BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

yeah ok

haha post 666 most chilled post ever
    Last edited by daboarder; 10-09-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Chapter-Master

personally I don't foresee my lord often being in a situation where he couldn't be replaced, in a unit with five terminators he should have space to go backwards if the enemies are all around the front and sides. Also, he has to issue challenges, so just move the duelling pair to the edge of the combat, sorted
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I'm just very touchy about this topic.

I've been playing for years and you wouldn't believe how much my armies have been shafter recently.

I play horde nids (ok they got better in 6th but they did get largely ruined by the 5th codex)
    Jump BA since 2nd (LOVING 6th's reserve rules /sarcasm)
    Nurgle Chaos (why oh why can't I play cult, I'd even happily take the I penalty for FNP)

its doesn't really sound bad when an army gets a mediocre release, and it sounds even less terrible when you say well only Nids and chaos have gotten those, but its hurts when those are BOTH the armies you play ya know.

Chapter-Master

well it all goes round and round, it is an evolving game, it grows, develops, things change, that is what keeps us interested. I had a world eaters army in third edition, in fourth edition they kinda sucked and were just seriously boring to play. now the codex has come round again and is better than it was. you never know, the way things are going these days there might be a white dwarf index astartes type list again with specific legion rules

the reserves thing is a tricky one, but playing against an entirely deep striking army doesn't always give your opponent much to do early on, so they may be happier about it than you are. I have an air cav army of elysians and they are all in flyers, so they don't arrive until turn two reserve rolls, so I lose the game on turn one because I have nothing on the board :P
    Last edited by Kirsten; 10-09-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Chapter-Master

Don't worry dude, I'm not trying to single you out or anything. We are all coming to grips with the codex and there are definitely issues that we all agree should be or should have been addressed.
    I do know how you feel, I have a friend who bought into Fantasy Daemons and also tried to do 40K Daemons but - as you can tell - he really got stuffed around by the Chaos Daemons codex. Now he talks about all the armies he wants to start and basically stops just short of saying he wants to auction them off.
    For me personally, nothing is quite like watching the majority of my Dark Eldar all of a sudden become near-useless overnight. A mate of mine, a very staunch player of them who absolutely loved them - they were his primary army - and knew the codex inside out now can't find the motivation to play with them anymore.
    IMO I think this Chaos release needs time, it isn't what we all wanted but it is at least an improvement.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 10-09-2012 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    they are not going to stay in those nicely ordered B2B positions in a real game or as soon as they have to pile in.

and the enemy models count as extra as you cannot be within 1' of them.
    True. What they're going to do, most of the time, is pack in even tighter--note that the grid I present is not the optimal stacking pattern for circles on a plane.

And yes, enemy models add an extra inch--but since they're still less than an inch each themselves, it still takes three enemies or four friendlies to trap a champion--less only with a particularly loose pattern.

Anyway, like I said, it's a stupid way to write the rule--it's not hard to make sure that the ascended champion is never in danger of dying as a result of the ascension, and that's how it should be--but, in practice, this is not going to come up very often.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    well it all goes round and round, it is an evolving game, it grows, develops, things change, that is what keeps us interested. I had a world eaters army in third edition, in fourth edition they kinda sucked and were just seriously boring to play. now the codex has come round again and is better than it was. you never know, the way things are going these days there might be a white dwarf index astartes type list again with specific legion rules

I actually really wouldn't be surprised if either Forge World or White Dwarf introduce Legion specific rules post-heresy. The Primarchs are probably still off limits for rules but I wouldn't mind a mini-codex supplement to have more legion options. With the Daemon updates they did recently, I think it might be a reality.

On Tyranids, I am thinking they are going to get some really massive rule changes. The fact that they can't take Allies or Fortifications indicates to me they are probably going to be getting some serious love to compensate when they are re-done. They are the most feared opponents of the Necrons and almost every race in the game, they should damn well reflect it. As long as pretty much the entire codex gets a serious points-decrease and quite a few units are re-tooled and wargear changed around, they should do well. Just keep Cruddance away from them.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 10-09-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Chapter-Master

I think they could well do, Jervis Johnson has said previously he would love to see a legion book, but really we don't need a book, just something supplementary. You could have done legion rules in one codex page really, just one tweak for each legion, and people would have been happy, so a white dwarf update would be easy to do

Chapter-Master

Yeah definitely, basically all you would need to do are minor tweaks i.e. true cult terminators, maybe an extra special character or two for the un-represented legions, some more specific rules for Alpha Legion and Night Lords such as purchasing Infiltrate, Raptors as Troops, etc.
    I hope so! I met a great guy on the weekend who is an ardent collector of Sisters of Battle and Alpha Legion, and he seemed pretty content with the situation for both - he mostly made light of it. However, you can tell a lot of players are getting the short end of the stick.

Chapter-Master

well as the saying goes you can never please everyone all the time. a one a month series for nine months in white dwarf would be awesome. It wouldn't even have to be a special character, it could be a wargear option, give me a warsmith lord, and even something simple like the ability to take an extra fortification, and I would be happy

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast