BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Librarian

I do the brushlicking thing, but not in leu of using the paint cleaner water, I do it after that. Here is the order

1) finish painting with this colour
    2) wash off brush in water
    3) dry off on towel
    4) reform brush tip with my mouth

sometimes it tastes really really weird
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Weird. I do most of these things.......except the dreadnaught. I scrub other things in there.

Chapter-Master

Let's see... I tend to try to roll all of my dice before rolling any of them a second time, so tend to have a pile of dead dice next to my tin. Doesn't seem to help me roll well at all.

Besides that... Well, I often forget about winning the game to do something thematicly cool, and then can't work out why my tactics didn't work.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

I find myself to be superstitious about the dice I use for different things. For example, when firing with some Inquisitorial Henchmen I will use black and red dice to differentiate weapons, but I try to use green ones when firing with the guy with the plasma gun. I also prefer to use ivory/bone dice for their armor saves when they get attacked, I think because I equate that color with my old Deathwing squad when I got those dice (back in 2nd Edition) which had my heaviest armor. When fighting or shooting with my Inquisitor, I try to use the old Inquisitor dice. Each army also has color coordinated dice, and I am convinced that if I use the wrong dice, that my rolls will suffer. The dice gods are fickle...

Off-topic, I use a tiny amount of dish detergent on my sculpting tools when working with green stuff.

My strangest habit seems to be that I can't play a completely evil army. I always make up some sort of background story for my armies, and it inevitably results in ambiguity as to whether they are the good guys or not, or who have some sort of tragic explanation for their actions. It isn't on purpose, it just goes that direction. For example, I'll decide to start a Chaos army. Then it will be that during the Heresy they were tricked by Horus into attacking Loyalists. Then they've been fighting for 10,000 years for their own aims, slowly becoming mutated by exposure to the Warp while they've sheltered in the Eye and Maelstrom and so forth. If I try playing an army that has no possible good intentions, like Tyranids, then somehow I never get anything painted and they disappear into my closet and I forget I had them.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by magickbk View Post
    My strangest habit seems to be that I can't play a completely evil army. I always make up some sort of background story for my armies, and it inevitably results in ambiguity as to whether they are the good guys or not, or who have some sort of tragic explanation for their actions. It isn't on purpose, it just goes that direction. For example, I'll decide to start a Chaos army. Then it will be that during the Heresy they were tricked by Horus into attacking Loyalists. Then they've been fighting for 10,000 years for their own aims, slowly becoming mutated by exposure to the Warp while they've sheltered in the Eye and Maelstrom and so forth. If I try playing an army that has no possible good intentions, like Tyranids, then somehow I never get anything painted and they disappear into my closet and I forget I had them.
    I used to do that. Then I discovered Everblight. It's been downhill from there - I'll be starting Dark Elves soon, for Fantasy.

Maybe I just like Elves who make terrible decisions...
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by steelrudi View Post
    Weird. I do most of these things.......except the dreadnaught. I scrub other things in there.
    Thank God I'm not the only one!
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

let start a small list of weird things i picked up over the years:

Playing:
    1. Dice - i always play tournaments with my white dice - never lost one until someon decided to steal 10 from me i wasd heart broken still looking for 10 white GW dice
    2. i always follow a strickt way of setting up my army - call it my autism
    3. armies are packed in a spesific way - of its not packed that way im not playing
    4. dice kissing - yes i do!
    5. 3 bad rolls and the dice are out!
    6. no one touches my dice not even to hand them to me
    7. i only use written army lists - i do have printed ones since i have docters handwriting
    8. codexes and rulebooks they are mine - do not touch them!
    9. tape measure - still using the same one after a looooong time
    10. mini's dont touch unless asked

hobby
    1. painting - i do lick my brush love it and often have painted teeth
    2. painting - using my right hand as pallette
    3. painting - use spit a lubericant for GS
    4. painting - always have a cup of coffee next to my water cup (yes you geassed it mistakes happen)
    5. painting - dinking from the waterup
    6. modelling - talking to myself while sculpting
    7. modelling - sculpting a particular piece over and over and then keeping the first in the end

The list can keep going on and on ... i have a lot of "weird" things

ooh and scrubbing your dreadnought hahahahahahahaha i love that one its a new chocking ur chicken

mix and control paint amounts on my left hand and thumb. It's always covered in squiggles of paint and I always get asked "what happened?" due to the large amounts of reds I use since it looks like cuts and bruises.

Librarian

My strangest habit seems to be that I can't play a completely evil army. I always make up some sort of background story for my armies, and it inevitably results in ambiguity as to whether they are the good guys or not, or who have some sort of tragic explanation for their actions.
    That's not weird. That just shows you like moral complexity in your storytelling. Which is a good thing. It's like in the poem "Vultures":

Vultures, by Chinua Achebe

In the greyness
    and drizzle of one despondent
    dawn unstirred by harbingers
    of sunbreak a vulture
    perching high on broken
    bone of a dead tree
    nestled close to his
    mate his smooth
    bashed-in head, a pebble
    on a stem rooted in
    a dump of gross
    feathers, inclined affectionately
    to hers. Yesterday they picked
    the eyes of a swollen
    corpse in a water-logged
    trench and ate the things in its bowel. Full
    gorged they chose their roost
    keeping the hollowed remnant
    in easy range of cold
    telescopic eyes ...
    Strange
    indeed how love in other
    ways so particular
    will pick a corner
    in that charnel-house
    tidy it and coil up there, perhaps
    even fall asleep - her face
    turned to the wall!
    ...Thus the Commandant at Belsen
    Camp going home for
    the day with fumes of
    human roast clinging
    rebelliously to his hairy
    nostrils will stop
    at the wayside sweet-shop
    and pick up a chocolate
    for his tender offspring
    waiting at home for Daddy's return ...
    Praise bounteous
    providence if you will
    that grants even an ogre
    a tiny glow-worm
    tenderness encapsulated
    in icy caverns of a cruel
    heart or else despair
    for in every germ
    of that kindred love is
    lodged the perpetuity
    of evil.

As for my weird hobby habits? Probably my OCD bits boxes. I have about ten of them now, most with about twenty compartments, all categorised and compartmentalised by bit.

Librarian

well moddelling.
    i use GS and vaseline. ................. please remember clay shpers may look like brushes but they are not and vaseline tastes like a condom (clayshaper and vaseline eeeewwww, and the condom thing dont ask i was away on naughty weekend and the Mrs dared me to taste a bannana one..... never again)

although most mens legs (we think) are chunky enough to withstand abuse especially with denim covering them (jeans are 3+ i swear), using your leg as leverage when chopping up plastic or metal is not good.
    i have had a few close calls.

painting.
    yeah i use my mouth to point my brushes. please try to remember not to do this when using acrylic medium (like KLEAR/FUTURE) it tastes like what it is floor polish

my fingernails end up as imprompteu pallets, despite having a pellet there LOL

i have cleaned my brush a good few times in my tea/coffee despite them being on opposite ends of table
    and the opposite to the above has also happened a few times.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast