BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default 2010 is the year of the New Edition

Sources say that 2010 is going to the "year of WFB", centered around the release of the next edition.

No dates, but it keeps coming up in the chatter.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

The Dark Mechanic

I was just speculating with a friend last night about what two armies would or should be included in the new WHFB starter set most likely coming next year. Battle For Skull Pass is a good set, but Goblins and Dwarfs are probably not the best or most iconic choices to sell Fantasy Battle to brand new customers. It didn't take us long to arrive at the conclusion that Bretonnians and Chaos Warriors would be the best choices for new, simple starter set plastics. Here are some reasons:
    1) They are both human based armies which are generally more popular in pure sales volume, especially with beginners.
    2) Bretonnians are an icon of good with their knights in shining armor and the other, Chaos, is a twisted, menacing flip side of that. Both are archetypes of what fantasy games are all about, especially Warhammer. Visually, these models explain themselves at a glance, making it easier to understand for the prospective beginners and therefore easier to sell for GW staff. Both armies are fairly easy to understand. I don't mean their rules, though that is also true. I mean the armies themselves. For prospective new fantasy game customers it can sometimes be difficult to understand the underlying concepts behind the models and associated games. These armies are easy to understand at a glance as visually they are Knights and Evil Knights, something not too hard to grasp for complete novices to the hobby. The ability to describe these armies in simplistic terms without much knowledge of underlying myth and legend makes them easy to market to people unfamiliar with fantasy literature or games.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 10-06-2009 at 11:21 PM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Brother-Captain

I think it is entirely probably that a new version is in the works, but unless they fix fear and Immmune to psych they won't save the game.

New box? They really like to place greenskins in it! As long as its not daemons or vampires I'll probably buy the box - if the rules suck - I'm done with fantasy.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Scorpion View Post
    It didn't take us long to arrive at the conclusion that Bretonnians and Chaos Warriors would be the best choices for new, simple starter set plastics.
    I'm sure the decision has been made but I absolutely agree with you. Lets get all John Blanche with WHFB.

Brother-Captain

Actually I can't see them doing two 'human' armies. Part of the appeal to fantasy is fantasy races.

I think the empire, brets, and HE ara legitmate options for good, as are greenskins, dark elves, Chaos.

I think they like to market the idea of a fantasty realm, not just one of good and evil knights.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Azaghul View Post
    Actually I can't see them doing two 'human' armies. Part of the appeal to fantasy is fantasy races.

I think the empire, brets, and HE ara legitmate options for good, as are greenskins, dark elves, Chaos.

I think they like to market the idea of a fantasty realm, not just one of good and evil knights.
    I tend to agree here, but it wouldn't surprise me for them to do an Empire vs. Warriors of Chaos box either. That would play off of the WAR online pairing and could potentially attract people that way. Even better, I think, would be an Empire vs General Chaos, with them throwing in some Beasts and some Warriors. Probably won't happen, but I think that would support the fantasy aspect even more. Who knows!

i'm thinking empire/brettonians and daemons

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by twistinthunder View Post
    i'm thinking empire/brettonians and daemons
    I think the last thing they need to do rigth now it release the daemons in the starters set.

I bloody hope not! Ive only just brought this editions rulebook!

This hobby sucks sometimes!
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Captain

I for one hope the rumor is true, the current state of fantasy is a rapidly deteriorating one. If gw can not find/release a fix for the probelms they created soon the game will find it self pushed to the back selves.

My personally after about 8-10 back to back games gainst either daemons or vampires in touriments I didn't even want to play... it took a couple of months for my friends to convince me to bring my dwarves/greenskins back out... the frustrating part: it just not fun playing against an army that you need a good set of 'Luck" to beat. The only army I hated at the start of 7th was vampires, and I could still beat an average player however by the end of it daemons and vampires were both so highly powered that only poor players using them lost, its just not fun to feel like nothing you makes a diffrence cause they can either raise it back up, or your own turn of shooting wasn't enough to stop his/her army.

To me it seems that when 40-60% of touriniment goes play the same 2-3 armies, for over a year = something is wrong with the game.

I think if GW places one of the power armies in the next starter box it will only hurt their sales, because a lot of long time hobbiest have a bad taste in their mouths from those books.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast