BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default A (forge)fiendish problem!

Well, I acquired a Forgefiend kit over the weekend, and upon digging in to the directions, I discovered an interesting problem: There are no part numbers marked anywhere in the instructions. This wouldn't be overly troubling, except for the fact that the Forgefiend has several fiddly bits which a) aren't shown well in the images and b) will go badly wrong if put on in the wrong way! Of special note for me was the shoulders, which ended up going on backwards, and which makes the shoulderguards impossible to fit without some creative filing down. All in all, a rather disappointing showing, especially considering the pricetag.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

I did think it was silly there was no numbers. But i got it together no problem.

Thats what dry fitting is for!
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Whilst I agree that part numbers are a good idea and leaving them off is a step backward, not sure how they would have helped stop putting something on backwards?

I'm sure I remember a time when you didn't even get instructions in most of the boxes... rambles off about ye good old days

That's just it though, I did dry-fit, and it seemed to fit better the "wrong" way for the shoulders, which is why I would have liked part numbers. And yes, I built some of the old-old kits like the Predator with pewter sponsons which had no instructions.

At least the GW Customer Service minions said that the Heldrake kit instructions are properly numbered-- for $76 (FLGS price), that thing had better kill flyers, and marines, sing, dance, and bring me a beer afterward!
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

Funnily enough, the Heldrake is $83 here in Australia yet the Forge/Maulerfiend is $90. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by isotope99 View Post
    Whilst I agree that part numbers are a good idea and leaving them off is a step backward, not sure how they would have helped stop putting something on backwards?

I'm sure I remember a time when you didn't even get instructions in most of the boxes... rambles off about ye good old days
    Ye Good Olde Dayes had fewer 100 part kits too.
    Thou had fewer partes to lose whilst thou wert ambling uphylle in twain dyrections to-and-fro school whilst it twere snoweing a right jollie blizzard.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    Well, I acquired a Forgefiend kit over the weekend, and upon digging in to the directions, I discovered an interesting problem: There are no part numbers marked anywhere in the instructions. This wouldn't be overly troubling, except for the fact that the Forgefiend has several fiddly bits which a) aren't shown well in the images and b) will go badly wrong if put on in the wrong way! Of special note for me was the shoulders, which ended up going on backwards, and which makes the shoulderguards impossible to fit without some creative filing down. All in all, a rather disappointing showing, especially considering the pricetag.
    Yeah, I built mine as a Maulerfiend and found that I had built the wrong pair of rear legs for it, so the smaller "shoulder guard" things wouldn't fit on. Thankfully, I had not glued the legs on yet, so I could then assemble the proper legs.

But on a model like this, the instructions should be numbered.

Veteran-Sergeant

I went Maulerfiend on it but have made sufficient mods to it so that I can if need be field a modified ForgeFiend. After all, Chaos Warpsmiths are hardly going to work to a set schematic for their bizarre creations...