BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Initiate

If you don't think Orks are competitive, and for some reason, don't believe their constant tourney and GT wins, then try playing against a Nob/Nob Biker Army that is built for tourneys. That army rapes faces for practically EVERY army.

Simply put the strategy is this, equip a nob biker unit completely different for every model. That gets you seven to eight bikers I believe. Put a pain boy in the unit, which grants feel no pain and the ability for a 5+ invul. Throw in a war boss. Now the retardation begins.

Because every model is different in the unit, wounds can be spread out so that the combat effectiveness of the unit is still operating at 100% even though they may have taken 8 wounds. Also the minimum strength in the unit is 6, 7 on the charge. They have 4-5 attacks each and a toughness of 5. They also move flat out in one turn, and the next turn can charge. Couple that with the 4+armor (cover), feel no pain, 5+ invul, and it gets real dumb.

Now have two of these squads and two rather large units of nobs equipped VERY similarly in battle waggons and watch what happens. Lastly add in any other unit to fill in points. Oh and ALL of these units are scoring seeing as how they are all troops thanks to the twin warbosses. This army is ridiculously good. You can theory hammer in all day, but play it and you will immediately see what I mean.

Brother-Captain

Yeah, not so much.

For all the hype, Nob Bikers get demolished by any S8+ shooting and vehicles. A Battle Cannon dropped on their heads will kill 5/12 of any Nob it hits (5/18 if they boosted), after a round or two that unit is hurting. Once you've knock down their numbers, they are no longer Fearless and susceptible to Tank Shock and other morale effects (hello Battle Psykers/Psychic Scream!). They still aren't much better at nailing tanks either. Against a Land Raider, even with 10 models with PKs and a Boss you will get on average .37 destroyed results from the Nobs and .11 from the Boss, so not even a 50/50 shot.

Nob Bikers are the perfect example of a rock army: completely one-dimensional. They will smash armies not built to handle them, but any balanced list run by somebody halfway competent will see them off.

And you're looking at the proud owner of about 7 of the buggers

Brother-Sergeant

Ive had many a fun game facing off against orks. They are a fast, hard hitting army that has quite a few options and doesn't suffer from the animosity rule their fantasy counterparts do. If you want to be on the winning end of assaults orks are a great army, shooting leaves a bit to be desired but they do hit hard.
    Come all you Xeno scum and fallen heretics! Come face the one true might of the universe and wither under the Golden Throne's gaze!

I play Orks and I've had no problems with other armies. Any of them. That’s not to say I've never been beaten but never badly and not often.

I've seen all kinds of well if then that in this thread. If you plan on beating a unit then you can beat it it’s not that amazing of a revelation, but I submit that if face off against an Ork player and neither of you have tooled your armies up to fight one another it will a close game.

Veteran-Sergeant

Orks are great and are one of the better books in the current rules .

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789