they wrote the entry. Just like how it isnt a retinue, gg gamesworkshop :/.

Brother-Sergeant

its pretty simple.

If a model is called "Veteren" then he can have upgrades. If he is called "Company Champ" or "Apothecary", he cannot have those upgrades. When a vet becomes a company champ, his wargear is not grandfathered in with him.

There are a billion and one fluff reasons as to why a company champ SHOULD be able to carry a melta gun but Bobby Guilliman thinks otherwise.

Chaplain

His wargear is carried accross... otherwise hed have no power armour or anything and it also doesnt say "replacing" as it does with upgrades that do actually remove your old wargear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast