BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    They're not (normally) arbitrary. I don't know what UK traffic code is, but there's a complex set of guidelines that civil engineers use to determine safe speeds on roads. And, yes, they do include factors to take into account that people won't follow the speed limit.
    Nah speed limits are 30mph built up areas and 60mph none built up. 70mph motorways and dual carriageways.
    All this is then subject to local councils overruling to apply local signposted limits, case in point I drive down a road between two counties, identical conditions in both, one has it lowered to 50mph and likes to put a speed camera van on it.
    Obviously roads are designed with particular sppeds in mind as well with regard to camber and angles of the bends, but that's a different issue, they tend to put a max speed xxMPH sign before the bend for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

Stationery, waiting to turn right? Start your turn, only to have a motorcyclist overtake and slam into your drivers side? (Change that to turning left to make sense in the US!) Clearly the drivers fault for failing to check for dickheads.
    Surely that's entirely dependent on if you're indicating or not? If the muppet passes you and you're indicating there's no_one to blame but the muppet...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Nah speed limits are 30mph built up areas and 60mph none built up. 70mph motorways and dual carriageways.
    All this is then subject to local councils overruling to apply local signposted limits, case in point I drive down a road between two counties, identical conditions in both, one has it lowered to 50mph and likes to put a speed camera van on it.
    Obviously roads are designed with particular sppeds in mind as well with regard to camber and angles of the bends, but that's a different issue, they tend to put a max speed xxMPH sign before the bend for that.
    Huh, well, I guess it sucks to be in England. We only arbitrarily designate speed limits in places where it really does make sense, like school entrances and residential roads are 25mph because of all the kids running around.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Occuli Imperator

Roundabouts (islands) are great they are so much better for traffic flow than traffic lights, unfortunately most idiots don't use them correctly, or they stick traffic lights on them which really messes the whole through put up
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Huh, well, I guess it sucks to be in England. We only arbitrarily designate speed limits in places where it really does make sense, like school entrances and residential roads are 25mph because of all the kids running around.
    No they're essentially the default settings if there are no repeater signs, there are plenty of 40 and 50 mph roads in towns and cities, it's about location and signage...
    Anyway I thought your fastest roads were limited to 55mph?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Roundabouts (islands) are great they are so much better for traffic flow than traffic lights, unfortunately most idiots don't use them correctly, or they stick traffic lights on them which really messes the whole through put up
    you mean the idiots that look blankly at you after you've warned them of your presence cause they've drove straight across ignoring the lines?

Occuli Imperator

Exactly, becuase you have to take islands with a straight a line as possible ignoring signs and road markings
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Yeah I have to contend daily with them racing up the right lane then trying to go straight across ¬_¬

Chapter-Master

O/T

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    [url]http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/intelligence-and-the-brain/201009/the-confusing-concept-iq[/url]

"IQ is only stable because of how IQ represents differences in intelligence across people - it is not a direct measure of how people perform on an intelligence test, but a comparison with other people of the same age."

If I was included in that study, I probably would have thrown that study for a loop seeing as my IQ was measured in the 130's. And yet, when I was stoned, I was able to play [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJbMqFbcqQ4]one of the most complicated games ever made for the PC[/url] while giggling at the chaotic dance happening around me with george carlin playing in the background.
    A fair point about IQ, though I don't think Descent was really all that hard. Admittedly, I never played it stoned...

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    No they're essentially the default settings if there are no repeater signs, there are plenty of 40 and 50 mph roads in towns and cities, it's about location and signage...
    Anyway I thought your fastest roads were limited to 55mph?
    We have roads with no speed limit in some places. It varies from state to state. Most places will have 70-75mph on freeways outside of cities and mountains, and 65 in the city. And realistically everyone tends to treat that as the minimum speed limit, so most people are driving up to 10mph over that. A lot of people go faster as well, but they're the ones who get a lot of speeding tickets. Small roads usually but not always, top out at 55, but 45 is most common. It depends on how windy the road is, and whether or not it's in the city as well.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456